Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Iraq Illegal immigrants
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:18 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yep, Jeremey, you got it.

All the more reason to have 'em get out of the way and let the industry solve the issues.

The refining issue is what baffles me, most. I can understand the "not in my backyard" syndrome... in certain locales. But, I bet you my next paycheck that if you offered to build a new, modern, high tech refinery at the abandoned air base in New Orleans, they would jump on it tomorrow. And, if you want to see a city revitalized immediately.....

One congressman has actually proposed using a number of the abandoned DOD/DOE sites across the nation for expansion of refining capacity. These are beat up sites that often already undergo Superfund cleanup. A new refinery would only help clean those places up. And, I think the locals in Rome, NY wouldn't mind the jobs one iota.

There is a lot of capacity to be had yet in the market. It will take a lot longer than anyone's got to exceed it.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:29 pm 

Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
That's one refinery in how many years? Yep, companies sure are rushing to build refineries..

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/06/04/sd_county_approves_rezoning_for_new_oil_refinery/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Latest+news

OOPS! :o

That's just the US. Care to talk about the new refineries springing-up around the world?

Wow. You've now found two refineries in the entire United States. I guess I'm wrong. Everybody is building them. Kinda makes me wonder about all the bitching over environmentalists, though.

sisyphus wrote:
"For a while" means not all that long. Yes, there is still a lot of oil down there. Either your highly qualified experts forgot to mention that it's very expensive oil to obtain or else you left that part out. Eventually oil prices will rise to a point where it becomes profitable to drill for oil that isn't economically feasible today. It's already happening, but there's still a long way to go.

This is laugable, I ask you to define "for a while" and your answer is you meant to say "not all that long". I'm afraid to ask you what "not all that long" means.[/quote]
It means that I don't have enough information to put a date on it.

sisyphus wrote:
What is it you're smoking? You think that oil is not a dwindling resource? ROFLMAO.

Dwindling in the short term? No. The short term being a very conservative 50-100 years. I also wouldn't be surprised if the reserves last for a few hundred years. Back in the 60's I'll bet you were crowing about how the oil reserves would be gone by 2000. The fact of the matter is no one knows for sure, and the ones who may know, aren't telling. So unless you are willing to put a real time frame on your doom and gloom prognostications, your arguement is nothing more than thinly veiled scare tactics, all blather, no substance.[/quote]
Back in the '60s I was crowing about the Pirates, as I was a boy.

I wouldn't be surprised if reserves lasted a few hundred years either. I would be surprised if the average person could afford to fill a gas tank for the next few hundred years, though. Oil is a finite resource, while demand continues to escalate. We won't run out of oil because less and less people will be able to afford it every year. Price increases do tend to impact demand. You're seeing it right now, mostly through people downsizing from SUVs and trucks to more efficient cars. I note that my 1990 Geo Metro is worth more money today than it was worth in 1996 when the engine died and I sold it to a mechanic because putting in a new engine cost more than the car was worth..

sisyphus wrote:
I see. You don't like taxation. You prefer user fees. That's fine with me. You can just start things off by exempting me from school taxes and every other sort of tax that supports children, since I'm childless. I shouldn't be paying for interstates, as I don't drive. I opposed invading Iraq, so I would be getting a nice chunk of tax money back for that, except we put that one on the charge card. I didn't see the point on giving massive tax breaks to oil companies at a time when they were achieving record profits annually, and, once again, I don't drive, so I'd like to have my share of those tax breaks returned.

:roll: That's not what I said at all. Comprehension skills a bit lax? I said that I think taxes collected for a particular purpose, should be used for that particular purpose. A gas tax should not be paying down the national debt.

I'll bet you have the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" on Blueray and a signed hard back copy of "An Inconvenient Truth" on your living room coffee table.

Hate the "rich"...............................[/quote]
Perhaps you've missed the fact that the national debt isn't being paid down. It's increasing.

Revenue is revenue. I don't much care for the fact that I'm still paying a tax on alcohol that was instituted to provide relief for the Johnstown flood, either, but I am.

