Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:58 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5559
TheShark wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
RE: Melancon non-8th inning use

The ONLY logical explanation is that Grilli is unavailable tonight after pitching frequently lately and therefore Mark will fill-in as closer.


If so it's a bad strategy because Grilli actually hasn't been pitching frequently lately, like Melancon he hasn't pitched since three games ago (the blown save). Kind of odd if they start saying pitchers who didn't even pitch in the 13th-inning game are unavailable when they just pitched an inning each as usual the game before and weren't used the game after. Not that it really matters that much which of them pitches the ninth, but if either of them is considered unavailable that's ridiculous.


That wacky theory was based on the radio crew often talking about how if/when Grilli throws 'a lot' one night (20+ pitches) he might not be available the next day.

Not sure if Hurdle has said that [to them] or what, but they've brought it up a lot recently.

Grilli has thrown four times in a week: the 14th, 16th, 18th and 19th (21, 20, 18 and 10 pitches, respectively).

It was just a guess, which appears to have been wrong as Grilli will come out for the B9.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Last edited by NSMaster56 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Findlay, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio
The Pirates have 7 extra base hits tonight. That's what I like to see!!!

_________________
Roberto Clemente and I have a combined 3,000 career hits.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Vin Mazzaro, like a ton of other examples that preceded him, is proof that it isn't just hyperbole to say that Huntington is always reliable to find bullpen pieces that seemingly no one else has any interest in and turn them into a success.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Raise it!!

_________________
Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. - William Shakespeare


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:06 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5559
Image

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1538
NSMaster56 wrote:
That'll do, Cutch. That'll do.



Aawesome, a "Babe" reference. Classic! :D


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:58 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2220
Great win tonight. Cole could be a great one. Reds lose, so do Cardinals. Funny how the only highlight ESPN will show is mike trouts catch???


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:40 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2076
ESPN is one channel in my household that gets zero airtime. I like to think I'm contributing to their low ratings. Ha.

Anyways I feel asleep last night, just up and passed out. I'm happy to see this team keep playing hard. And raise it on a beautiful morning.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4163
Location: Zelienople, PA
TheShark wrote:
Based on the fact that he gave up two runs in an inning tonight? Yeah he looked flustered and struggled with control (the first time that has happened to him in the majors) after the Pujols HR but it happens. There isn't nearly enough of a sample size to make such a statement like it's a problem for Cole...


Ummm, yes you can. I brought this up earlier when talking about why Cole might NOT get the call. This is one of the reasons he was sent back this spring, and was specifically cited by Tony S during pitching events at AAA. Channels the ghost of Mrs. Muire and loses his composure.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:11 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1404
Location: Eastern Shore
ZelieMike wrote:
TheShark wrote:
Based on the fact that he gave up two runs in an inning tonight? Yeah he looked flustered and struggled with control (the first time that has happened to him in the majors) after the Pujols HR but it happens. There isn't nearly enough of a sample size to make such a statement like it's a problem for Cole...


Ummm, yes you can. I brought this up earlier when talking about why Cole might NOT get the call. This is one of the reasons he was sent back this spring, and was specifically cited by Tony S during pitching events at AAA. Channels the ghost of Mrs. Muire and loses his composure.

ZM

Yeah, but he's a kid. This is something he's going to have to learn. I have no idea whether it's more effective for him to be in the big leagues or back in AAA ball, but you have to figure he'll have more mature guidance at this level to offset the accompanying increase in the stakes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:27 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7254
I wonder if some of it were emotions of pitching in front of his hometown team?

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
ZelieMike wrote:
Ummm, yes you can. I brought this up earlier when talking about why Cole might NOT get the call. This is one of the reasons he was sent back this spring, and was specifically cited by Tony S during pitching events at AAA. Channels the ghost of Mrs. Muire and loses his composure.


Yeah, we get it, you really like to harp on Cole because of his attitude issues. You bring it up all the time. But you're wrong that there is enough sample size to say that it has affected him in the majors, which was obviously the point I was making. He had a history of attitude issues in college and so fourth but the fact that he is currently up tells me that the Pirates feel he's mature enough and until I see otherwise I'm not going to start judging the kid because he's been fiery in the past. The part I wrote that you didn't quote confirmed that in his first three starts, last night was the only game in which he gave up consecutive runs in an inning where you could make that kind of correlation (and even so, there's no proof) so it's simply false to say that his attitude and emotions have gotten in the way and hurting his performance.

You think it was "one of the reason he was sent back this spring?" Uh, Cole was never going to make the majors out of spring this year and skip AAA when he clearly had mechanical issues to work on. If you want to say it was because of his attitude, that is a smaller caveat to the fact that he simply wasn't ready to pitch in the majors at that point, and the control issues he experienced at AAA this year confirmed that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2220
Cole did run in some trouble in the 7th. Probably just tiring.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:39 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2220
buccosfan77 wrote:
ESPN is one channel in my household that gets zero airtime. I like to think I'm contributing to their low ratings. Ha.

Anyways I feel asleep last night, just up and passed out. I'm happy to see this team keep playing hard. And raise it on a beautiful morning.


Ya those west coast games. I started dozing off too. If I had to work, I wouldn't have seen it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates (43-30) vs angels (33-40) June 21, 2013
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4163
Location: Zelienople, PA
TheShark wrote:
Yeah, we get it, you really like to harp on Cole because of his attitude issues. You bring it up all the time. But you're wrong that there is enough sample size to say that it has affected him in the majors, which was obviously the point I was making. He had a history of attitude issues in college and so fourth but the fact that he is currently up tells me that the Pirates feel he's mature enough and until I see otherwise I'm not going to start judging the kid because he's been fiery in the past. The part I wrote that you didn't quote confirmed that in his first three starts, last night was the only game in which he gave up consecutive runs in an inning where you could make that kind of correlation (and even so, there's no proof) so it's simply false to say that his attitude and emotions have gotten in the way and hurting his performance.


Obviously not, since it took only a couple games to do so.

Quote:
You think it was "one of the reason he was sent back this spring?" Uh, Cole was never going to make the majors out of spring this year and skip AAA when he clearly had mechanical issues to work on. If you want to say it was because of his attitude, that is a smaller caveat to the fact that he simply wasn't ready to pitch in the majors at that point, and the control issues he experienced at AAA this year confirmed that.
[/quote]

Yes, and thus I said ONE of the reasons. Also confirmed by NH and the FO who said that he had to learn to deal with adversity. Not unique to him, but this FO does this.

And, I don't harp on it. I just point it out when folks ignore it or make silly statements like we can't project a maturity/extreme competitiveness issue that he has a history of doing into the majors.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits