Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies You've Seen Recently (Old and New)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:46 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Is that about Gram Parsons? 8-) 8-)

Yes...I wasnt sure what to think of when a friend of mine got it for me because of Knoxville, but I was surprised...

The budget was minimal, they drove around out in the desert in a hearse for the majority of it...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:41 pm 

I purchased a DVD of the movie It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. It's a hilarious movie with tons of movie stars. The Filling Station Demolition scene with Jonathan Winters is very funny.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:43 pm 

Great cast. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 pm 

I recently tried catching up on a ton of movies. I will probably forget some in this post, but if I do I will just post them in another thread. There are a lot of oldies but goodies in here, I think.

Blade Runner - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/ - Harrison Ford plays a law enforcement officer in LA with a mission to destroy a group of replicants (human-like robots designed as slave labor on other planets by humans on Earth).

I thought Blade Runner was pretty good. I liked the futuristic setting, but didn't quite understand why everyone in LA was Asian.

Fargo - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116282/ - I feel like I was the last person on Earth to see this one. In this Coen brothers movie Frances McDormand plays a witty small town police officer with a thick accent who is faced with the task of investigating a rash of criminal behavior revolving around William H. Macy's character (Jerry Lundegaard).

Fargo is worth watching for sure. According to almost all critics it's one of the finest movies of the 1990s. Trying to classify this movie as a particular genre is pretty difficult for me because it seems so lighthearted at times yet feels like a drama, particularly at the end when the world is collapsing on Lundegaard. Macy and McDormand play really great roles in this and I would think that McDormand's performance is worth watching this alone. The scene with the woodchipper at the end is unreal.

Leaving Las Vegas - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113627/ - Nicholas Cage plays a Hollywood executive who wants to drink himself to death in Las Vegas after being fired from his job. Once there he meets a prostitute and shares a relationship with her which is acceptable to both of them because neither one questions the other's lifestyle.

Despite how depressing this movie is, I really liked it. In the face of so much pain and suffering, there is still the beauty of the relationship that Ben Sanderson (Cage) and Sera (Elizabeth Shue, aforementioned prostitute) share. In a world where women want men to change and men want women to change, etc. these two accept each other for who they are - and love each other as they are.

Jerry Maguire - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116695/ - Tom Cruise stars as Jerry Maguire, a sports agent who takes offense to the current state of his profession and writes a "mission statement" about what the future of the industry and company should be. He gets to try his luck at his "mission" after he is abruptly fired for writing his piece. He falls in love with Dorothy Boyd (Renee Zellweger) the one person who will come with him and his goldfish to embark on his new journey as they struggle to keep their one client, Arizona Cardinals WR Rod Tidwell (Cuba Gooding Jr.) happy.

Of all the movies I have watched recently, this is my absolute favorite. I saw it on TV late one night and absolutely fell in love with the characters and the plot. Like all the others in this post, I had never seen it before. I watched it again the next day on Netflix because I liked it so much. Part of me thinks that I fell in love with Renee Zellweger, but truthfully I think it was her character that really had that kind of impact on me. In a world full of difficulty, Jerry Maguire finds true love with Dorothy.

To borrow one of the movie's famous lines; Jerry Maguire 'had me at hello.'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:16 pm 

I broke this up into two posts so that I didn't mistakenly lose the first post. Here's the continuation:

Empire Records - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112950/ - An employee at an independent record store finds out that he and his co-workers may soon be out of a job by way of the store being purchased by the big box retailer. The movie documents the day after he tries to gamble the store's earnings in order to save the store from it's fate.

Empire Records was an entertaining enough movie. I love movies from the 90s because of the nostalgia they provide me. Nothing is better than hearing the Gin Blossoms in some feel good flick from this time period for me, but I know that's not for everybody. I would recommend this as a casual watch but it's nothing Earth shattering. If you're like me and fondly remember the time period it's certainly worth checking out.

Chicago - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299658/ - Richard Gere plays a smooth talking big city attorney attempting to free a star performer (Catherine Zeta-Jones) and a dreamer (Renee Zellweger) from prison in this musical. The city's gone crazy! The women are revolting against their husbands and lovers with pistols!

I didn't think I would like this but it turned out better than I thought. I think the acting was really good. I'm not much for musicals but I did think that the dancing and singing was entertaining enough. The storyline really kept me interested. If you missed this and can stand a musical, give it a chance. If you can't stand the musical format then I wouldn't go this direction. If you like women in skimpy outfits this is the movie for you. Check out the scene in the prison where the women are talking about how they did (or didn't) kill their lovers. It's hot.

Teeth - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780622/ - Jess Weixler stars as Dawn, a pure and chaste teenager who speaks at rallies to promote promise rings and the like. Dawn, however, harbors a dark secret: vagina dentata (ouch!).

This is far from the greatest movie in the world. It's really not scary but it's interesting enough. Who wouldn't be interested in a movie about a vagina with teeth? Can anyone tame the beast? Can this chaste teenager learn to control her defense mechanism?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:11 am 

NDL wrote:
Nothing is better than hearing the Gin Blossoms in some feel good flick from this time period for me, but I know that's not for everybody.

Ah the Blossoms. Did many shows at Long Wongs and the Sun Club with them. Good guys. At one point they approached me about handling them and I turned it down. Had enough young bands on my plate at the time and Doug Hopkins was in the throes of severe alcoholism and depression and I just didn't want to take that on. His demise is a sad sad story. Incredibly talented but troubled man. :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:55 pm 

I recently read about Doug Hopkins and couldn't believe it.

