Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wow...Earth's population...
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:24 am 
 WWW  Profile

Earth's population got a bit lighter this past week in a big way. The Cyclone has taken nearly 125,000 in Myanmar and the earthquake in China nearly 50,000. That's insane.

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

Post subject: Re: Wow...Earth's population...
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:34 am 

Still only about 0.03% of the world population, but yes, its insane.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 am 

I was surprised by the enormity of the earthquake itself. From what I understand, the earthquake extended a distance that would be equal to the distance from Maine to Arkansas.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:21 pm 

It seems every other a year a major cyclone takes the lives of thousands in the Bay of Bengal.
Is deforestation the cause of this? So many of these deaths could be prevented if we lived in a compassionate world.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ollie wrote:
So many of these deaths could be prevented if we lived in a compassionate world.

Are you serious? I am so sick of the whole "going green" push right now that I'm doing my best to leave the light on and use plastic instead of paper at the grocery store.

ABC

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:39 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Ollie wrote:
So many of these deaths could be prevented if we lived in a compassionate world.

Are you serious? I am so sick of the whole "going green" push right now that I'm doing my best to leave the light on and use plastic instead of paper at the grocery store.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's another tip: flush the toilet twice after every use. Or, just flush it every time you walk past the bathroom.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:08 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Ollie wrote:

You're right, IA. I say that when we destroy this world, we just go out and get a new one. I hear they are on sale at Walmart.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:00 am 

Willton wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
Ollie wrote:

You're right, IA. I say that when we destroy this world, we just go out and get a new one. I hear they are on sale at Walmart.

I like a little hyperbole with my coffee every morning.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:31 am 
 WWW  Profile

Willton wrote:

I actually just checked and they are fresh out. I'll try the Super Target this afternoon...

ABC

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:28 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Earth's population got a bit lighter this past week in a big way. The Cyclone has taken nearly 125,000 in Myanmar and the earthquake in China nearly 50,000. That's insane.

If you notice, earthquakes in heavily populated but less-developed countries (China, Turkey, Iran, Mexico) produce huge casualty numbers because the buildings usually are flimsy and collapse easily. Anyone inside at the time probably is toast.

Those countries usually also have repressive -- or at least corrupt -- governments that care little about the welfare of their people. So the response is slow and inadequate, and a lot of people die before help arrives. Consider China, for instance. It's the most heavily populated nation on earth. Subtract a few tens of thousands of people and . . . you suddenly have fewer mouths to feed. Cynical? Yes. But from their point of view also pragmatic.

The US and Japan are vulnerable to earthquakes, too. But they're enlightened enough to reinforce buildings and bridges so they can withstand the shock. They also have learned to build away from fault lines and have civil defense resources in place to respond quickly, so the casualties are minimal.

As for the cyclone, take a look at a map of the northern Indian Ocean. It pretty much looks like a funnel at the land mass that is eastern India, Bangladesh, and Burma (Myanmar). The sea floor also is shallow there. So any tidal surge is going to build up tremendous energy by the time it makes landfall. And the coasts are the most densely populated parts of the country because that's where the most fertile soil is, washed down to the river deltas from the Himalayan mountains when the snows melt. Add the fact that Burma is a military dictatorship that represses its people and you have the proverbial perfect storm for the type of tragedy that's occurring there. Did you know that the government saw this coming? It's true; the generals have built a new capital, Naypyidaw, almost 300 miles north of the old one, Rangoon (Yangon), where they are high and dry. They also were warned two days ahead by India's meteorological service that this was going to be an extremely powerful cyclone and apparently did nothing to alert the people living along the coast.