Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 08/15/12 Pirates (64-52) vs Dodgers (64-53)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 am 

BBF wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:
Just returned home from the library. I see Wandy Rodriguez has turned in another fine performance tonight. If my math is correct, that's 30 hits and 15 earned runs in 30-2/3 IP over four starts. Impressive. With a little more effort, he still has a chance to equal Matt Morris' record of 41 hits and 24 earned runs in his first five Pirate starts.

His problem is he doesn't strike people out like he used to. He got blooped and flared to death tonight. Of the 10 hits, I think I counted 3 that were well struck. Having said that, he certainly is looking more like a back end of the rotation guy not a number 3.

Just think how fun it will be when he exercises that player option in 2014. With a Zach Duke-esque K rate, should be fun to watch.

Its a shame that no one saw his lowering K rate and declined velocity as a problem, oh wait a minute, several of us did. I would disagree with the bloop/flare analysis, from my view a few rows behind home plate, most of those balls were solid struck line drives. I honestly can't figure out how he was so successful at home in Houston. I'd be willing to be that Locke or Rudy could have manned the spot in the rotation with similar results, less salary, and 6 years of team control.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm 

I'm not trying to defend Wandy because he hasn't gotten the job done. I thought he'd be a solid middle of the rotation guy for us. But last night, those balls were not solidly struck...swinging bunts, broken bat hits, jam shots. Again, I think I counted 3 hits that were struck well. Again, not trying to defend...more of a when it rains it pours analysis of things...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:09 pm 

I wonder how different the game would have been if he would have gotten the call on the full count to the guy batting in the 3rd inning last night with one out when the runner broke for 2nd? It could have been an inning ending double play (punch'em out, throw'em out) and the game is still tied at one, but the Dodgers took a 2 to 1 lead with the walk extending the inning.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:24 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I wonder how different the game would have been if he would have gotten the call on the full count to the guy batting in the 3rd inning last night with one out when the runner broke for 2nd? It could have been an inning ending double play (punch'em out, throw'em out) and the game is still tied at one, but the Dodgers took a 2 to 1 lead with the walk extending the inning.

It really was a Zach Duke start, lots of hits, no K's and many whatifs regarding the defense/umps. Yeah, you can strand a ton of runners on singles, but that's not a viable success strategy longterm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:21 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
The worst part of the situation is we won't do a damn thing in the offseason other than add a bullpen arm, maybe.

The OF will be Cutch, Marte, Snider, with Tabata & Presley as fallbacks.

The IF will be Jones/ Sanchez, 2B Walker, SS will be Barmes (don't see us eating 5 million), and 3B will be a sketchy Pedro.

Catch will be the Fort and who knows.

Rotation will be Burnett, Wandy, JMac, Karstens, and Wilson/ Locke/ Cole competing for a spot.

That's it. Same team. Will be a 'the players we have just have to play better' approach once again with no real improvements for position players lurking in AAA.

Other than Wandy and Barmes, show me a problem spot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:27 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

...not to make excuses, but it seems to have really hit us like this during this slump...calls not going our way, something odd or crazy, turning into big innings.