Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rob Rogers Cartoon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:08 am 

Anyone see Rob Rogers Cartoon in the 6-2-08 Post Gazette? You cant see it online untill the next day but it shows a Doctor showing a person(representing Pgh Sports Talk Radio) and x-ray telling the patient..."Your cancer has been removed but there is a chance it could return" The x-ray shows the cancer turmor with Mark Maddens's name pointed at it.

Think Rob Rogers will get fired? Will Bob Smizik write an article bashing his employer for printing this?

OK here it is
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/060 ... s_Talk.gif

Last edited by bullishhitter on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Rob Rogers Cartoon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:46 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Anyone see Rob Rogers Cartoon in the 6-2-08 Post Gazette? You cant see it online untill the next day but it shows a Doctor showing a person(representing Pgh Sports Talk Radio) and x-ray telling the patient..."Your cancer has been removed but there is a chance it could return" The x-ray shows the cancer turmor with Mark Maddens's name pointed at it.

Think Rob Rogers will get fired? Will Bob Smizik write an article bashing his employer for printing this?

Does Madden have brain cancer and a long career in public service? Is there a difference between a talk show host on the public airwaves and a political cartoonist in a newspaper? Is the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette owned by ESPN? Has the Post-Gazette warned Rogers repeatedly in the past, as ESPN warned Madden? Can the FCC levy huge fines on a newspaper?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:29 pm 

Both Rogers and Madden are media members who write/draw/voice their opinion for entertainment. Both of them use humor loaded with sarcasm and both have made very offensive statements.
I've laughed at many of the statements each have made over the years. I do find some hypocrisy that one gets canned for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:18 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Both Rogers and Madden are media members who write/draw/voice their opinion for entertainment. Both of them use humor loaded with sarcasm and both have made very offensive statements.
I've laughed at many of the statements each have made over the years. I do find some hypocrisy that one gets canned for it.

Why? ESPN and the PG are two separate entities. Where's the hypocrisy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:43 pm 

Willton wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

True, two different companies but both in the media business.
Bob Smizik and Rogers work for the same employer. Smizik ripped Madden for his offensive, insensitive statement about a Democrat. Rogers has done this many times before, mostly ripping the GOP. If you are going to rip one, be fair and rip the other. But the PG is slanted big time to the left. So is Smizik.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:08 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:

It would be hypocrisy for ESPN to fire one offensive on air personality after several warnings while keeping another who has more warnings. ESPN does not employ Rogers, and the Post-Gazette does not fall under the jurisdiction of the FCC. You ought to look up the word hypocrisy, because you clearly don't know what it means.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:13 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Willton wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

True, two different companies but both in the media business.

But not in the same business. One is licensed by the government to use public airwaves and is regulated by the FCC. The other is guaranteed freedom by the Constitution of the United States. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Quote:
Bob Smizik and Rogers work for the same employer. Smizik ripped Madden for his offensive, insensitive statement about a Democrat. Rogers has done this many times before, mostly ripping the GOP. If you are going to rip one, be fair and rip the other. But the PG is slanted big time to the left. So is Smizik.

Oh, so now you want to make it political, eh? ROFL. Here's a simple solution: stop reading the Post-Gazette and start reading Mellon-Scaife's right wing loony rag. Of course, that really won't make any difference, because Madden was not fired for taking a shot at a Democrat. Smizik was critical of Madden long before he took any shots at politicians, and ESPN has warned Madden in the past concerning comments that had nothing to do with politicians. Just face it: not everybody shares your taste for Madden's style.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:28 pm 

Bob Smizik and the PG are the hypocrites here. They let Smizik rip Madden's cruel comments and off color remarks and question the company he worked for for allowing it. Yet Rogers through his cartoons can has made cruel and off color statments via the same company that employs Smizik.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:37 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:

OK here it is
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/060 ... s_Talk.gif

I have no idea if Rogers will get fired for this cartoon but I highly doubt it. If he did get fired, it would be well within the PPG's right to do so barring any contractual claims or collective bargaining claims (if he is covered by a union contract). Rogers would not have a claim against the PPG under the 1st Amendment. Now . . . if Rogers was wearing a sandwich board and was walking up and down the street and was arrested for his viewpoint, then you might have a 1st amendment issue. Or, if the U.S. Government shut down the PPG because of the cartoon, you would have a 1st amendment issue. Government regulation of speech must be content-neutral and is limited to time, manner and location. That is simply what is protected by the 1st amendment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:11 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Bob Smizik and the PG are the hypocrites here. They let Smizik rip Madden's cruel comments and off color remarks and question the company he worked for for allowing it. Yet Rogers through his cartoons can has made cruel and off color statments via the same company that employs Smizik.

