Anthony Alford

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
RagleGumm

Anthony Alford

Post by RagleGumm »

At Indianapolis, Anthony Alford has put up a ridiculous slash line: .301/.424/.555. And he's hit eleven doubles and eleven home runs. Altogether, that's good for a wRC+ of 159.

At this point, there's no reason not to DFA Polanco and give Alford another shot. The Pirates aren't going to pay Polanco $12.5 million next year, making a $3 million buyout inevitable. So why bother giving him ABs now? The Pirates might as well see if Alford might be a long-term piece (or at least a placeholder for one of the outfield prospects in 2022).

Plus, DFAing Polanco and promoting Alford would allow them to make a cascade of promotions--Cal Mitchell or Canaan Smith-Njigba or even Oneil Cruz to AAA, Matthew Fraizer to AA.

It's obviously a shame things didn't work out with Polanco. But his best shot now likely is signing a minor league deal elsewhere in the offseason in the hopes that a change of scenery will make him a serviceable enough player.
bucco boy

Re: Anthony Alford

Post by bucco boy »

I agree with this.

The only thing I will say is Alford seems like a 4A player. With that said, all these guys need to play to find out if they are legit major leaguers.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
RagleGumm

Post by RagleGumm »

bucco boy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:24 pm I agree with this.

The only thing I will say is Alford seems like a 4A player. With that said, all these guys need to play to find out if they are legit major leaguers.
Yep, that's my sense of Alford, too. I doubt he'll be more than a 4A guy. But he's certainly earned a promotion. If nothing else, it's a good signal to minor league free agents: if you perform at Indianapolis you'll get a shot in Pittsburgh.

In any case, this was probably more of a thread about Polanco than Alford. He hit well in July, posting a 136 wRC+, albeit in limited action. But the Pirates couldn't trade him, so it's clearly over for him now. So why keep him on the roster any longer...?
Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

Out of respect for the person, and the many years of service, is why you keep Polanco on the roster.

But they could still make room for Alford. He definitely deserves another shot.

You could dump Oviedo would be one alternative.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Colin Moran and Erik Gonzalez are at AAA for rehab.

Who on the roster would you drop when these guys are ready?

I'm guessing Nogowski is one.

At this point, I'd let Kevin Newman go.
BucFanInPhillyLand

Post by BucFanInPhillyLand »

Ralphie wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 pm Out of respect for the person, and the many years of service, is why you keep Polanco on the roster.

I think they've given Polanco enough respect. They can keep him around for pinch hitting the rest of the year, but please no more starts.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

RagleGumm wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 pm

At this point, there's no reason not to DFA Polanco
There edited it for you. :lol:
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Ralphie wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 pm Out of respect for the person, and the many years of service, is why you keep Polanco on the roster.

Polanco being run out there every night is an insult to every fan who they are trying to sell this rebuild too! Sorry don't care about loyal service in this case. Guy is a total bust, and makes Jeff King look like A Rod! He's part of the past and needs to go!

Reminds me of how the PIrates stupidly kept signing Jose Hernandez, the worthless POS that they got when the League forced them to trade Ramirez. Way to go management. Keep running out evidence of your past failures as you try to get the fans to buy the new look!
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

I do understand that it is very unlikely he is part of our future and we should be playing guys that have a chance. I am not trying to stir the pot, but Polanco is Polanco.He looks awful for a period of time, then he looks like he is going to break out to be that projected all star. It was fun for me watching him play last night. 2 hits, 2 walks and robbing a home run. He even showed emotion on that. Since the all star break, he is one of the Pirate's best players. He has all 5 of the Pirates stolen bases(post all star) which might be the most shocking part. It is hard to believe he is still only 29.

On a side note: I might have picked the wrong game to go to Indy, but it was frustrated to see Alford not run out a grounder. He has had 4 cups of coffee to the majors where his best major league average was .214. It is .150 lifetime. He really did impress me in spring. At age 27 this could be his last chance.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

A career WAR less than 5 for a guy with almost 8 full seasons in the books, while Brian Reynolds is knocking on 8 WAR in not even two full seasons is just pathetic. Especially when you think about who he was compared to back in 13 and 14! I can't believe they are just waiting until after the season to save Nutting a few bucks, rather than DFA him now. Fine, keep him on the roster as a pinch hitter, but bench him! He should never start another game this season!
Az Bucco fan

Post by Az Bucco fan »

So who do you run out there Corsair?....I have seen enough of Phillip Evans, K'ai, Alford etc. Would you rather see that bunch? Gamel may be serviceable but isn't a world beater. Nogowski is the feel good story but he has been hitting lately like he doesn't feel so good and the Colin Moran will be back soon. I hope Nogowski doesn't stroke out. He seems a bit high strung. Unfortunately, he is the best option right now. I am not insulted as a fan because a player is not playing well. It is however, disturbing when players are going through the motions...any sport.... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Put the Korean kid in the outfield! I don't care. Just sick of the optics of Polanco! Period! Having to continually look at one of the biggest busts in team history, and a prime reason, why we are in a total rebuild is just sickening to me! Just my opinion.

BTW Polanco has a worse WAR than Evans and Gamel this year, so yeah playing either of those over him gives the team an infinitesimally slightly better chance to win a Major League game! So there :lol:
BucFanInPhillyLand

Post by BucFanInPhillyLand »

No one is sicker of Polanco than I am. I was SO hoping he'd be dealt at the trade deadline. When he wasn't , I was thinking "Just release him" or resign him to a pinch hitting role. I just don't want to see him start in RF. So, as I see him being marched out there every night, the thinking might be that we have nothing to lose by giving him a chance to get his numbers up by the end of the year, thus opening up the possibility of a greater return if traded during the off season. If he tanks, which I expect, then you kick him to the curb as planned. Maybe he can get hot and get to 20 HR's.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

BucFanInPhillyLand wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:36 pm No one is sicker of Polanco than I am. I was SO hoping he'd be dealt at the trade deadline. When he wasn't , I was thinking "Just release him" or resign him to a pinch hitting role. I just don't want to see him start in RF. So, as I see him being marched out there every night, the thinking might be that we have nothing to lose by giving him a chance to get his numbers up by the end of the year, thus opening up the possibility of a greater return if traded during the off season. If he tanks, which I expect, then you kick him to the curb as planned. Maybe he can get hot and get to 20 HR's.
Polanco has a club option for next season with a $4 mill buyout.

He is most definitely getting bought out.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:27 pm
BucFanInPhillyLand wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:36 pm No one is sicker of Polanco than I am. I was SO hoping he'd be dealt at the trade deadline. When he wasn't , I was thinking "Just release him" or resign him to a pinch hitting role. I just don't want to see him start in RF. So, as I see him being marched out there every night, the thinking might be that we have nothing to lose by giving him a chance to get his numbers up by the end of the year, thus opening up the possibility of a greater return if traded during the off season. If he tanks, which I expect, then you kick him to the curb as planned. Maybe he can get hot and get to 20 HR's.
Polanco has a club option for next season with a $4 mill buyout.

He is most definitely getting bought out.
So, to my eye that means playing him is a pretty pointless exercise, or am I missing something?