PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:16 pm 

Thoughts?

Should we legalize marijuana?

Post subject: Re: HR 5843
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 pm 

BBF wrote:
Thoughts?

If we legalize marijuana, then what would be next? Cocaine? Heroin?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:02 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
BBF wrote:
Thoughts?

Ah, the ol' slippery slope argument. Not the strongest argument one could make.

For the record, I stopped smoking pot in 2001 and to this day remain pot-free. That said, aside from the smell, I don't understand what makes marijuana so bad. It is no more dangerous than alcohol (most would say less dangerous), and yet our society has attempted to make it taboo. It's benign effects on the person coupled with the disrespect for law enforcement its illegality engenders leads me to believe that marijuana should be legal and just be given the same restrictive treatment as that of alcohol.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:11 am 

There's a simple solution to this.

We make all drugs legal, we just lace every 50th batch with arsenic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:42 am 

I've never smoked the herb (or tobacco) but I do go to reggae concerts. It doesn't bother me much. I'm more bothered by alcohol in our society. Too many people drink and drive. I don't drink alcohol only because I'm afraid I'll do something crazy if I get drunk. I've never been drunk before.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:18 pm 

Look at the social problems you find in any community awash in the trafficking and use of marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other controlled substances. There are violent criminals walking the streets because the jail space they rightfully deserved was occupied by nonviolent drug offenders.
Most people involved with drugs are either broken souls who made self-destructive choices or are harmless people who indulged their appetites in moderation -- not as crooks who needed to be punished.

marijuana -- is a drug I have never seen anyone overdose on or influence anyone to do anything more violent than attack a bag of potato chips -- should be legalized.

The hardiest supporters and harshest critics come from the same group: law enforcement. Many of them on both sides of the debate share my views about the futility of the drug war and agree it carries a substantial downside.
What generally separates those who agree with me from those who don't is their take on a question they almost invariably put to me: Won't legalizing drugs lead more people to take them and thus make things worse?
I do not know whether legalizing drugs will increase their popularity. But I suspect that if we approach legalization thoughtfully and pursue a sensible post-legalization strategy, then the drug rolls will not swell. They may in fact decline.
But even if more people do take drugs in the wake of legalization, we would live in a society where citizens suffer far less from the predatory crimes spawned by the illicit drug trade.

In the end, we cannot protect people from their own poor choices, and we should not use the force of law to try. In a free society negative consequences befall people who use their freedom to do foolish things.

Victimless self-destructive behavior is its own punishment, not the business of the legal system.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:15 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
BBF wrote:
Thoughts?

Yes, Why not?