Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 9-11 Tribute
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:40 am 

10 years ago I certainly can remember where I was and what I was doing that morning. (I will go to my grave believing I saw the plane that crashed in Shanksville fly over my dorm) There were many feelings that happened directly after that attack: shock, fear, sadness, remorse, a sense of needing to do something. And that is what us Americans did. We all felt compassion and condolence for the families of the victims in the planes and buildings and to the first responders who arrived on scene.

Prior to this attack, everyone was against everyone else, looking out for their best interests (or their bankbooks). But somehow in the aftershock of this disaster, Americans from all political parties, races, origins, religions, and from every economic status, people were sending food, money, clothes, donating blood, anything they could to help. The phrase "We Will Not Forget" arose from the fateful Tuesday in 2001, but somewhere down the road, the shock value wore off and people went back to their normal routine. This was something that none of us should forget. There are people out there that dont like us for who and what we are. And as the years and years have gone on, one has to wonder who are we and what do we stand for?

These terrorists were out to crush the economy of America, and in a way the world, they not have succeeded the way they wanted, but we, ourselves helped them carry it out. High unemployment, a long recession, governments on the verge of financial collapse, wars, a healthcare debate, a death to the middle class, and huge seperation between the 'haves' and 'have nots'. And this is over what? Self interests, career politicians wanting to keep their jobs, and corporations trying to make the most money off the blood, sweat, and tears of the overworked American who if they are employed, are doing twice the work at less money and are in fear of asking for a raise, knowing they could easily be replaced by someone else.

Everyone needs to sit for a moment or two this weekend and reflect on their lives. Everyone needs to think for the common good of not just yourself, but everyone around you and your community. Someone needs to send a wakeup call to these politicians and let it be known we want the system fixed and it's going to take compromise. Quit looking out for yourself and put your country first. Do what's right for the Nation, your state, or your Congressional District. Dont do it for the corporate contributions, dont do it for the lobbyists, do it for America. We're not Democrats or Republicans or Christians, Muslims, or Jews, we are Americans first and foremost. Let's not forget that!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: My 9-11 Tribute
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:19 pm 

Nice sentiments, Dan. Perhaps you should share them with this person:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/the-years-of-shame/

Post subject: Re: My 9-11 Tribute
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:19 pm 

8-) 8-) Well said. I am presently somewhere over the midwest flying home to Phoenix on 9/11/11. Was a little leery of doing so but had to go to NY on some personal business with MRs. AZBF. She was very nervous about flying on this date but we decided that we msut go on and not allow fear to determine our life choices. 8-) 8-) 8-)