By the way, you'd lose both bets. Never seen the movie; never read the book. Sounds to me like you need to, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:30 pm 

Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
I'm not 100% sure I have that right, though, so somebody correct me if I'm don't.

You'm don't. :)

Then correct me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:46 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Yep, taxes are going to go up. Somebody has to pay for the deficits run up by six years of Republican domination of Congress and the White House, and the longer we wait to pay, the worse it will be.

Quote:
You don't like taxation. You prefer user fees. That's fine with me. You can just start things off by exempting me from school taxes and every other sort of tax that supports children, since I'm childless. I shouldn't be paying for interstates, as I don't drive. I opposed invading Iraq, so I would be getting a nice chunk of tax money back for that, except we put that one on the charge card. I didn't see the point on giving massive tax breaks to oil companies at a time when they were achieving record profits annually, and, once again, I don't drive, so I'd like to have my share of those tax breaks returned.

Ah, OK, now we see where you're coming from.

Don't suppose you'd care to defend the fact that since your guys took control of both houses of Congress, the futures price of a barrel of crude has gone from $56 to $136.04 (it was $145.29 as trading closed last week) and the average price of gasoline from $2.41 a gallon to $4.11?

First of all, those aren't "my guys". The only reason I've ever been registered as a Democrat in my life is because I was living in Pittsburgh and wanted to have a say in who the next mayor would be. When I live outside of Pittsburgh I always register as an independent.

Would you care to show cause and effect to affix the responsibility for rising gas prices on the Democrats? I'd be interested in seeing that, given the cost of oil when Bush took office, and the fact that the Republicans have virtually stymied Democratic legislation through the fililbuster and the veto pen.

Quote:
But Nancy Pelosi said when she was about to become Speaker of the House that Democrats had "a plan to lower gas prices." I imagine we'll see it taking effect any day now, right? ;)

Nancy Pelosi was full of crap when she said that. Nothing is going to lower gas prices. Maybe a stable political situation in the Persian Gulf area would do it, but what are the chances we'll be seeing that any time soon?

[quote'And the record oil company profits they love to bloviate about: According to the nonpartisan Tax Foundation, those haven't exceeded the industry's combined federal, state, and local tax payments since 1983.[/quote]
First of all, a link would be most helpful. Second, you're statement that the Tax Foundation is "nonpartisan" doesn't mean squat without evidence. Third, so what? The oil companies are EXTREMELY profitible, more profitable right now than any other industry in the world (at least I can't think of a more profitable industry). What that has to do with the taxes they paid 25 years ago is beyond me, but, if you did go back and check, you'd find that they were also profitable back in 1983, 1984, 1985, and every year after that as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:51 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

All the more reason to have 'em get out of the way and let the industry solve the issues.

Corporations are not in business to solve issues. They are in business to make profits, and rare is the corporation that will pass on profits today to and make the wisest choice for the long term. Shareholders don't see past the next annual report. It isn't unusual to see a CEO canned for not making as much money for the shareholders as they expected, even though the company turned a profit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:30 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
First of all, a link would be most helpful. Second, you're statement that the Tax Foundation is "nonpartisan" doesn't mean squat without evidence. Third, so what? The oil companies are EXTREMELY profitible, more profitable right now than any other industry in the world (at least I can't think of a more profitable industry). What that has to do with the taxes they paid 25 years ago is beyond me, but, if you did go back and check, you'd find that they were also profitable back in 1983, 1984, 1985, and every year after that as well.

Here's your link:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1139.html

Quote:
About the Tax Foundation

Our Mission
The mission of the Tax Foundation is to educate taxpayers about sound tax policy and the size of the tax burden borne by Americans at all levels of government. From its founding in 1937, the Tax Foundation has been grounded in the belief that the dissemination of basic information about government finance is the foundation of sound policy in a free society.

