Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mark Madden is suspended...
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:04 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08148/885212-100.stm

Quote:
WTAE-TV is reporting that Mark Madden has been suspended from his 1250 ESPN talk show for comments he made about Sen. Edward Kennedy last week.

The length of the suspension is not known.

Commenting on Kennedy, who was diagnosed with brain cancer last week, Madden said, "I'm very disappointed to hear that Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts is near death because of a brain tumor. I always hoped Senator Kennedy would live long enough to be assassinated."

At orders from the station, he apologized on the air about two hours later. Station general manager Mike Thompson said there would be no punishment for Madden.

Madden did his show on Thursday but has not appeared since his comments were printed in the Post-Gazette on Friday.

What a freakin' A-Hole!!! I dont care who you think you are, rip on someone going through something like that...

I'd love to be in a padded room for 5 minutes with that jerk...I'd kick the living tar out of him...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Mark Madden is suspended...
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:42 pm 

Worst sports talk radio host...ever...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:03 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08148/885212-100.stm

Quote:
WTAE-TV is reporting that Mark Madden has been suspended from his 1250 ESPN talk show for comments he made about Sen. Edward Kennedy last week.

The length of the suspension is not known.

Commenting on Kennedy, who was diagnosed with brain cancer last week, Madden said, "I'm very disappointed to hear that Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts is near death because of a brain tumor. I always hoped Senator Kennedy would live long enough to be assassinated."

At orders from the station, he apologized on the air about two hours later. Station general manager Mike Thompson said there would be no punishment for Madden.

Madden did his show on Thursday but has not appeared since his comments were printed in the Post-Gazette on Friday.

What a freakin' A-Hole!!! I dont care who you think you are, rip on someone going through something like that...

I'd love to be in a padded room for 5 minutes with that jerk...I'd kick the living tar out of him...

I hope they fire his ass.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:17 pm 

Lets see...the guy has great ratings...highest for sports talk in Pgh. For those of you who "hate" him or think they should " fire" him, who would replace him that brings in the revenue? Howard Stern had similar issues. If you dont like him, dont listen.
But thats just it.....people who hate him..still listen. Go figure.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:17 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I agree with Bullish. Why can't people take what people say with a grain of salt? How many sarcastic things have I said today? Probably 250. Nobody would ever hear about the story except for a press release that gives this thing legs. People need to relax in my book.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:19 pm 

Yeah but there's a point where you can go over the line. Was it Rush Limbaugh who said something about Selena after she was murdered? There's too much negativity in this culture.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ollie wrote:
Yeah but there's a point where you can go over the line. Was it Rush Limbaugh who said something about Selena after she was murdered? There's too much negativity in this culture.

I understand, but if you don't want Limbaugh to say those things quit listening. Negativity drives the culture. You don't hear about the war in the Middle East when we go two weeks without someone getting killed but the second a road-side bomb goes off it's reported in the news. I don't let what people say affect my day. If Anderson Cooper said on national TV that it would be great if I died of cancer...who cares? Not me. I guarantee you that Kennedy doesn't give two shits what Madden thinks.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:30 pm 

Most talk radio/tv folks are a$$holes. Is anyone surprised?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:34 pm 
 WWW  Profile

If you have three or four hours to fill you are probably going to offend people in some sort of way. You have to be opinionated to hold that job and be successful.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:49 pm 

He was fired today. By the ESPN home office.

He thought he was untouchable. He wasn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:02 pm 

Maybe now Smizik can write something thought-provoking and worthwhile with his personal vendette against Madden all but complete. ESPN 1250 is going to have a rough time finding a suitable replacement for the ratings Madden received in the 3-7 pm slot.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:05 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
He was fired today. By the ESPN home office.

Located in Bristol Connecticut, a scant 100 miles from Boston Mass. Madden has said worse, but apparently he finally pissed off the wrong people.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:12 pm 

Eric Bowser wrote:
Maybe now Smizik can write something thought-provoking and worthwhile with his personal vendette against Madden all but complete. ESPN 1250 is going to have a rough time finding a suitable replacement for the ratings Madden received in the 3-7 pm slot.

Anybody but Colony. I know.............

"The Smizik and Collier Show", all negativity, all of the time!

ImageImage

Maybe they can find a spot for Dee Thompson?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:51 am 

Madden is trashy but entertaining, but Kennedy is a sacred cow that he should have known not to mess with.

It's kind of interesting that Smizik got Madden fired.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:53 am 

Eric Bowser wrote:
Maybe now Smizik can write something thought-provoking and worthwhile

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. It wasn't his vendetta against Madden that was holding him back so much as he is just an extremely poor writer who lacks any insight into his subject.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:30 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Madden is trashy but entertaining, but Kennedy is a sacred cow that he should have known not to mess with.

It's kind of interesting that Smizik got Madden fired.

A media soap opera. Madden ripped Smizik all the time. I'm sure Smizik was just waiting for the chance to do what he did. It was not untill after Smizik's media article about how the station manager seemed to tolerate what Madden said that any action was taken

Madden may be out in Pgh. 104.7, 105.9, 102.5 and 970AM are all Clear Channel owned. The Steelers have a big influence and only if Madden was toned down(doubt he'd do that)would they offer him a spot. KDKA dumped sports talk except for weekends. Unless a non clearchannel station wants to add a shock jock sports talk show as part of their programming, Madden may be history in Pgh.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:45 am 

regardless of his popularity, the guy was a disgrace to the city of Pittsburgh. We of this town have much more class than that. When you think of sportswriters and broadcasters, you think of classy guys like Cope, Lanny, Prince, Flemming, etc. I would like ESPN to hire a classy guy that would represent the climate and attitude of the people of the city of Pittsburgh. Madden was an embarrasment. If his fans are the type of people who represent the "youth of Pittsburgh," then I am dismayed, because I was taught a whole lot better than that.

PF13

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:50 am 

Maybe this guy IS the climate and attitude of the town. His ratings would indicate that.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:58 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
regardless of his popularity, the guy was a disgrace to the city of Pittsburgh. We of this town have much more class than that. When you think of sportswriters and broadcasters, you think of classy guys like Cope, Lanny, Prince, Flemming, etc. I would like ESPN to hire a classy guy that would represent the climate and attitude of the people of the city of Pittsburgh. Madden was an embarrasment. If his fans are the type of people who represent the "youth of Pittsburgh," then I am dismayed, because I was taught a whole lot better than that.

PF13

I think it is much simpler than that...people love a trainwreck. Madden was a trainwreck.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:15 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Maybe this guy IS the climate and attitude of the town. His ratings would indicate that.

And Howard Stern the climate and attitude of the country?
There has been a lack of respect climate in general for the last 15-20 years. The line of free speech seems to keep being lowered and lowered. I'm not sure where the line needs to be. All I know is when a kid pops off, you better think twice about what you say or do. I've seen too many cases where a kid can be a be a complete jerk and if you say or do something as an adult, you're the one in trouble.