Where Did The Padres Get All The Money?!

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Dan_Stonerook

Where Did The Padres Get All The Money?!

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Looks like Scherzer is going to San Diego.

They were at the luxury limit with the Frazier trade.
statscbl

Re: Where Did The Padres Get All The Money?!

Post by statscbl »

I am guessing they aren't afraid to pay a luxury tax to win. The Padres had losing records from 2011 to 2019. The final ingredient to a rebuilding process is not being afraid to spend money when the time is right.
RagleGumm

Post by RagleGumm »

Based on what I've read, Scherzer's contract is so loaded with deferrals and bonuses that the Padres will only be taking a $12 million or so hit against the luxury limit.

Still, it looks like they're also trying to get Hosmer's contract off the books. No doubt they'll be looking to swallow a big chunk of that contract and repeat the James Shields trade that somehow netted them Fernando Tatis, Jr.
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

statscbl wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:47 pm I am guessing they aren't afraid to pay a luxury tax to win. The Padres had losing records from 2011 to 2019. The final ingredient to a rebuilding process is not being afraid to spend money when the time is right.
Wish we could have taken that approach.Or at the level they are doing it at.
“The Autumn Wind Is A Pirate”
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:37 pm Looks like Scherzer is going to San Diego.

And by the Padres you mean the Dodgers ;)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/ ... urner.html
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Rellimie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:44 am
Dan_Stonerook wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:37 pm Looks like Scherzer is going to San Diego.

They reported a few hours ago that it was nearly done with the Padres. I'm not sure what happened, but now it is nearly done with the Dodgers. My guess is the Nationals keep leaking the stories.
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

statscbl wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 am
Rellimie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:44 am

They reported a few hours ago that it was nearly done with the Padres. I'm not sure what happened, but now it is nearly done with the Dodgers. My guess is the Nationals keep leaking the stories.
I actually think it was a money issue for the Padres. They needed to move Hosmer and they couldn't. The Dodgers were able to take more the contracts than the Padres.