No more Short Season A Leagues????

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Corsair

No more Short Season A Leagues????

Post by Corsair »

Can anyone answer this question. I noticed that in their reshuffling of the minor leagues, MLB got rid of the Short season A Ball classification, like the New York Penn League. That is where they used to send college age and older draft picks, while they sent the prep players to Spring training sites, which I see they still have listed. So do all the new draft picks now go to the training complexes?
Az Bucco fan

Re: No more Short Season A Leagues????

Post by Az Bucco fan »

They go there and to Low A if older. Many of the rookie league cities now have summer college league franchises.
Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

There are two rookie leagues one in Florida and one in Arizona. Pirates have two squads full of rookies in Bradenton. I forget what term they use but it's not rookie leagues
OctoberBigBalls

Post by OctoberBigBalls »

Florida Complex League (FCL); Arizona Complex League (AZL)

The Pirates' draftees this year were assigned to either of their FCL teams: Black or Gold. I assume some get up to Low A - Bradenton by the end of the year.

Upon further inspection, it looks like all the draftees are getting listed on the FCL Pirates Gold team when they join.