Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for 06/27
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 am 

WOW! Great game....thought the Bucs had it clearly in hand...got a little worried...but then got some insurance. Good win. I like our chances of a split tomorrow with Burnett. Let's get to it!

STARTER: JMac did not have his best stuff tonight, but he hung in there for 5.2 innings, helped out by some Pirate offense. A lot of times this year, the offense let him down and he lost games he should have won. Well, they picked him up tonight. Calling it an OK START.

WIN: JMac did just enough to earn the win...improving to 7-3, with 2.44 ERA.

HOLD: Lincoln gets credit with an official hold.

STAR #3: Lots of candidates tonight, but giving the #3 star to Cutch. he went 3-4, and delivered a monster 2 run HR to put the Bucs back up by four after they nearly gave it away. CLUTCH CUTCH!

STAR #2. In addition to the hold, I am giving Lincoln the #2 star...debated going to #1, but not quite. He came in after three runs had been surrendered to make it a one run game. He came into an 8-7 game, with runners on first and second, no outs. The Phils were in comeback mode, having just scored three runs. He then struck out Pence. Victorino flied out. Then Thome came on as PH and struck out. HUGE inning for him. He was a difference maker tonight.

STAR #1: For the second night in a row, the FORT!!!! He is having an unbelievable series. This is what good teams do...when a player goes down, the backup steps up and makes up for it. Who wouldda thunk it? The FORT follows up 3 hits and a HR last night, with a 2-4, plus an intentional walk...and hit a 3 run HR to give the Bucs the lead they would never relinquish. Had 4 RBI in all!

Honorable Mention: Lots of HMs tonight. Walker went 3-4 with a double, an RBI and three runs. Tough night to get nothing but an HM, but that's the way it was! Also giving JMac an HM. As I mentioned earlier, he hung in there ok, but he also added an RBI single after Philly walked the fort to load the bases. Sutton gets his first start for the Bucs, playing LF. He goes 2-4 with 2 runs and an RBI. Tabata contributed a 2-4 with a run and an RBI. Presley PH and staying in the game. He drew 2 walks and scored a run. Giving Grilli an HM for coming in and keeping the Phils off the board in the 8th after they had just had a big 7th and the Bucs took a couple back. Everyone in the starting lineup got a hit except Pedro...but he did make several top notch defensive plays to go along with his bad offensive night and error...so it evens out for his contribution. McGehee had a brutal night overall too, stranding 4 runners, but he managed to even things out with a HR to give us a bit of a cushion early..No HMs for them but did want to mention their contributions.

STANDINGS
Cutch 65
McDonald 49.5
Burnett 50.5
Alvarez 48
Walker 38.5
Tabata 31.5
Presley 27
Barajas 26
Harrison 25
GJones 24.5
Correia 22
Bedard 21.5
Lincoln 21.25
McHenry 19
Barmes 17.5
McGehee 17.5
Hanrahan 17
Watson 14.5
Grilli 13.5
Hughes 12.75
Cruz 11.75
Hague 10
Morton 4.5
Meek 3.25
Slaten 3
Navarro 3.0
Resop 2.75
McLouth 2.5
Sutton 1.5
Hernandez 1.0
Mercer 0.5
Karstens 0

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for 06/27
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:25 am 

Lincoln should be No. 1. If he doesn't shut it down, maybe Cutch's heroics never come to pass.

Lincoln saved the game for the Bucs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:28 am 

I think you're undervaluing McDonald a bit. He settled down very nicely after the bad first. Before the bullpen meltdown it's hard to recall that the Pirates actually had a 8-2 lead when McDonald was pulled. He could have went deeper, but that wasn't his decision. So reducing it to just an "okay start" and "doing just enough" isn't all that accurate from my view. Don't really disagree with the stars, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:32 am 

TheShark wrote:
I think you're undervaluing McDonald a bit. He settled down very nicely after the bad first. Before the bullpen meltdown it's hard to recall that the Pirates actually had a 8-2 lead when McDonald was pulled. He could have went deeper, but that wasn't his decision. So reducing it to just an "okay start" and "doing just enough" isn't all that accurate from my view. Don't really disagree with the stars, though.

My thoughts on this.... Sometimes, it is easier to pitch in a tight game, than with a huge lead. I am not minizing what he did, but I think the bottom line was that he only went 5.2 innings and DID give up 4 runs. To me, that is just ok, not good or great. I also gave him an HM for the entire effort.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:24 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Lincoln should be No. 1. If he doesn't shut it down, maybe Cutch's heroics never come to pass.

Lincoln saved the game for the Bucs.

I agree. Fort had a fantastic game but it wouldn't have mattered if Brad didn't come in and change the momentum back to the Bucs favor.

Lincoln didn't just hold them, he grabbed them by the tail and threw them the backwards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 am 

Love it!

By the way, the ump sucked last night. Especially when Watson was out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am 

how about when mcghee had a talk with the home plate umpire about the count and how he messed it up and when the talk was over they show the umpire looking over at the phillie bench and smiling....greg brown talked about it and said oh yea that is real funny isn't it..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:42 am 

I have to go with Lincoln. Game was getting out of hand, he came in and closed the door.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:53 am 

We needed the contributions of both to win this game. Lincoln was huge. At a time when it looked like the Bucs were gonna give it back, he slammed the door...but we were still in the lead.

I think what the FORT did was better. First off, after losing the first two games of the series, the Bucs got behind again, 2-0. The FORT changed the whole game with his 3 run HR. He also contributed behind the plate and in other at bats.

FORT #1.
LINCOLN #2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:11 am 

McKenry hit a home run off a scrub pitcher. Not downplaying it as every run was important and we were down 2-0 like you mentioned.

But Lincoln's result was much more impressive. Your team is clinging to a one-run lead after blowing a six-run lead with first and second and nobody out and you keep it a one-run lead. Much harder accomplishment. That's why Lincoln deserves it.