What Do We Stand For?
As a nonpartisan educational organization, the Tax Foundation has earned a reputation for independence and credibility. However, it is not devoid of perspective. All Tax Foundation research is guided by the following principles of sound tax policy, which should serve as touchstones for good tax policy everywhere:

Simplicity: The tax system should be as simple as possible, and taxes should be easy to understand and comply with.

Transparency: Taxes should be as visible as possible to taxpayers, and should make clear who and what is being taxed.

Stability: Tax law should not change continually, and changes in tax law should not be retroactive.

Neutrality: Taxes should aim to raise revenue with a minimum of economic distortion, and should not attempt to micromanage the economy.

Growth-Promotion: Taxes should raise revenue for programs while consuming as small a portion of national income as possible, and should interfere with economic growth, trade and capital flows as little as possible.

How Should Journalists Describe Us?
The Tax Foundation is a nonpartisan tax research group based in Washington, D.C.

To put it as you would, so what if the oil companies are extremely profitable? They supply the lifeblood of this economy. Without them, it grinds to a halt. They also provide hundreds of thousands of good jobs. How much money they or any other legal industry make is none of government's business as long as they pay their taxes. And, as we've seen, oh, do they pay taxes.

You want a correlation between Democrat-controlled Congresses and the rising prices of oil and gasoline:

On May 21, the Senate Judiciary Committee took testimony from the chairmen, presidents, or senior vice-presidents of Exxon/Mobil, Chevron, Shell, ConocoPhillips and BP America. I quote from John Hoffmeister of Shell:

Quote:
The problem of access can be solved in this country by the same government that has prohibited it. Congress could have chosen to lift some or all of the current restrictions on exportation and production of oil and gas. Congress could provide national policy to reverse the persistent decline of domestically secure natural resource development.

And while, thankfully, she hasn't had the opportunity to do so yet, US Rep. Maxine Waters (D) of California, one day later before the same guys suggested what her approach would be to the oil companies if she had her way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN6s1KVFBNg

But then, rarely has Maxine Waters been accused of playing with a full deck.

As to your point about Republicans virtually stymiing Democratic legislation through the filibuster and veto pen: In almost eight years in office, Bush 42 has vetoed nine (9) pieces of legislation. Three have been overridden. The link, since I imagine you'll want to check it:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/Legislation/Vetoes/BushGW.htm

Hmm: nine vetoes in just under eight years: Why, that works out to an average of 1.125 per year. Shocking, I know. But then the Founding Fathers did give us a government built on a system of checks and balances.

Bill Clinton, for purposes of comparison, vetoed 37 in eight years. http://hnn.us/articles/6190.html

Filibustering: It's a useful tool in the Senate, which both parties resort to -- increasingly since national politics have become so polarized. Again, so what? Take the case of trying to censure Attorney General Gonzalez over the dismissal of US attorneys: The administration had every right to do that. The censure effort by Democrats was grandstanding; it deserved to be filibustered. Or the Employee Free Choice Act of 2007. It would have taken away an employee's right to vote in secret on whether his or her workplace should be unionized. That's democratic (lower case "d")? Don't think so.

The day will come when Republicans are back in control of the Senate, and it'll probably be by a narrow majority. Then the Democrats won't hesitate to filibuster, as indeed they did in the recent past.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:48 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

Corporations are not in business to solve issues. They are in business to make profits, and rare is the corporation that will pass on profits today to and make the wisest choice for the long term. Shareholders don't see past the next annual report. It isn't unusual to see a CEO canned for not making as much money for the shareholders as they expected, even though the company turned a profit.

Hence the amazing severance packages.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:28 pm 

Well now Sis, I take issue with your understanding of Adam Smith and perhaps it's my turn at bat.

When The Wealth of Nations was written, it was a far different world. The invisible hand clearly worked and made us the richest country in the world with the highest standard of living. Yes, building a better mouse trap not only benefits the inventor but provides all of us with a better way of doing something. In general, we all gain by being guarenteed the 'best possible product, at the best possible price.' For any businessman to succeed, he must provide both of these elements or not sell his product. Smith gave us all that theory and more and was absolutely correct. THAT WAS IN THE 1700s.

