Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New York quietly implements healthcare rationing ...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:43 pm 

Wow, what a shock. Who could have seen this coming with all the free medical care promised by Obamacare??

• Annual/lifetime dollar limits – quantitative limits will be substituted when further federal guidance is available.

http://hcfany.org/

The gutless bureaucrats who ran the healthcare system in the great state of New York try to hide this little pearl in their announcement. "Quantitative limits" mean a limit on the number of doctor's visits.

Dictionary.com defines "ration" as "an allotted amount" - you know, as in the number of allowable doctor's visits.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Rationing

Geez, I wish SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, could have foreseen that the Obamacare mandate for health insurance would lead to rationing due to shortage of medical providers and as an artificial way to try and reduce cost.

What next, the program is going to cost more than projected? Naaah, couldn't happen now that the penalty is in place and rationing is already quietly becoming part of our medical insurance ....

New Analysis Reveals Obamacare Will Cost More Than Expected

http://blog.heritage.org/2011/04/06/new ... -expected/

CBO to employers: Obamacare has $4B more in taxes than expected

http://washingtonexaminer.com/cbo-to-em ... le/2503013

During his first run for president, Barack Obama made one very specific promise to voters: He would cut health insurance premiums for families by $2,500, and do so in his first term.

But it turns out that family premiums have increased by more than $3,000 since Obama's vow, according to the latest annual Kaiser Family Foundation employee health benefits survey.

http://news.investors.com/092412-626848 ... z28fUoeth9

The perfect storm of government efficiency, increasing costs, and rationing. I feel soooooo effing good about Obamacare now that I see the TREMENDOUS benefits!!

Post subject: Re: New York quietly implements healthcare rationing ...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:39 am 

Let's do away with it and all will be good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 am 

Last I checked with my private insurer, they will not cover doctor's visits on a "willy nilly" basis. In other words, if I want a check-up, I can't get one every month and expect for them to pay for it. Concerns about a heart condition? I can't go get a doppler echo exam whenever I want and expect them to pay for it. They will pay for what is provided under the insurance contract. Is that "rationing?" No . . in theory I'm free to try to get an appointment but I'd be expected to pay for services out of pocket and good luck in trying to get a doctor to take me on as a patient without the coverage.

Listen, I get the Obamacare hatred. I truly do. I get that, as a candidate, Obama campaigned on a number of issues, including lowering insurance rates. But . . . to be fair . . . was he able to implement what he wanted? No. Why? Congressional opposition. So . . . it is somewhat erroneous to blame him alone. Our Congress is to blame just as well.

And . . . for what its worth, I'm lucky to have a spouse who can get insurance coverage for me and the rest of my family under an employer sponsored group plan. When I last was covered as an employee in 2009, my law firm was looking at 15-23% yearly increases in the previous 5 years (2004 to 2009). That was with private insurance and no Obamacare.

I won't represent that I am an expert on these issues - not even close - but I have no love for private insurers (nor do I have love for governmental programs) and based upon what I've seen over the years, the private insurance program is far from a panacea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:57 am 

So let's do the Mitt thing and let the states handle health care. Does anyone think that is a way to solve this mess? Talk about rationing in some or many states.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:07 pm 

Abuse of Power: The IPAB (Independent Payment Advisory Board), section 3403 of the PPACA/Obamacare bill, describes how fifteen unelected individuals will be appointed by the President (or, in his/her absence, the Secretary of HHS) to essentially and bluntly ‘ration’ medical care. Furthermore, section 10320 of the bill speaks to “expanded powers” of the IPAB, wherein such things as gas, food, eating habits, and the type of car you drive will be scrutinized and analyzed to assess additional penalties and fees.

Lastly, and perhaps most damning, will be the RACs (Recovery Audit Contractor program) wherein private contractors will be paid a percentage of the ‘take’ to find and take away money from providers for ‘errors’ in medical billing and charting. Even if a minor infraction is inadvertently committed, the RAC program will be authorized to assess penalties on top of a complete refund (from doctor to Uncle Sam) for the services/treatment, even if the difference in the ‘correct’ billing amount and the ‘actual reimbursed amount’ is minimal. This is just unfair. RAC auditors will be incentivized by the Feds to harass doctors.

Obamacare assesses 18 new taxes and penalties for a total of $836 billion in additional fees to consumers through the year 2022. Note that 70% of those paying the Obamacare individual mandate tax will actually earn less than the 400% FPL (Federal Poverty Level) and 10% of those paying the individual mandate will be below the poverty line.

