Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 08/13/12 Pirates (64-50) vs Dodgers (62-53)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:43 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Hard not to feel like the season is slipping away.... :(

Sssssssssshhhhhhhhhh! You'll get Animal on your case for that kind of thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:48 pm 

Since the Chapman near-beaning, Cutch is 7-39, 1 HR, 5 RBI...

Make that 7-40. Still.......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:51 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:

Yeah well....maybe if I tell him it's based on what I see and not some sort of complicated SABR analysis with all sorts of algorithms and theorems, he'll go easy on me.... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:10 pm 

Nice job by Cheese....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:12 pm 

Their closer wears #74. F this chump.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:18 pm 

The goat tonight pretty much has to be Karstens, right?

Not what the good guys needed from him. Unfortunately.

Oh, well. There's always tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:25 pm 

The bucs haven't been playing terrible but they just can't seem to get hot consistently. The road ahead was going to be tough starting with opponents that were key when it came to the standings and so far they've whiffed. Cincinnati, dropped a game, whif. Arizona, split, gotta win you're home series, whif. San Diego, beat bad clubs at you're home park, whif. Open up strong against the Dodgers, a team on your heels, whif.

Whif, whew, whif.

Not so bad. Now they have to try and regain control of the series against Billingsley and Kershaw. Ut oh.

Cutch, wake up! Walks, runs and batted balls back to the pitcher are nice but we need more! Painful. It's just a game, afterall. Regardless this has been a special season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 pm 

GiJones, great game! Terrific effort. Choate, you lucky ass!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 pm 

Well, I guess we tried to make it close tonight. Jones certainly did his part, but we just don't have enough oomph at this point. All those well-if-we-go-X-for-X-we'll-still-finish-over-.500 threads are looking a little more ominous this week.

I fully admit to getting caught up in the bandwagon, but we were never the 3rd or 4th team in baseball and the mean is catching up to us. May have to re-frame what a successful season will be, again, only this time downward.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 pm 

val wrote:
Well, I guess we tried to make it close tonight. Jones certainly did his part, but we just don't have enough oomph at this point. All those well-if-we-go-X-for-X-we'll-still-finish-over-.500 threads are looking a little more ominous this week.

I fully admit to getting caught up in the bandwagon, but we were never the 3rd or 4th team in baseball and the mean is catching up to us. May have to re-frame what a successful season will be, again, only this time downward.

I don't know Val. This team has to have something inside saying don't let this happen again. I feel like it's happening all over again. Bad starting pitching, giving up 4 or 5 runs a start, the bullpen starting to give up runs, the offense coming through from time to time and McCutchen starting to dissapear a little when it comes to the big time clutch gap driving hits.

I'm still holding out hope that this year isn't a repeat of the last two months from a year ago.

Maybe Corriea can come through as a stopper tommorow as he has many times lately. He can't give up many though as Billingsley is very good against the Pirates. Dodgers gained a game but St. Louis didn't. They only gained a half a game.

Karstens wants that hit back he gave up to Harang and Choate wants his balls back. It was that type of game tonight. Victorino fall down the stairs at the hotel tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:48 am 

buccosfan77 wrote:
I don't know Val. This team has to have something inside saying don't let this happen again. I feel like it's happening all over again. Bad starting pitching, giving up 4 or 5 runs a start, the bullpen starting to give up runs, the offense coming through from time to time and McCutchen starting to dissapear a little when it comes to the big time clutch gap driving hits.

I'm still holding out hope that this year isn't a repeat of the last two months from a year ago.

Maybe Corriea can come through as a stopper tommorow as he has many times lately. He can't give up many though as Billingsley is very good against the Pirates. Dodgers gained a game but St. Louis didn't. They only gained a half a game.

Karstens wants that hit back he gave up to Harang and Choate wants his balls back. It was that type of game tonight. Victorino fall down the stairs at the hotel tonight.

I don't think we're at the stage of last year's melt down, but we're still missing something. We're weak at the corners. I mean Pedro really lit the ball up for a while, and it's nice having some streaky guys, but winning teams probably get more consistency out of their 3rd best hitter. I like Walker, but is he good enough to be the number #2 bat on a pennant-chasing team? The jury is still waiting on Marte and Snider. They're both young, I'm not going to judge them until this time next year. But I think we needed a better bat, a better number 2, so that Walker would be our third most potent bat in the lineup and Pedro would be fourth.

Before the trade deadline, our bullpen was having one of the all-time great seasons. Ever. We're certainly not at that point now, bullpen-wise, and maybe the starters are running a little scared. Maybe Lincoln was more important than we realize, and was more than "just" a middle reliever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:29 am 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:

Yeah well....maybe if I tell him it's based on what I see and not some sort of complicated SABR analysis with all sorts of algorithms and theorems, he'll go easy on me.... ;)

Well done, gentlemen. This is why I still read this board.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 am 

BBF wrote:
Well done, gentlemen. This is why I still read this board.

Well, that and you're listed as a mod...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:14 am 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:

From what I gather, it sounds to me like your FANDOM is a below average .~250 ish right now while your xFANDOM is a more respectable .333.

Maybe if you lowered your xPECTATION and increased your BEER, you can expect a return to the mean.

The good news is your YINZER is a career low .111 and your HUMOR is an off the charts 1.050!

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:15 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
From what I gather, it sounds to me like your FANDOM is a below average .~250 ish right now while your xFANDOM is a more respectable .333.

Maybe if you lowered your xPECTATION and increased your BEER, you can expect a return to the mean.

The good news is your YINZER is a career low .111 and your HUMOR is an off the charts 1.050!

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill James would be proud.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:17 am 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:

Hey Animal - if you read this, all in good fun, buddy.