It works when there is competition for sales. Today, there is little price competition, so we don't get the best possible price. When an oligopoly is the seller, they do not compete on price, i.e. automobile industry, tobacco, steel, aluminum, almost all industries. The also offer almost the same product to buyers. So, we no longer get the best possible product either. The invisible hand is becoming very invisible today.

It worked because an individual's self-interest ended up benefitting all of society. Ask yourself if we gain anything today when Exxon maximizes it's profits. The answer is clearly the reverse.

The other serious problem that exists today is the problem of elasticity of demand. My dad always said that if steak got to high priced, we all could stop buying it and sure enough the price would come down. No longer true. It does have some merit with products that we don't need, but doesn't work with those things we feel we must buy. The more inelastic a product is, the less a price change affects it sale. The demand stays almost the same.

Example is gas. We all need it to get to work, school and just living life. If the price goes up or down, the demand is not changed much. Even when prices have radical increases like our gasoline, we buy almost as much. We can do without steak, not so with gasoline. One more example is prescription drugs. No wonder the price is so high and going up. People who need them will pay almost any price to get them. The industry argues many other reasons, but the truth is they have us by the b...s and they are doing what any good capitalist does, squeeze.

I could go on here forever, but...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:48 pm 

As far as politically, I don't think Bush is trying to destroy the working class. I do believe that by being so biased to the wealthy, he is helping destoy the middle. Let's not argue whether that's happening, it clearly is going away. Has he done anything to help medigate that issue? If he has it's surely slipped by me. What has he done to help wages? Health care costs? Paid overtime? There are examples everywhere in our country that his administration has put the little guy back in his place.

Government has a function to protect us all from abusers, and make sure there is a level playing field. The only way that can happen is if is has regulations. The adage that we need to get rid of all regulation and let business make money is now finally being questioned. Airlines want regulation, consumers want it from the price gaugers, workers need help for retirement. We all need it to control health caree costs. Government has a function here folks.

Bush and his ilk want to get rid of all government and let peolpe survive on their own. Do we want any more of that type of thinking?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:16 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
As far as politically, I don't think Bush is trying to destroy the working class. I do believe that by being so biased to the wealthy, he is helping destoy the middle. Let's not argue whether that's happening, it clearly is going away. Has he done anything to help medigate that issue? If he has it's surely slipped by me. What has he done to help wages? Health care costs? Paid overtime? There are examples everywhere in our country that his administration has put the little guy back in his place.

Government has a function to protect us all from abusers, and make sure there is a level playing field. The only way that can happen is if is has regulations. The adage that we need to get rid of all regulation and let business make money is now finally being questioned. Airlines want regulation, consumers want it from the price gaugers, workers need help for retirement. We all need it to control health caree costs. Government has a function here folks.

Bush and his ilk want to get rid of all government and let peolpe survive on their own. Do we want any more of that type of thinking?

Huh?

Is that why under his administration we now have a Department of Homeland Security? Why the cabinet now includes a secretary of veterans affairs? Why he signed the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act that opinion polls showed even the elderly didn't want and hadn't asked for? (And that will cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars.)

Not to mention the "no child left behind" education-reform legislation.

Yep, those have reduced the role of government, all right.

And biased toward the wealthy? You mean Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, George Soros, Stephen Rockefeller, Ted Turner, Larry Ellison (Oracle Corp.), Haim Saban (Saban Entertainment), Stephen Schwarzman (Blackstone Group), Steve Jobs (Apple Computers), Louis Susman (Edgewater Funds), Peter Lewis (Progressive Insurance), Herb Sandler (Air America) -- those wealthy people? Oscar Wyatt (Coastal Corp.) was one of them, too, before he went to prison in the Iraq oil-for-food scandal. All multibillionaires. All flaming liberals. All huge contributors to -- uh -- the Democratic Party.

