Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 8/18/09 Brewers @ Pirates *Andy hitting cleanup*
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:08 pm 

The pitching was impressive tonight. Both those guys seem poised for great careers-- Hopefully as Pirates. Yes that was good.

Animal-- I know it's only one homer but goodness. After the game he said he felt good being a friend of McCutchen who he said has been helping him understand the game and his words 'believe it or not, he's teaching me things...'
And had gold laces in his white and black shoes. OK there isn't he? Maybe he should be arrested and jailed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:48 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
And had gold laces in his white and black shoes. OK there isn't he? Maybe he should be arrested and jailed.

The Shoe Police

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:15 am 

I said it last night and I'll say it again tonight---THIS is what I expected from this bunch.

This group of guys should feel little to no pressure (IMO) seeing as how this will essentially be the makeup of the team. There is nobody 'breathing down their necks' for starting time at the moment and no need to over-impress for the sake of 'making the club'.

Who's here is here and will be here the rest of this season, more than likely. If and when they realize this they may continue to loosen up and I think they can keep this little stride going and play some competitive baseball down the stretch.

I like what I've seen the last two games. Much optimism.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 am 

Lastings Milledge thanks God by pointing to the sky after hitting his first home run last night. I, for one, am very concerned about the negative influence that Lastings Milledge could have on the young, impressionable God.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:11 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:18 am 
 WWW  Profile

burghermeister wrote:

Lastings Milledge thanks God by pointing to the sky after hitting his first home run last night. I, for one, am very concerned about the negative influence that Lastings Milledge could have on the young, impressionable God.

Excellent....

Go Bucs!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:03 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
Captain Brown wrote:
I only have Gameday but it looks like Ohlendorf found his fastball again. Can anyone watching verify?

He has hit 96 a few times tonight and 94 pretty regularly. He was throwing them mostly where he wanted all night. He seems to be dealing the four seamer more often lately (if not, it just seems that way).

Bob Walk was talking about how they were tinkering with his wind up, he doesnt seem to have that big pause in the middle of the windup like he did at the start of the season...That might be a reason for the velocity, as the motion is more fluid, but I dont know for sure...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:22 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
urbanexplorer wrote:
Captain Brown wrote:
I only have Gameday but it looks like Ohlendorf found his fastball again. Can anyone watching verify?

He has hit 96 a few times tonight and 94 pretty regularly. He was throwing them mostly where he wanted all night. He seems to be dealing the four seamer more often lately (if not, it just seems that way).

Bob Walk was talking about how they were tinkering with his wind up, he doesnt seem to have that big pause in the middle of the windup like he did at the start of the season...That might be a reason for the velocity, as the motion is more fluid, but I dont know for sure...

I believe that you are both correct. As urban mentioned, Ohlendorf is featuring the 4-seam rather than the 2-seam. That adds 2-3 mph to his fastball. Walk mentioned that, as well as the fact that Ohlendorf had changed his delivery over the All-Star break.

And last night, his change was good. When he missed with it, he missed down. He K'd two guys swinging on the change. He threw it for a swing-and-miss 5 or 6 times that I saw. That is due in large part to the fact that he is dealing at 95 mph.

I really like what I am seeing from Ohlendorf and Hart. These guys have good velocity, good offspeed (Hart has that filthy slider), command the strike zone. Very impressive. Duke - solid, no question. Morton - he has the goods, he just needs to put it together. Maholm - he is fighting injuries but I like him quite a bit as a starter for the Buccos.

A very solid starting rotation. One of those teams in the pennant chase is going to hate to look at the schedule and see that they are set to face Duke, Hart and Ohlendorf.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:20 pm 

Dear Mr. Nutting:

I left Pittsburgh Monday morning for coastal California. As you might have noticed, that coincides with your team's current winning streak. I am willing to remain here as it is obviously in the best interests of the club, for the right amount of money. Otherwise, I will be returning to Pittsburgh tonight. Please contact my agent, Mr. Boras, to settle the financial details.

Cheers,
BBF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:39 pm 

Dear Mr. BBF,
Thank you for your recent correspondence. We will be making an offer at 11:58:43, which will expire at midnight. Our staff is currently weighing your request vs. Mr. Sano's.

Regards,
BBNF (Big Bob Nutting Fan)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:41 pm 

Dear Mr. BBF,

I am writing to inform you that you have been traded to the Kansas City Royals for a package of younger fans from that area who give us much greater cost certainty and many more years of control.

We appreciate your contributions to this organization, and wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Neil Huntington

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:06 pm 

Good one, but give BBF the benefit of the doubt, he is after all, a Pirate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:10 pm 

Dear Mr. BBF,

While we understand your interest in our team winning, we feel your talents in California could be best suited if you could swing by the local 'vitamin' store and pick up a prescription that Andy LaRoche had forgotten to get filled before he left Los Angeles for Pittsburgh last July. Knock on the back door, and ask for either Jason, Barry, Mark, or Jose.

Thanks.

Your friend,

Bob

PS. I got some leftover Nate McLouth bobbleheads for you and the Mrs.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:20 am 

You guys crack me up. Good job. Our plane was delayed just enough so that we didn't touch down until after 10, allowing for one more win. Expect a new losing streak to commence immediately.