Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for 07/28
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:35 pm 

Something different every night! Apparently now, Barajas is our secret "drawing a WP with a guy on third" weapon hitter! Another nice win and series win. Let's get out the brooms tomorrow!

STARTER: WRod did not have his best stuff...but he managed to get through six innings, yielding just 6 hits, a little wild, with 5 BBs, to go with 5 Ks, giving up 3 runs. All in all, calling this an OK start.

WIN: Resop pitches a real solid 7th. No hits. 1 K. to earn his frist win of the season, and lower is ERA to 3.10. He could help out a lot of team's bullpens. Many Pirate fans seem to unappreciate what he has done for us. He has been mostly pretty solid.

HOLD: Lincoln gives up just one harmless hit, to go with 1 K in the 8th to earn his 4th hold. Throws 16 pitches, 13 for strikes. Lowers his ERA to 2.73. I guess we will have to wait till next year to see Lincoln starring in the rotation.

SAVE: With Hanrahan not available, Grilli comes in and earns his second save with a perfect 9th including 2 Ks. Grilli could be a great closer!

Honorable Mention: With this being a tight game, another come from behind win for the Bucs, Resop, Lincoln, and Grilli all earn Honorable Mentions too. Their work in the pen was instrumental in this win! GJones gets an HM for going 2-4 with triple and run. Barmes gets one too for being the only other Buc with 2 hits.

STAR #3: Giving Walker the #3 Star. He had a solo HR, and went 1-3, but he also left 3 guys on base.

STAR #2: Presley seems to like hitting out of the #2 spot, showing some "sneaky" power, hitting his second HR in two nights. He also walked. Jose who?

STAR #1: Barajas had been hitless in 18 at bats. The Bucs had been hitless in 17 straight at bats with runners in scoring position (yet still finding ways to win). Barajas biggest claim to fame in last two nights was "drawing" a WP with guy on 3rd and waving him home. Again, he comes up with runner on 3rd. Reliever seems a little wild. Can he make it a three-peat?? NO. Instead, he breaks both of those streaks, gets a hit and drives in the go-ahead and subsequent winning run!

STANDINGS
Cutch 92.5
Burnett 69
Alvarez 65
McDonald 59.5
Walker 56.5
GJones 48.5
Correia 38.5
Presley 33.5
McHenry 32
Tabata 32
Barajas 30.5
Harrison 28
Lincoln 28
Barmes 28
Bedard 27
McGehee 27
Hanrahan 24.5
Hughes 22.75
Grilli 21.75
Karstens 20
Watson 16.25
Cruz 15.75
Hague 10
Resop 9.5
Sutton 7
Morton 4.5
Marte 4.0
Meek 3.5
Slaten 3.5
Navarro 3.0
Mercer 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Hernandez 1.5
WRod 1.0

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for 07/28
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:03 am 

Would probably flip Presley and Barajas but looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:20 am 

I still hate Presley and still think he is better off the bench....he's not a starter in the Majors.

That being said, I'm glad he has this little hot streak going.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:40 am 

rellimie wrote:
I still hate Presley and still think he is better off the bench....he's not a starter in the Majors.

That being said, I'm glad he has this little hot streak going.

Better option rellimie??

Really, what better option do we have at this point?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:02 pm 

Quote:
STARTER: WRod did not have his best stuff...but he managed to get through six innings, yielding just 6 hits, a little wild, with 5 BBs, to go with 5 Ks, giving up 3 runs. All in all, calling this an OK start.

Methinks you are too generous. It was a shaky start. An ineffective start. But an OK start -- against that lineup? No.

I know, it was just one game, and against his friends and ex-teammates. But the Pirates need him to be better than that the rest of the way. I daresay they could have recalled Jeff Locke and he would have pitched as well as Rodriguez did last night.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:06 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Quote:

Methinks you are too generous. It was a shaky start. An ineffective start. But an OK start -- against that lineup? No.

I know, it was just one game, and against his friends and ex-teammates. But the Pirates need him to be better than that the rest of the way. I daresay they could have recalled Jeff Locke and he would have pitched as well as Rodriguez did last night.

Isn't three runs or less in six innings considered an "official" quality start?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:18 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Animal wrote:
Isn't three runs or less in six innings considered an "official" quality start?

"No"...

Signed

Kevin Corriea

ZM