I could go on, if you like. There are many more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:51 am 

I cannot speak one way or another on most of these subjects in these previous posts, but as a teacher, I can comfortably state that the No Child Left Behind legislation from the Bush administration is laughable in its expectations. It was put together by politicians with no clue as to what can and cannot be accomplished with students in this day and age. These guys who grew up in the 40's, 50's and 60's simply expect educational strategies that they grew up with to work now. They haven't figured out that what worked then will not work now. It is a different world, with different parents, different kids and different issues. It is another example of the "one size fits all" mentality. I have taught in each of the last 4 decades (oh my!) and can attest to the changes. NCLB also expects that ALL students, yes 100%, will be on grade level or above in the next 4-6 years. That just ain't gonna happen folks for a myriad of reasons to lengthy to list. Add to this that schools are not equally nor adequately funded. Just as an example, the Special Ed. programs mandated by the feds are only 25-27% funded. We, middle schools, are given 134 criteria to meet to be considered a performing school. Failure to meet one of those 134 criteria results in being labeled a failing school. Our school failed just one. You can guess the result. Oh, and what criteria did we fail, our populations segment consisting of about 20 English Language Learners, ELL or ESL, depending where you live, failed to make adequate yearly improvement. Of course they can't take the testing in their own native language either. LOLOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:58 am 

Has de-rerulation had a role in the financial mess we are now in? Have banks in their desire to make more money given out loans over and over to people who couldn't afford them? De-reguation let them do it. Borrowers should have known better but most Americans turn to the lending institution for expertise in borrowing and most believed that they wouldn't get the loan if they couldn't make payments. DE-REGULATE THEM AND LET THEM MAKE MONEY.

Has the value of our currency gone down drastically because of the huge debt incurred by this Bush War? There should be no question that we are buying whatever preceived calmness in Iraq. We have paid the rebels to stop, and of course, we have sent more Americans to be in harms way. We have additionally spent billions over there in this Bush War for the people of Iraq to rebuild what we should never of destroyed. We have also for the last three or four years been paying big bonuses to get young people to sign up -- 20,000 to 30,000 or we would have no army of volunmteers. Even at that we seem to need more to sustain the offensive. So, we're about to declare victory and reduce the number of troops in Iraq. We have no choice.

Has the economy gone to hell because of this mess. Yes, deficit spending for this war has put us at the mercy of other countries. The world has less confidence in our money because we are more unstable. What has this leader done to solve any of these problems? Recommender that we allow oil companies have more rights for drilling that will not solve the problem at all. We need an FDR approach to the problem. An all out effort inspired and incentivized by our government to get us independent of oil as quickly as possible.

When your currency goes down like ours has, the result is the everything that you iimport goes up in price. Guess what that include a majority of consumer goods and gasoline for sure. So, now we get the inflation to add to all the other screw up of this Presidency. Can he mess anything else up in his remaining months? One of the worst if not the worst we have ever had.

Last edited by Substitute2 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:13 pm 

BTW Bob, the elderly AARP oppossed the drug bill as written because the pharmacudical industry was the biggest winner in the deal. Many who worked on the bill in Congress or staff, are now gainfully employed by the drug companies for huge salaries, Not a coincidence that they got the most out of that deal. Again biased for the wealthy.
We're not allowed to buy drugs from Canada according to the Bush FDA. That decision only continues the rape of the middle to help the rich.

No President, even Bush, could not re-act to 911 with something like Homeland Security Office. Most would have required some competence for leaders in that critical department. Remember 'Brownie's doing a hell of a job down here' (New Orleans aftermath, according to Bush). Yes, FEMA is part of Homeland Security.

I could go on and on and on...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:15 pm 

Az-- I am a retired teacher who Subs now (39 years all together). You put your finger on another Bush mess. What a terrible program.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:22 pm 

Now you know where I stand on todays politics. I'm sorry if I bored you to death, and I'll try not to do that any more, but I gutta tell you that a rant like that sure made me feel better. I needed to get that off my chest.