You just don't get it. Radio and newspapers are two completely different forms of media, with different standards. ESPN must worry about the FCC. Newspapers do not have to worry about the FCC.

Your definition of "off color" seems to me to be unique.

By the way, the Post-Gazette did not fire Madden. ESPN fired Madden after they had already warned him to mend his ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:27 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
You just don't get it. Radio and newspapers are two completely different forms of media, with different standards. ESPN must worry about the FCC. Newspapers do not have to worry about the FCC.

By the way, the Post-Gazette did not fire Madden. ESPN fired Madden after they had already warned him to mend his ways.

I understand the difference. Sure ESPN fired him. It was bound to happen but Smizik had to make it into a big deal with his article. It was Smiziks article which he mentions Maddens "off color" statements.
Madden has ripped the PG and many of their writers. Its no wonder they permit a Cartoon like Rogers. The hypocrisy is not that Madden was fired or the different media standards, its the fact that the PG rips Madden for the mean spirited comments he makes, yet condone Rogers and others who take their shots in a mean spirited way.
I laughed out loud when I saw his cartoon just as I've laughed at Maddens comments.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:18 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I understand the difference. Sure ESPN fired him. It was bound to happen but Smizik had to make it into a big deal with his article. It was Smiziks article which he mentions Maddens "off color" statements.

So you think that ESPN consults with Bob Smizik over its personnel decisions, eh?

Quote:
Madden has ripped the PG and many of their writers.

Of course he does. If Madden isn't ripping somebody he has nothing at all to say.

Quote:
Its no wonder they permit a Cartoon like Rogers.

I guess now that you're saying that the PG hired Rogers to gain revenge on Madden. You're starting to sound like those 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

Quote:
The hypocrisy is not that Madden was fired or the different media standards, its the fact that the PG rips Madden for the mean spirited comments he makes, yet condone Rogers and others who take their shots in a mean spirited way.

That would be because the PG understands something that you don't: the fact that radio talk show hosts and political cartoonists are not subject to the same standards under the law.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:59 am 

No ESPN does not consult with Bob. I do not think the PG hired Rogers for revenge and I understand the diference between a cartoonist and radio show host. You sure like to put words in my mouth dont you?

The hypocrisy is that PG has a guy like Rogers print his nasty and many times hateful cartoons, yet allows a writer rip a guy he does not like who does the very same thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:05 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
No ESPN does not consult with Bob. I do not think the PG hired Rogers for revenge and I understand the diference between a cartoonist and radio show host. You sure like to put words in my mouth dont you?

The hypocrisy is that PG has a guy like Rogers print his nasty and many times hateful cartoons, yet allows a writer rip a guy he does not like who does the very same thing.

I find it hard to believe that these cartoons are nasty and hateful. You're totally mischaracterizing the cartoon above, and you're likely doing the same with Rogers' other works.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:25 am 

Willton wrote:
I find it hard to believe that these cartoons are nasty and hateful. You're totally mischaracterizing the cartoon above, and you're likely doing the same with Rogers' other works.

I read the PG daily. Rogers rips the GOP every chance he gets. Are his cartoons funny? Many times. Nasty & mean spirited..yes. You can say the same thing about Madden.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:18 pm 

Willton wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

I hate to agree with BH, but I think nasty and hateful are two words that generally do describe Rogers' work. I personally enjoy it, even if I often disagree with it (and I am hardly a GOP supporter). The PG is a horribly biased news source, second only to the Trib. God bless the internet (which we all know is never biased :D ).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:05 pm 

BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

I hate to agree with BH, but I think nasty and hateful are two words that generally do describe Rogers' work. I personally enjoy it, even if I often disagree with it (and I am hardly a GOP supporter). The PG is a horribly biased news source, second only to the Trib. God bless the internet (which we all know is never biased :D ).

If you think that the PG is horribly biased I can only conclude that you haven't read many newspapers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:33 pm 

With the incompetency that the GOP has displayed lately, they deserved to be ripped daily. I am a registered independent. The Dems are just less incompetent at this point. Both parties really suck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:50 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
With the incompetency that the GOP has displayed lately, they deserved to be ripped daily. I am a registered independent. The Dems are just less incompetent at this point. Both parties really suck.

Amen to that. The only reason that I register as a Democrat is because I want some say in who the mayor of Pittsburgh is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:02 pm 

Rob Rogers Cartoons are passed by at least one editor maybe more. Yes its his idea but other pepole gave the green light. And I have a feeling with this one it went up pretty far the chain of command at the PG.

Some times Mark Madden's comments were passed along like a kidney stone. Unwanted and a causing a great deal of pain.

I will give you three reactions: A 46 and 15 year old laughed out loud, a 21 year old scoffed and said "wow that was harsh, funny but harsh."