I love 90s rock music like Third Eye Blind, the Gin Blossoms, and Collective Soul. What's so weird about it, though, is that the sound is generally upbeat or feel-good and the lyrics are so sad.

What a wasted talent with Hopkins, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:16 pm 

A tormented soul. :( :( :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:06 pm 

Hereafter with Matt Damon. Considering this movie was directed by Clint Eastwood and produced by Steven Spielberg, you would think good things are coming. What an awful movie. The script was all over the place. I get the premise, but it wasn't executed properly. Just a poorly done movie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:47 pm 

Limitless with Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro. Pretty good movie. Didn't know which way it was going to go. Script was well-done as well as the execution. Acting was very good. Cooper was the main character while DeNiro did a great job in a supporting role. Definitely recommend.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:56 pm 

Salt with Angelina Jolie. I have two words for the movie. STAY AWAY. Do you know how movies like Die Hard or TV shows like 24 seem unrealistic at times? Multiply that by 100 times. The plot was actually not too bad, but poorly executed. Jolie was okay, but these scenes were so unrealistic, you were laughing instead of on the edge of your seat. I didn't have to pay to see it so I didn't waste money. But unless you are really bored, don't waste your time.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:22 am 

Just got done watching Thor. I had low expectations for this because I thought the trailers sucked for it. I was pleasantly surprised and overall enjoyed it. Some of the fighting scenes were sloppy, but other effects were done well. As far as the story goes, I usually give the first movie from a comic book a pass, because they need to set the picture and give the back story. Thor did a decent job of doing this while still flowing along. As with the other movies that will merge into The Avengers next year, there was subtle (sometimes not so subtle) guest appearances and of course...stay for after the credits roll for an extra snippet.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:11 am 

The King's Speech with Colin Ferth and Geoffrey Rush. Outstanding. Great acting and a very interesting story. And the Director translated it well to the screen. The Brits can be an odd bunch with their customs and traditions (no offense Bertie), but the hierarchy of the royals is compelling. Definitely recommend and deserved all the Oscars it received.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:30 pm 

Chris, did you see Thor in 3D? I just saw the standard version a week or so ago. My girlfriend and I really liked it. She likes action movies and superhero movies and of course fell in love with Mr. Thor. I thought it was interesting enough. Sometimes I think these superhero movies are just stupid but this one held my interest and wasn't too corny. Having Anthony Hopkins play a role in it actually helped legitimize it to me for some reason. I'm sure we'll be seeing the other Avenger movies.

I always laugh when I see Natalie Portman in a movie because the bathroom at Hemmingway's bar in Oakland always has a number of items of graffiti on their wall. It's literally like some sort of tradition because as soon as the walls are painted the same things will be back up on the wall the next day. One of them says: "Natalie Portman is alright." It really cracks me up because somebody who has luke-warm feelings about Natalie Portman in the first place feels so strongly about that fact that they need to write it on the bathroom wall. So, in this movie: Natalie Portman is alright.

I saw The King's Speech on my way back home from Dublin this spring. I wish I could have seen it on bigger screen but I still got the picture. Certainly, that's a great movie. I'd second bucco's review. I would recommend the King's Speech to anyone.

The Brits do have some strange traditions. When we first got to London and were on a tour of the city we stopped by a park. When we got out and were stretching our legs and what not, our tour guide told us that at the corner of the park we were standing at, people would come out on Sunday and were allowed to say whatever they want. Apparently sometimes people go on some serious rants there. Then, she mentioned that you can say anything you want as long as you don't insult the royal family. Lame.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:43 am 

Indy Jones and Raiders of the lost Ark... still fun movie to see... but still prefer Temple of Doom

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:16 pm 

I saw The Smurfs (with the kids). Don't waste your money on the DVD rental.

Also so Super 8. Not too bad, but I think it was trying to create a scary "Stand By Me" or "Sandlot" and it didn't work for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:49 pm 

Took my wife to see "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" last night. Charming story with superb acting by an all-star cast. It's about a group of aging Brits who are lured to what they think is a luxury retirement resort in India. I won't give away any more of the plot. But for those of you who are married or have a significant other, I can pretty well guarantee that she'll be delighted by it even if you aren't.

If you go, look for the two scenes involving the Kama Sutra manual. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 am 

Took Mrs. AZBF to see the documentary "Marley" yesterday afternoon. If you are a fan of reggae or Marley, you will thoroughly enjoy it. Highlights are commentary by Bunny Wailer and Lee "Scratch" Perry. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:39 am 

I saw three DVD movies over the weekend.

War Horse - Steven Spielberg directed and it showed. The visual part of the movie was great. However, the story dragged at times and I didn't think it was the best movie from last year. I would still recommend it, especially if you are a fan of horses.

We Bought A Zoo - Rented this for the kids, but ended up watching it. Better than I thought although a little cheesy at times. Based on a true story except for the romantic relationships they added. That was kind of the cheesy part.

J. Edgar - Was disappointed with this. I am a big history buff so I thought I would really like this, but the story was not fluid and there was probably too much info to shove into two hours. Hoover was very complex. DiCaprio was excellent. The rest of the cast okay. But the movie bored me more than educated me so I give it thumbs down.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:34 pm 

"Tomboy," a French film about a ten year-old girl who pretends to be a boy when her family moves to a new
city. It was well received in international film festivals, including Berlin's. I liked it, didn't love it..
I won free passes from a local college radio station.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next