Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: July 30, 2012 Pirates (58-43) at Cubs (42-58)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 pm 

I wonder if Johnson was included in a trade with Dempster?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I know I'm in the minority, but tonight is a perfect example of why I said I preferred Lincoln staying in the rotation...and I'd still be tempted to put him back in. Bedard and Correia are BP pitchers. Guys wait on there average fastballs and tee off.

You're wrong Pirate parrot. Way wrong. Just ask Willton, he will tell you.

Lincoln should be put in rotation, with Bedard and Correia put in mop up roles, if they cannot be traded for a bag of balls.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:58 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

Hope he's coming to the Pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:59 pm 

If you thought the Pirates were going to get through the rest of this season without some bad stretches you were kidding yourself. All teams, even the 1927 Yankees had stretches like this.

That being said, as bad as they played in Houston they managed 3 of 4. Lets see what they do the rest of this series. Good teams find ways to win each series even when they play bad.

I do agree though, Bedard and JMac are out of it right now, JMac needs to skip a start I think.......Bedard maybe a lost cause.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:00 pm 

That was just really bad luck..........

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
I don't like them putting Marte at leadoff. He is not a leadoff hitter and they are trying to force him to be because we the two we thought we may have are failures. Gonna jack up the kids development. If Presley is in the lineup there is no excuse for him to not lead off.

Well, no excuse except the fact that he can't get on base.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 pm 

This is going to be a game that will hopefully light a fire under the Bucs heading into Cinci in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:03 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
I don't like them putting Marte at leadoff. He is not a leadoff hitter and they are trying to force him to be because we the two we thought we may have are failures. Gonna jack up the kids development. If Presley is in the lineup there is no excuse for him to not lead off.

Well, no excuse except the fact that he can't get on base.

Batting him leadoff is not going to "jack up" his development. If anything it will probably help getting him more plate appearances

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:05 pm 

Wow. Haven't had one of these in awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:05 pm 

rellimie wrote:
This is going to be a game that will hopefully light a fire under the Bucs heading into Cinci in a couple of days.

Something better. Before this ugliness goes into a spiral like last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:07 pm 

Animal wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
I know I'm in the minority, but tonight is a perfect example of why I said I preferred Lincoln staying in the rotation...and I'd still be tempted to put him back in. Bedard and Correia are BP pitchers. Guys wait on there average fastballs and tee off.

Lincoln should be put in rotation, with Bedard and Correia put in mop up roles, if they cannot be traded for a bag of balls.

Typical reactionary yinzer. What is your basis for wanting Lincoln in the rotation? His spectacular 6.08 ERA as a starter in 2012? Or is it his career ERA of 5.65 as a starter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:09 pm 

I know it's blasphemy but ... the Cubs are playing some entertaining baseball right now. Even though the Pirates record is good after the break, it hasn't been the type of baseball that I enjoy watching very much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10 pm 

Wish of the night...that we had their shortstop...he isn't even close to maxing out his potential. Already an all star, but when he gains consistency...wow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:11 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

I bet he was. Searching the net!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 pm 

Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Typical reactionary yinzer. What is your basis for wanting Lincoln in the rotation? His spectacular 6.08 ERA as a starter in 2012? Or is it his career ERA of 5.65 as a starter?

Yinzer reaction?? Oh yea, this horrible start has been the first time I have stated that Bedard doesn't belong in rotation. Come on Willton, waiting for one of your famous stats.... you know, the ones who tell you how good someone is without even having to watch the games.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 pm 

Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

His stuff. His potential. He had started to get it together when they put him back in the pen. I know people find a niche, and maybe the bullpen is his. But maybe, he has just figured out how to pitch...regardless. I feel like you should put your best arms in the rotation if they have the pitches...Lincoln does. Occasionally you have to look past the numbers a little.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:18 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
His stuff. His potential. He had started to get it together when they put him back in the pen. I know people find a niche, and maybe the bullpen is his. But maybe, he has just figured out how to pitch...regardless. I feel like you should put your best arms in the rotation if they have the pitches...Lincoln does. Occasionally you have to look past the numbers a little.

I see that as an argument for trying Lincoln as a starter in the future, which I would happily support. But I fail to see the wisdom in experimenting with one of our best relievers while we are in the middle of a playoff race. Lincoln has been excellent in the pen, and his excellence is part of why the Pirates are in the position to contend for the division. We should not mess with that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:22 pm 

What's that stench? Our starting pitching? Nooooooo.

It's Casey McGehee. Boy has been awful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:23 pm 

Willton wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

I see that as an argument for trying Lincoln as a starter in the future, which I would happily support. But I fail to see the wisdom in experimenting with one of our best relievers while we are in the middle of a playoff race. Lincoln has been excellent in the pen, and his excellence is part of why the Pirates are in the position to contend for the division. We should not mess with that.

Who said anything about experimentation? Lincoln's last start was perhaps the best start of any pitcher this year. Or do you have something to prove otherwise from not watching the game?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:23 pm 

Animal wrote:
Yinzer reaction?? Oh yea, this horrible start has been the first time I have stated that Bedard doesn't belong in rotation. Come on Willton, waiting for one of your famous stats.... you know, the ones who tell you how good someone is without even having to watch the games.

As opposed to your bird-dog viewpoint on how a player "looks like a winner", along with some unfounded stories on how a player parties too much and has sex with teenagers? Yeah, okay, I'll trust your opinion. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next