Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mark Madden is suspended...
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

You people are way, way too sensitive. Do any of you, in your honest to God truth, think Kennedy cares? Isn't that what matters? Does it matter what IA Pirate thinks or what any other idiot listener thinks? Grow a pair people. It's getting pathetic that years an years of people working their asses off can take a plunge because of six second of a radio show.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:14 am 

Argentum wrote:
Why do you assume my comment was directed at the government and the 1st Amendment? Maybe, just maybe it was directed at those who think "freedom of speech" is a free pass to say whatever they want?

sisyphus wrote:
If so, then we agree.

We agree. My comment was intentionally vague.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:42 pm 

ESPN has every right to fire Mr. Madden. I for one gave him a month or two when he came on the air. I often found him intriguing and thought provoking. However too many times he came across crass and venomous. He attacked people unnecessarily.

I am personally pleased that he is gone. I do not listen to talk radio much anyway, sport or other wise. I find most of it to uncivil. My guess is for a while they will move people around at the station and an empty spot will be a syndicated show.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:49 pm 

I take the approach that Rush and guys like him are idiots (Madden included) and I dont listen to them because of that...say what they want is fine.
They pump themselves up as being better than the rest of America, yet Rush is nothing but a pill popping celebrity like the rest of them...
And you dont make fun of someone with cancer!!!

I hate them all, and would love to punch each one in the mouth for it...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:48 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
If Madden were fired for those comments, then ESPN could be sued by Madden. What he said was highly offensive, even if said in the context of a joke. However, what he said was not legally obscene, thus it is protected by the 1st Amendment. ESPN can surely fire him, but Madden would have the Bill of Rights on his side in a lawsuit.

Bull -
Don't quit your day job . . . your legal analysis could not be more inaccurate.
The 1st Amendment and the Bill of Rights offer him absolutely zero protection in this instance. At best, Madden would have a contract claim if he had a contract with ESPN and it governed termination. Otherwise, Madden is simply an "at will" employee. Because he was not fired due to his age, race, disability, religion or some other protected class, he has no valid claim for wrongful termination.
Now . . . if the FCC forced ESPN to fire Madden to get him off the air, then ESPN and Madden might have a 1st Amendment claim. That would be the government potentially trying to exercise control over what is broadcast over the airwaves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:25 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
You people are way, way too sensitive. Do any of you, in your honest to God truth, think Kennedy cares? Isn't that what matters? Does it matter what IA Pirate thinks or what any other idiot listener thinks? Grow a pair people. It's getting pathetic that years an years of people working their asses off can take a plunge because of six second of a radio show.

Madden hasn't worked his ass off. He's a gimmick guy the same as Colin Cowherd. I'm glad he's gone and I hope he never comes back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:18 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

Madden hasn't worked his ass off. He's a gimmick guy the same as Colin Cowherd. I'm glad he's gone and I hope he never comes back.

uh oh...your hope may be crushed very soon
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08196/896918-194.stm

and here is an old write up that describes your gimmick guy
you like it you love it you want more of it

http://www.post-gazette.com/magazine/20 ... adden2.asp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:40 am 

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/200 ... 614139.txt