Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for 06/23
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:39 am 

Another nice interleague win, and series win. Let's get the sweep on Sunday...and hope for a Cinncy loss!

STARTER: Brad Lincoln had perhaps the best start of his career. Ends up going six..just 2 hits, 1 run, 1 BB and 7 K's. All things considered, I am calling this a great start!

WIN: Lincoln gets the win to move to 4-2 3.50 ERA..again alll things considered not bad.

HOLDS: Cruz, Watson, and Grilli each earn a hold.

SAVE: Hanrahan picks up # 19 with a solid 9th inning!

STAR #3: Walker gets a clutch hit in the 7th to drive in a run, answering a Tigers run.

STAR #2: Lincoln was very much responsible for this win.

STAR #1: Cutch is clutch! HIs three run homer was his only hit, but all the Bucs would need!

Honorable Mention: Presley continued to do well out of leadoff spot. Two hits, including a double and a run. Tabata was 1-2 plus a stolen base, and was aboard for Cutch's shot! McGehee comes through with a PH double and scores an insurance run.

STANDINGS
Cutch 63
Burnett 50.5
McDonald 49.5
Alvarez 45
Walker 37
Tabata 32
Barajas 26
Presley 26
Harrison 25
Bedard 23.5
GJones 21.5
Correia 18
Lincoln 18
Barmes 17.5
McGehee 17.5
Hanrahan 17
Watson 14.5
Grilli 13
Hughes 12.75
Cruz 11.75
McHenry 10
Hague 10
Resop 4.65
Morton 4.5
Karstens 4.0
Meek 3.25
Slaten 3
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Hernandez 1.0
Mercer 0.5

OK, by a 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 margin, Lincoln #1 and Cutch #2

UPDATED STANDINGS
Cutch 62
Burnett 50.5
McDonald 49.5
Alvarez 45
Walker 37
Tabata 32
Barajas 26
Presley 26
Harrison 25
Bedard 23.5
GJones 21.5
Lincoln 19
Correia 18
Barmes 17.5
McGehee 17.5
Hanrahan 17
Watson 14.5
Grilli 13
Hughes 12.75
Cruz 11.75
McHenry 10
Hague 10
Resop 4.65
Morton 4.5
Karstens 4.0
Meek 3.25
Slaten 3
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Hernandez 1.0
Mercer 0.5

Last edited by Animal on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for 06/23
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:11 am 

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I think Cutch and Lincoln need to switch. As crazy as this sounds, I almost expect Cutch to do what he does at this point. The reason I would give Brad the #1 star is he is coming off 3 bad starts, after winning game 1 against Detroit and Verlander going tomorrow for the Tigers this was a pivotal game to win the series. They needed Brad to pull it together and pitch like everyone knows he can pitch and he needed to do it today. We lose this game then in order to win the series you have to beat Verlander which seems near impossible with the way he pitches.

I think Brad had a ton of pressure on him to pitch well in this game and he went above and beyond everyones expectations allowing the Pirates to face Verlander with the series in their pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:42 am 

rellimie wrote:
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I think Cutch and Lincoln need to switch. As crazy as this sounds, I almost expect Cutch to do what he does at this point. The reason I would give Brad the #1 star is he is coming off 3 bad starts, after winning game 1 against Detroit and Verlander going tomorrow for the Tigers this was a pivotal game to win the series. They needed Brad to pull it together and pitch like everyone knows he can pitch and he needed to do it today. We lose this game then in order to win the series you have to beat Verlander which seems near impossible with the way he pitches.

I think Brad had a ton of pressure on him to pitch well in this game and he went above and beyond everyones expectations allowing the Pirates to face Verlander with the series in their pocket.

I see what you're saying, but....a couple factors made me pick it that way. First, no other games are factored into each day's stars. Second, he pitched a great game and gave it his all, but without Cutch's clutch HR, we probably lose this game. Now I know you can say the same thing about his pitching, but I just feel Cutch did a little more to give us the win.

Opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:55 am 
 WWW  Profile

Lincoln #1
Cutch #2

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:12 am 

I don't want to go all "soccer mom, everybody's a winner" on you, Animal, but perhaps Lincoln and Cutch share No. 1?

Those two brought about the outcome equally, IMO. Without either performance, very possibly a loss.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:12 am 

Animal wrote:
rellimie wrote:

I see what you're saying, but....a couple factors made me pick it that way. First, no other games are factored into each day's stars. Second, he pitched a great game and gave it his all, but without Cutch's clutch HR, we probably lose this game. Now I know you can say the same thing about his pitching, but I just feel Cutch did a little more to give us the win.

Opinions?

I completely understand that other games don't factor. I guess my point was more to illustrate the pressure that Lincoln was under going into the game:

1. Coming off 3 bad starts
2. Trying to keep a spot in the rotation
3. Verlander pitching tomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:45 am 

Yeah but I think Animal is trying to say he goes by who had the biggest impact on the win of the individual game. And Cutch is more responsible for the win.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:51 am 

fuzzy159 wrote:
Yeah but I think Animal is trying to say he goes by who had the biggest impact on the win of the individual game. And Cutch is more responsible for the win.

RIGHT! Lincoln's effort and results were huge....and I think it's going to catapult us to a sweep today. With the way he has pitched of late, and the prospect of Verlander today, his back was really against the wall. But all things considered, like Fuzzy says, I look at who had the biggest impact of THIS game. Tough choosing between Cutch and Lincoln here. If Cutch doesn't hit the clutch HR, we probably lose 1-0 or go into extra innings. But then again, if Lincoln doesn't pitch well, we may have lost 5-4.

This is a tough choice. I am not opposed to changing it, although I don't wanna "soccer mom" and wuss out calling it a tie! Give me your opinions Bucco fans!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:49 pm 

it depends on how you look at it. One could argue that Cutchs hr gave the pitching for the rest of the game a slight comfortable cushion taking the pressure off of them.

If Lincoln would have went one more inning he probably would have my vote for #1. Cutch is just having a monster season and its kind of hard to outperfom him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:05 pm 

fuzzy159 wrote:
it depends on how you look at it. One could argue that Cutchs hr gave the pitching for the rest of the game a slight comfortable cushion taking the pressure off of them.

If Lincoln would have went one more inning he probably would have my vote for #1. Cutch is just having a monster season and its kind of hard to outperfom him.

One more inning would have been perfect...but with him still not stretched out, you really have to be happy, really really happy, with what he gave us. I am not trying to downplay either one....either COULD BE the #1 in this game.

Keep on voting...so far, it's Lincoln 2 1/2, Cutch 1 1/2. Again, like the other day, it's so much nicer debating this over the goat!