Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:04 am 

It was 12 years ago today. The day that all of us will remember forever. We will remember exactly where we were, who we were with, and what we were doing when we heard of the first plane crash, thinking some horrible major accident had occurred...Then we heard about the the second, then the third. America was under attack. Nobody knew what might get hit next.

I remember my parents talking about the same type of thing when they heard Kennedy was assassinated and the attack on Pearl Harbor. It was the same with me when I heard the Challenger had exploded. I remember I was driving off the Hill at Seton Hill, heading back to Saint Vincent after finishing up a class.

All of our lives changed forever that day. Innocence was lost. Those of us who had kids had to painstakingly explain to them what was going on, which was difficult, because to be honest, we didn't have a clue ourselves!

Personally, for some of us in law enforcement, fire rescue, EMSs, etc, it was much different than the rest of the world, especially with Flight 93 hitting so close. I was told, along with the rest of my PSP brothers and sisters, to pack a bag, say my goodbyes to my family, and be ready to head to Shanksville for only God knows how long. Nobody knew what our task would be. Would we be digging for bodies? Would we be gathering evidence? Would we be standing guard? Nobody knew for sure who was going, when they were going, what our task would be, or when we might get the chance to see our families again. In the end, we did ALL those things. I had my wife grab the kids at the middle school and elementary school and bring them home. She spent the next couple months like a single mother as we were forced to work 12 and 16 hour days, shorthanded as half of our complement was at Shanksville.

Life as we knew it would never be the same. There were a few good things to come out of it all. Patriotism tops the list. People in all walks of life started to appreciate America as we should have before. Red, white, and blue could be seen everywhere. Patriotic songs were heard continuously. New songs were written. Americans began to take on an "us against them" mentality, and THEY were NOT going to win! They could not keep us down! People finally started to appreciate the firemen, the EMTs, the police, those that worked every day before and every day since to keep them safe. I had a sense of pride at that time, as people would routinely thank us for our service, pick up our checks at lunch, or simply smile and wave to acknowledge us.

As you go about your business today, take a moment to reflect on it all. Think of how lucky you are to have survived it. Pray for those who did not, and their families. Think of all the heroes on Flight 93 who may have saved thousands of lives with their efforts. Think of the people who rebuilt New York. Think of all those first responders who risked their own lives to help others. Think of anyone and everyone who did something.....anything, to help America recover. Think of all the military personnel then, and ever since then who risk their lives to keep us free.

And let's pray we never have to endure another incident like this for the rest of our lives, nor our children's lives, our grandchildren, and so an and so on.

God Bless America!

Post subject: Re: Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 pm 

I had just arrived at school and we were told. Crazy time...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:44 pm 

I remember that it was a Tuesday morning, because I was a junior in college and didn't have any Tuesday morning classes. From that, you can deduce how I chose to spend my Monday evenings (hint- not at the library). So, I was sleeping it off when the phone woke me up. It was my then girlfriend (who now has the distinct displeasure of being my wife) calling to tell me there was a plane crash into a skyscraper in NYC. Not living in NYC, and not quite feeling as if I was ready to be awake just then, I told her I didn't care and hung up. I then buried my head in my pillow. A few minutes later, phone rings again. And again. And again. (Should have been a warning that she would be the nagging type...). I finally answer it after her 5 billionth call and she says another plane crashed into the pentagon and another plane crashed in NYC, and buildings fell and there was a plane crash south of Pittsburgh. Ok, so maybe I should wake up.

I hang up the phone and turn on CNN. When I see the replays, I get up and open my dorm room door to see if anyone else is around watching it. As it turns out, the only person on my floor was the morbidly obese, 65 year old with a bad case of gout and two-pack-a-day habit housekeeper. So, her and I spent the next hour watching replays. I didn't know what to say, mainly because I couldn't speak Spanish so she wouldn't understand anyways.

By the time I got a shower and got ready for my afternoon classes, Tom Ridge was already appointed the director of homeland security (seriously, how did they create an entire new government department in 3 hours) and NSA was already reading my emails.

On a more serious note, one of my best friends and roommates was a Palestinian guy from Ramallah. At first, there were rumors that the PLO was claiming responsibility. Being that we were living in rural Portage county, Ohio, he was sincerely fearing for his life. He adorned his car with American flags, hoping they would provide some safety. Me, being the sensitive type, waited for him to leave and then hung his Palestinian flag in his window. Nothing ever went wrong when you taunt angry rednecks, right???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 pm 

Animal wrote:
All of our lives changed forever that day. Innocence was lost. Those of us who had kids had to painstakingly explain to them what was going on, which was difficult, because to be honest, we didn't have a clue ourselves!

God Bless America!

I guess I'm unsentimental or uncaring or unaffected. See, I had no idea whatsoever what you were talking about with your subject title. The world most definitely did not stop turning. And while a tragedy, my biggest thought after the fact was (1) I'm glad that the terrorists didn't go for the Statue of Liberty. I mean, who cares about the twin towers in any concrete sense. And (2) We were really really really lucky. How in the world, when both the towers came down, did we only lose 4000 people? There are a lot of people who worked in the Towers, more people than in my entire county. I'm grateful and surprised that we did so well, actually.

But, I lived through the Cold War, I did hide under the desk drills in elementary school. My kids were 3 and 6 at the time. I didn't explain anything to them, but then we don't watch TV, so even if they had been any older, I wouldn't have spent much time explaining it either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:20 pm 

I was in college and was on the balcony of my dorm and watched the Shanksville plane fly overhead...I assumed it was making an emergency landing at the local airport. Then about 10 minutes later the news came about the crash.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:18 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I was in college and was on the balcony of my dorm and watched the Shanksville plane fly overhead...I assumed it was making an emergency landing at the local airport. Then about 10 minutes later the news came about the crash.

What school?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:42 am 

I was in my classroom with 30 juniors when our small TV in the upper corner came on after the first plane had crashed and confusion rang everywhere. Watched all day with each new class of kids coming in. Was very careful with what I said because I knew that they would be very worried about their world (who wasn't?). Amazing to see the reaction of kids during that mess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:19 pm 

Animal wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

What school?

The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...