Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 8/28
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:46 am
Posts: 429
Location: Rural Ridge, PA
McCutchen is the best thing that ever happened to my fantasy team. :D


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 8/28
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5630
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Why didn't Moss PH in 8th?

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 8/28
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6155
Location: Keystone State
I thought I saw Hoffman got claimed by the Giants?

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 8/28
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10602
I am not really impressed with the Brewers, apart from Fielder and Braun. The rest of the team consists of retreads, fill-in players, and bench guys who are starting.

Their bullpen is terrible. Coffey and Weathers are mediocre dumpster retreads who are not going to repeat their short-term success. Guys who have been pounded and seem to "find something" for a season usually revert to form. Moreoever, those guys are so seriously fat that their horrible conditioning is going to be a problem.

Trevor Hoffman is a last gasp. Yeah, great, he has a good change and great control, but if teams learn to treat him like Brad Lidge (never swing at the offspeed, crush the fastball) then he is going to have problems.

The Brewers may have "shot their wad" last year when they traded for Sabathia but came up short. I understand very much why this team is below .500 and has stunk for months.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 8/28
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:42 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 843
Bucfan wrote:
I am not really impressed with the Brewers, apart from Fielder and Braun. The rest of the team consists of retreads, fill-in players, and bench guys who are starting.


I initially read the word "retreads" as "retards." I agree, either way.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 8/28
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4160
Location: Zelienople, PA
Bucfan wrote:
I

Trevor Hoffman is a last gasp. Yeah, great, he has a good change and great control, but if teams learn to treat him like Brad Lidge (never swing at the offspeed, crush the fastball) then he is going to have problems..


How many years has it been? No one is going to start now.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 8/28
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:15 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
bucco boy wrote:
I thought I saw Hoffman got claimed by the Giants?


It was revocable waivers. I believe the Giants and Brewers were unable to work out a deal and he was (or will be, if the deadline hasn't passed) be pulled back.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 8/28
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:17 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
ZelieMike wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
I

Trevor Hoffman is a last gasp. Yeah, great, he has a good change and great control, but if teams learn to treat him like Brad Lidge (never swing at the offspeed, crush the fastball) then he is going to have problems..


How many years has it been? No one is going to start now.

ZM


I think the problem is that while Hoffman's FB is no good, his delivery is still solid enough that hitters can't identify the changeup in time to lay off of it. What I can't figure out is why you wouldn't sit on the change and adjust to the heat, which isn't that much faster anymore.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 8/28
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10602
BBF wrote:
I think the problem is that while Hoffman's FB is no good, his delivery is still solid enough that hitters can't identify the changeup in time to lay off of it. What I can't figure out is why you wouldn't sit on the change and adjust to the heat, which isn't that much faster anymore.

But hitting the change-up is what Hoffman wants hitters to do. The pitch has great movement. Swinging at it results in weak contact or swing-and-miss.

Hoffman gets hit when batters swing at his fastball. His fastball is really nothing right now.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits