Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bixler/Diaz/Cedeno/Crosby
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:49 pm 

DK notes in a recent article that Bixler's acquisition could be a sign that the Pirates are going to promote Argenis Diaz.

Setting aside Bixler's talents (or lack thereof), I'm curious about the comment relating to Diaz' anticipated promotion. Specifically, who leaves?

The FO seems disenchanted with Cedeno and deservedly so. Crosby seems to be nothing more than a back up and his glove has been awful. Is Cedeno on the verge of being traded? Is he on the verge of being released? Isn't Cedeno the likely candidate for being removed?

Post subject: Re: Bixler/Diaz/Cedeno/Crosby
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:01 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Don't know.

It would fly in the face of a couple things (though these might not be overriding factors to management).

1. By some metrics I read, he is the best defensive SS in the NL. (jus say'n)
2. He is starting to look like he is beginning one of his hitting rolls right up to the break.

Maybe they've had enough of the inconsistencies and believe Diaz will be a consistent performer at SS, if nothing else.

Or, maybe they've seen enough of Crosby.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:19 pm 

If Diaz is called up to start, then it seems he would replace Cedeno. Crosby is a back-up at SS, 2B, 3B, 1B, and is enough of a hitter to come off the bench as a pinch-hitter.

That is not the case for Cedeno or Diaz.

If he is called up to be a back-up, then it would seem likely that he is going to replace Crosby, since I just cannot see Crosby handling the starting job for the next 74 games. By process of elimination, that leaves Cedeno as the starter.

And process of elimination should not be the way to select a starting player ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:29 pm 

Crosby stinks. Bixler stinks. It's up to Cedeno for now although I would give Diaz a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 pm 

If Diaz comes up, it will be to start. I don't know which between Cedeno and Crosby is sent packing. Neither has much value, but if Crosby goes, who backs up first?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:16 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
If Diaz comes up, it will be to start. I don't know which between Cedeno and Crosby is sent packing. Neither has much value, but if Crosby goes, who backs up first?

Could be a sign that they want to see if Diaz can be a part of the future plan. If that's the case the job should be his through year's end. As for 1B...again, Pearce's injury really killing the Pirates. We could do worse than Laroche at first. (Doumit)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:29 pm 

Appears to me that a trade is in the future. IMO Cedeno might be going somewhere for who knows what.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:58 pm 

It would be nice to have Jack Wilson back now. Oh, I forgot? We got Cedeno AND Jeff Clement for him. What a great deal.

But, we did come out money ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
It would be nice to have Jack Wilson back now. Oh, I forgot? We got Cedeno AND Jeff Clement for him. What a great deal.

You mean the Jack Wilson with .586 OPS who got benched last month. And guess what? Cedeno's numbers are better Jack's. Nice comparison.

And way to leave the three pitching prospects out again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:17 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:

Jack Wilson has been beaten out for the starting job by Josh Wilson. That's when he's healthy enough to be on the active roster. Yeah, Jack would be SUCH a help to this team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:25 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:

Yes, wouldn't it be nice to have good ol' Jack Wilson back? I know I would just love to have back our old shortstop who is currently hitting worse than our current shortstop.

As has been illustrated, your sarcasm is ill-informed and unwarranted. I suggest you wax idiotic somewhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 pm 

Willton wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

Yes, wouldn't it be nice to have good ol' Jack Wilson back? I know I would just love to have back our old shortstop who is currently hitting worse than our current shortstop.

As has been illustrated, your sarcasm is ill-informed and unwarranted. I suggest you wax idiotic somewhere else.

I rather see a player who plays better defense, and actually cares about winning in Pittsburgh in Wilson.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:49 pm 

Willton wrote:

You are of course overlooking the great pitching contributions of Ian Snell.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 pm 

I think there are some members of this board who remember Jack Wilson when he was on top of his game, not the Jack Wilson we have seen the last 2 years or so. Even before we got rid of him, you could see a visible difference in him from years ago in his inconsistent hitting, lack of range in the field and lack of arm strength on his throws (not that he ever had a great arm, but a decent enough one). The simple fact is he just isn't the kind of player he once was and any GM willing to pay that kind of money for a player like the current Jack is insane.

Let's also remember Ronny Cedeno hasn't really disappointed anyone. We all knew when we got him what kind of player he was. A guy with decent tools, a terrible hitter who plays capable defense with an above average arm and pretty good range. You can't fault the front office for at least trying to find out what Diaz can bring to the team at this level and how he fares against MLB pitching. And we all probably can agree on the fact we don't need to see anymore Bixler at this level...ever :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:38 pm 

Since 2007 Jack Wilson hasn't been able to play more than 106 games or hit better than .272... and he has a lifetime .682 OPS.

As of right now, the only difference between Jack Wilson and Ronny Cedeno are the names on the back of their respective jerseys.

The only benefit of having Jumpin' Jack in black and gold right now would be to remember fonder days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:54 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I rather see a player who plays better defense, and actually cares about winning in Pittsburgh in Wilson.

Actually Wilson has more errors than Cedeno, but who's counting. And I love that quote from Cedeno on how he loves to lose.

What a maroon!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:00 am 

Ryann wrote:
Willton wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

And I'd rather have a player that can actually contribute toward winning in Pittsburgh. Substituting Wilson for Cedeno would be a step away from furthering that goal. I don't give a damn whether a player wants to win more if he cannot actually help the team do so.

Yes, Cedeno is bad, but Wilson is worse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:22 am 

I wonder if Ryann ever gets tired of stepping in his own poop?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:08 am 

Ralphie wrote:

If Crosby is dealt, it will probably be Andy LaRoche as the backup at 1st, and I think Kratz has played there too...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:29 am 

To be precise (according to The Baseball Cube and the Indianapolis Indians), Kratz has played 1B 27 times over a pro career that began in 2002 and now spans 612 games. Most recently at AA three years ago with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats.