Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OT: Obamacare Ruled Constitutional
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 am 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/2 ... 85131.html

Chief Justice Roberts votes with the majority in a 5-4 decision upholding the individual mandate as a constitutional "tax."

Post subject: Re: OT: Obamacare Ruled Constitutional
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 am 

Thank God that other items in the law were struck down -- the forced expansion of Medicaid being one of them.

As far as the individual mandate being upheld, where does government power stop? They could make us buy anything and if we didn't, just tax us.

Wow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 am 

Otherwise, ........

GO BUCS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 am 

This belongs in the Water Cooler.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:17 pm 

Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

this strikes me as the proverbial "be careful what you wish for". By allowing this under the taxing authority of the Congress, as opposed to the Commerce Clause, the Obama admin will now have to stammer around justifying all the new "taxes" that he promised he wasn't bringing to the mandate. In an election year. In a recession.

Yeah, that will work.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
this strikes me as the proverbial "be careful what you wish for". By allowing this under the taxing authority of the Congress, as opposed to the Commerce Clause, the Obama admin will now have to stammer around justifying all the new "taxes" that he promised he wasn't bringing to the mandate. In an election year. In a recession.

Yeah, that will work.

ZM

Let me ask you something. Will you be taxed under this law?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:30 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

Yeah, that will work.

ZM

It also takes away the Supreme Court as a campaign issue for Obama. Pretty hard to run convincingly against those dastardly activist justices now that he has been handed big victories in the Arizona and healthcare cases.

Back to class warfare, I guess. Or he could try defending his economic record. Good luck with that.

Not that there aren't still a few tricks he can play to buy votes, like forgiving student loan debt and home mortgages that are federally insured. And getting us into a shooting war with Iran.

Meanwhile, if today's decision doesn't motivate voters to pull the lever for Republican candidates 131 days from now, I don't know what will. I'm sensing the potential for a Republican landslide.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

Yeah, that will work.

ZM

It also takes away the Supreme Court as a campaign issue for Obama. Pretty hard to run convincingly against those dastardly activist justices now that he has been handed big victories in the Arizona and healthcare cases.

Back to class warfare, I guess. Or he could try defending his economic record. Good luck with that.

Not that there aren't still a few tricks he can play to buy votes, like forgiving student loan debt and home mortgages that are federally insured. And getting us into a shooting war with Iran.

Meanwhile, if today's decision doesn't motivate voters to pull the lever for Republican candidates 131 days from now, I don't know what will. I'm sensing the potential for a Republican landslide.

Wasn't it a conservative chief justice appointed by GW that cast the deciding vote? I agree Bob. Landslide, but for Democrats.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 pm 

NewMexicoLobo wrote:
As far as the individual mandate being upheld, where does government power stop? They could make us buy anything and if we didn't, just tax us.

Wow.

Right?

So glad I'll have to pay any amount of money toward health insurance I don't need now.

Lets just ignore the fact that I'm a single male in impeccable shape with a good diet/exercise routine who doesn't live like a 'daredevil'... nope, I must pay Uncle Sam money I could have otherwise used for any number of better purposes.

Thanks CiC!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:

Wasn't it a conservative chief justice appointed by GW that cast the deciding vote? I agree Bob. Landslide, but for Democrats.

I'm not [partisan] political, but THIS.

What just happened benefitted the type of people who are [now] more likely to vote for Obama.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 pm 

As it is now if one of us needs to go to the doctor we don't go. We can't afford the deductible. Until my wife found a better job we were
a family of three living on her $10.19 an hour job and we didn't qualify for food stamps!!!!!!!!!!! >_<

In Cleveland many of the folks on food stamps sell dope on the side. When I worked at UPS a Dominican girl had so many food stamp cards
she was trying to sell them (and her monthly rent was $9.) The folks who play by the rules are screwed everytime.

Having said that I do think healthcare should be free for all Americans. That would be compassionate. I know.. hippie talk.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:59 am 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Not that there aren't still a few tricks he can play to buy votes, like forgiving student loan debt...

I can only hope he does that! Too bad people under 25 don't show up to the polls enough for him to make such an action. That's why Federal student loan interest rates are set to double (barring a delay from Congress which surely will happen) while other interest rates are at all time lows!

bucco boy wrote:

The general voting public doesn't care whether or not the deciding vote came from a conservative. Heck, they probably won't even care about this bill in November. They care about their purchasing power and their investments. If those don't do well, the sitting President doesn't do well- period.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:27 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:
Not that there aren't still a few tricks he can play to buy votes, like forgiving student loan debt...

I can only hope he does that! Too bad people under 25 don't show up to the polls enough for him to make such an action. That's why Federal student loan interest rates are set to double (barring a delay from Congress which surely will happen) while other interest rates are at all time lows!

I've got a better idea: make student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy. That way private institutions will be more wary of increasing interest rates on their debtors for fear of losing any opportunity to get their principal back. Of course, it will also give banks pause in handing money out to potential students for higher education in the first place, which may reduce the number of people who can afford to go to college in the short term, but will force many universities to compete with each other in lowering the cost of attending college.

JollyRoger wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

The general voting public doesn't care whether or not the deciding vote came from a conservative. Heck, they probably won't even care about this bill in November. They care about their purchasing power and their investments. If those don't do well, the sitting President doesn't do well- period.

I must say that I find it interesting that the people who are the most vocally against the ACA are the same people who would benefit the most from it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:30 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

Yeah, that will work.

ZM

Pardon me, but aren't Republicans also touting the Arizona immigration law case as a big victory? The "show me your papers" law still stands.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:56 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

Yeah, that will work.

ZM

Yes, multiple times, and so will you.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:47 am 

Well now Mike, I'm sure you know that the only ones paying this "tax" are those few people who refuse to buy insurance. That is projected to be about 1% of the people in this country. Most people will continue as always under their employer's policy or in their private insurance, or in medicare, or medicade. The biggest benefit is that some 30,000,000 people will have insurance that previously didn't. Some people must think that's a bad thing.

I guess some of you would want to continue to pay for those who can afford but don't buy insurance because they think that they don't need it. When something bad happens to them (car accident, etc) they go and get free care. We all pay for that by higher charges for us still paying which of course means higher premiums. I see this as a no win for Republicans who BTW have nothing to offer as a better choice.

There are several attractive parts of this program for all of us-- like not being cancelled because you get an illness, or like staying on parents policy until 26. Some suggest we keep thos parts while repealing the rest. The question begs-- Who pays for those goodies?

Change is a bitch and this one is a huge one. It is far from perfect but with this congress, it's about as good as America can get. I would want some changes too but I'm glad we didn't throw out the baby with the bath water.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:51 am 

One more thing-- this was a Republican idea. Democrats came way off their perferred law to get this passed. Unfortunately, The Republican Party has moved so far right they now reject their own solution. Why is that? Suppose it's cause they can't get credit for it???? Who cares about what's best for America???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:30 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

Yeah, that will work.

ZM

Yes, multiple times, and so will you.

ZM

I have health insurance so no.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:29 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
[
I have health insurance so no.

Really now?

do you pay rent or own a home? Plan to sell anything anytime soon? How about use of a medical instrument? Use a bandage every once is a while?

Oh, and as for your plan, better make sure it doesn't qualify as too good, or you will pay taxes on it. Or, better never, ever try to make a change in the plan or you will be dropped and forced into an exchange.

That is just the tip of the iceberg.

ZM