Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Goat and Stars for 05/20
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:57 pm 

A win would have been nice, but we are hanging in there. *sigh*

STARTER: Correia looked pretty good. Just the HR through the first six and had the lead...then a bloop hit, that could have been caught made even worse by Barmes kicking it, a passed ball, then a hit that may have been a DP..then Watson comes in and makes it worse. Giving Correia a good start.

Loser: Correia

GOAT: Lots of candidates....Cutch, Alvarez, and McLouth went 0-12 with 9 K's. Watson came in with game on the line and prompty put gas on the fire. Giving the goat to Pedro, with an 0-4, three K's and 3 stranded runners.

Star #3: Harrison keeps it going in the 9th with a double, and scores a run to make it a one run game.

Star #2: Walker goes 1-4 with a solo HR.

Star #1: Barajas goes 1-3 with a solo HR and Sac Fly, driving in 2 of 3 Bucco runs.

Honorable Mention: Lincoln does the job again...coming in and putting out Watson's fire. Hughes follows that up with a perfect bottom of the 8th to give the Bucs a chance. Giving Barmes an HM too for getting a couple hits.

STANDINGS
Cutch 32
McDonald 26.5
Alvarez 25.5
Tabata 21.5
Walker 20.5
Burnett 20.5
Lincoln 20
Presley 17.5
Bedard 16.5
Harrison 14.5
Correia 12.5
Barajas 11.5
Cruz 11
GJones 10
Barmes 8.0
Watson 8.0
Hanrahan 7.5
Morton 7
Grilli 7
Hughes 5.75
McGeehee 5.5
McHenry 4.0
Karstens 4.0
Meek 3.25
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Resop 1.25
Hague 1.0

Post subject: Re: Animal's Goat and Stars for 05/20
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:15 pm 

My goat goes in a complete opposite direction. I have Barmes. We lost this game IMO in the 7th when he did not let McLouth call him off on Fielders hit to left and the proceded to kick the ball into foul territory.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:25 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
My goat goes in a complete opposite direction. I have Barmes. We lost this game IMO in the 7th when he did not let McLouth call him off on Fielders hit to left and the proceded to kick the ball into foul territory.

I certainly considered that, but even with that, Fielder's run was only the tying run. If they bear down and get the rest of the guys, even with Fielder coming around, we still have a tie game.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:00 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:

Agree with this. Even if McLouth can't catch the ball, they hold him to a single and the whole inning could have gone a different way.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:45 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

Agree with this. Even if McLouth can't catch the ball, they hold him to a single and the whole inning could have gone a different way.

...or how bout if the pitchers get tough and don't give up two more runs after THAT ONE??

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:04 am 

bucco boy wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

Also agree. And even if he doesn't deserve the goat, for the love of sweet baby Jesus it should at least negate his honorable mention.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:32 am 

He is trying to get to the ball and make a great catch....kicking it was a freak thing. Do we know that McLouth was callling him off?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:16 pm 

Animal wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

...or how bout if the pitchers get tough and don't give up two more runs after THAT ONE??

Tough to criticize Watson when he had the guy struck out and the umpire missed the call..again. Maybe the umpire should be the goat.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Tough to criticize Watson when he had the guy struck out and the umpire missed the call..again. Maybe the umpire should be the goat.

No, umpires are infallible. Just ask them.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:39 pm 

Those are more good points...so based on that too, you cannot blame Barmes. Even if Barmes messed the play up and put Fielder at second. They could have still held the Tigers without any runs, or one at the most if the pitchers had come through better. THEN, if the umpire makes the right call, that is another point.

I am not calling Barmes blameless, just don't feel he deserves "the goat" for that one play. Not trying to be argumentative, just giving you all my thoughts in naming the goat!