Again, sorry.

SUB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:37 pm 

So, from a global perspective, if you have net worth of more than $61,000, you are rich.

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/12/define-rich.html

So who's in charge of defining "rich" anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:53 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Our betters, silly!

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:54 pm 

Wow! So much doom and gloom.

Where to start?

Well, OK, someone show me where I said the No Child Left Behind Act was good law. I believe that all I said was it came during the administration of Bush 42. And you do realize who wrote it, right?

That would be US Sen. Ted Kennedy (D) of Massachusetts.

Military enlistment bonuses: Surely, you're aware that in one form or another, they've been around for generations. That's generations -- not just since the the war in Iraq began. And so what? You're a sports fan; do you have a problem with the concept of signing bonuses?

Mortgage loans to people who couldn't afford them: Congress's fault, folks. Do you doubt that? Read the following:
(http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/30/real_estate/congress_subprime.fortune/index.htm

BTW, got any idea what the percentage of mortgagees is who are in default on their subprime loans? According to the New York Times (citing Mortgage Bankers Association statistics), as of March -- four months ago -- it was 7.9 percent. If my math is accurate, that means 92.1 percent of mortgage-payers aren't in default or being foreclosed upon. The same Mortgage Bankers Association reported earlier this month that applications for new home loans in the week ending July 4 went up 7.5 percent over the previous week.

http://www.mortgagebankers.org/NewsandMedia/PressCenter/63552.htm

So, somebody apparently is still optimistic about home ownership.

National debt: Of course, it's high and growing. Yes, the dollar has dropped in value compared to the euro. But that will turn around in time; it always has. Would you rather live in Europe, where -- since you're not a citizen -- you're probably unemployable and may not be eligible to buy real estate? Or in Latin America, most of whose economies are mired in poverty? Or maybe in China, where the air isn't breathable and farmers still fertilize their crops with "night soil"?

Economy/inflation: Officially, on an annualized basis, inflation hit 4.18 percent in May. In India, whose economy is growing faster than almost any other country's except China, it's 11 percent. China's? In the most recent report I've seen, which the Beijing government issued in February, it was 8.7 percent and had just risen at the fastest rate in 12 years.

Meanwhile, the US unemployment rate, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm , held steady last month at 5.5 percent. Canada's is 6 percent, China's 6.1 percent, Germany's 8.4, Iran's 11. The world average last year was estimated at 27 percent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate

Importing prescription drugs from Canada: According to CNN http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/05/pf/saving/toptips/index.htm, US Customs and Homeland Security stopped confiscating them in October 2006. That being the case, people who aren't taking advantage either aren't informed or have made a conscious choice not do do so.

I don't dispute that congressional figures and perhaps even some from the administration have taken high-paying jobs in the pharmaceutical industry. Yeah, that may smell to high heaven, but last time I checked it's not illegal and has been going on for centuries. Do you also condemn the double-dippers who do the reverse and slide into jobs in government after they retire from the private sector? So that they qualify for two pensions, of course.

Independence from oil: Not -- I repeat, not -- gonna happen. Your children's grandchildren are still going to be using it. Just today (July 15), Boeing and Airbus announced orders at the Farnborough Air Show in England for 304 new passenger jets that won't even be delivered for years. And the show isn't over yet, so there may well be more. That's on top of the 506 that were ordered last year at the Paris Air Show. Airlines wouldn't order them if they didn't have confidence that oil will be available in abundance for generations into the future.

When it's obvious that the world finally is running out of oil, new technologies will be coming on line and in economies of scale that the transition will be smooth. You and I just won't be around to see it happen.

Last edited by Bob in Boston on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
When it's obvious that the world finally is running out of oil, new technologies will be coming on line and in economies of scale that the transition will be smooth.

Bingo!!

Expecting the government to force free enterprises into adopting "new technologies" is a freakin' riot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:04 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Our betters, silly!

ZM

Oh, I'll just wait for Sisy to stop by and clear all this up then. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next