Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: America
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:09 pm 

I know that there exists the whole spectrum of political views here. I hold strong ones and I know others are the complete opposite. So, while I think we should talk about our country's government, I don't what to start a name calling thread. I think it's time we all stop the my way or the highway stuff and look for the solutions that insure a better America.

Who among us doesn't realize that we need to come to a workable compromise. That has been the way we have always solved problems in our country. I might add the constitutional convention was all compromise between regions which differed on certain isuues. It should be clear to all of us that without bending our views we are destroying our country. Inaction is killing us all, including I might add the stock market and many of our retirement monies.

The problem is compound-- we lowered taxes and increased spending. We did both. No one complained when their taxes went down or when the spending went up to cover medicine for the elderly, to fight wars that were thought necessary at the time. Then came the deep recession and we decided to lower taxes again, and increase spending on many humanitarian things as well as giving money to states to help them with there messes. Now we are caught and half of us blame Bush while the other half blame Obama. That fight can continue but it adds nothing to a solution to are problem.

We face high unemployment and deep borrowing at the same time. On side waqnts to cut spending without consideration as to who gets destroyed in the process while the other side wants taxes on the rich. Neither of these views can hold the day. Both have to change and give up something. Failure here is destroying the very country we all want to improve. Anyone who won't compromise needs to be out of government at the very next election. Let us all resolve to throw the bums out and stick to it.

Post subject: Re: America
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:43 pm 

True story. All valid points. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 am 

I just wonder why Ron Paul is the only politician who wants to abolish the Federal Reserve. Can't states print their own money?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:06 am 

Your problems are mirrored to a certain extent here in Britain.
The Labour Government (equivalent to the Democrats) left our finances in a huge mess. Not just because of the world economic downturn (crash), but because of their own idiotic profligate policies. Would you believe that Gordon Brown sold all our Gold Reserves when the market was at its lowest price for the last 50 years? An outgoing Minister after the election last year actually left a note saying "There is no money left!.
The self-same policies were hugely contributory to the lawlessness we experienced last week.
I have no time for left-wingers.
There - I have nailed my colours to the mast!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 pm 

Bertie wrote:
Your problems are mirrored to a certain extent here in Britain.
The Labour Government (equivalent to the Democrats) left our finances in a huge mess. Not just because of the world economic downturn (crash), but because of their own idiotic profligate policies. Would you believe that Gordon Brown sold all our Gold Reserves when the market was at its lowest price for the last 50 years? An outgoing Minister after the election last year actually left a note saying "There is no money left!.
The self-same policies were hugely contributory to the lawlessness we experienced last week.
I have no time for left-wingers.
There - I have nailed my colours to the mast!

Bertie-- curious about all of Europe. Do you think that Europe will soon unite as one nation somewhat like the U.S.? Is that something that English citizens would see as the future? Can the independent countries survive this huge globalization? If not, what do you see as the future of the UK and Europe in general?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:52 pm 

America???

Oh!

You mean North Mexico AKA the Colonized China Islands.