Cuts to Medicare from 2013 through 2022 will total 716 billion. These are comprised of a $269 billion cut to hospital services, $156 billion in cuts to Medicare Advantage programs, $145 billion to DHS payments and other Medicare provisions, $66 billion to home health services, $39 billion in cuts to ‘other services’, and $17 billion to hospice services.

Beginning in 2014, there will be $106 billion in new costs to employer-mandated coverage; $102 billion in annual fees on health insurance providers, $55 billion in the actual individual mandate to buy health insurance; and in 2018 an additional $111 billion in excise taxes for ‘Cadillac’ employer health plans. From 2013 to 2022, 13 other taxes will add an additional $144 billion in taxes to consumers.

In February of 2011, an article in the Annals of Internal Medicine showed that the ’97 Medicare cuts actually increased hospital deaths by 8% due to nursing shortages. In a report by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Robert Samuelson wrote “if universal coverage makes appointments harder to get, emergency room use may increase.”

Using statistics from August 2012, we see that the U.S. collected $2.28 trillion in the name of fighting poverty. Divide this by the 46.2 million people estimated to be below the poverty line and we get $50,000/poor person. Could, perhaps, we have simply devised a system to help the poor instead of actually recreating this Obamacare health care ‘reform’ monstrosity? Many would argue that $50,000/person spread out even over several years could provide a lot of coverage for any patient.

Those on the political left say that it’s all about ‘helping the severely poor’ and ‘providing universal access’, but let’s remember that we can help the poor without recreating our health system in over 150,000 pages of new regulations; and we can understand, again, that ‘universal insurance’ does not mean universal access.

Proponents of Obamacare want to point to the ‘pre-existing’ condition clause, but that is not an accurate ‘benefit’ accolade because 37 out of 50 states already have a pre-existing condition exclusion prevention clause; furthermore, this benefit can be ‘mandated’ without an entirely new health system. Many will also point to the “age 26” benefit of Obamacare that allows children to stay on their family plans until the age of twenty-six. But a reality check will show that military families under Tricare already do not have these extra three years for their kids unless they pay an additional $200/month for the child for each year until age 26. This ‘pay to play’ provision for the military can also work in the civilian population. If we want it, we can choose to pay for it.

Americans can do better than allowing more government intrusion into their lives. At some point, the authority granted over to others in positions of power will result in not only waste, inefficiency, and a ‘government first-patient second’ mentality, but it will yield to unadulterated abuses of power.

Future articles by this author will detail personal assaults and harassment for simply speaking out against the current power structure in America. The First Amendment Right to ‘free speech’ is more of a myth than most of us would like to believe. In school we are taught that ‘power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely’. Imagine a scenario wherein not only your personal and political beliefs are scrutinized by government authority figures, but also the very healthcare choices of your loved ones are at risk. This is the Obamacare nightmare.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/ ... use-power/

Oh, and also the Federal government has no constitutional authority to order me to buy anything.

Other than that, the law is a great idea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:06 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Oh, and also the Federal government has no constitutional authority to order me to buy anything.

No, but they do have the power to encourage certain behaviors through the Tax and Spending Clause. The Supreme Court has already discussed this issue regarding Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 pm 

Willton wrote:
No, but they do have the power to encourage certain behaviors through the Tax and Spending Clause. The Supreme Court has already discussed this issue regarding Obamacare.

Credibility is the Supreme Court's greatest weapon. We follow the Supreme Court's decisions because the Court is a credible and reliable arbiter of the power of the government and the restrictions on what the government can do to us, or make us do.

The Supreme Court weakens its credibility by finding a basis for imposing $2,500 penalties on citizens who do not have health insurance under the "tax and spend" provision of the Constitution.

The "fine" is treated as a penalty, which is an ersatz tax. However, if the Federal government has the power to "fine" citizens for not buying a product, under an expansive reading of the "tax and spend" power, then there is simply no limit on Federal power to mandate purchases - NONE.

The same is true of the expansive reading of the commerce power in the 1960's. Eventually, it has come to be that the Federal government has unlimited power to regulate commerce.

The combination of unlimited power to regulate commerce and an expansive reading of the tax power to include a mandate that citizens purchase a good or service means, basically, that there is literally no limit on Federal government authority over our economic affairs.

None. In fact, I challenge you to name ONE.

That is completely antithetical to the Federal government being a government of limited powers, to the 10th amendment, and to the concept of the national government as set forth in the language of the Constitution.

So if the Federal government is free to ignore the rule book, why am I compelled to follow that same rule book? If your explanation is that the Federal government owns the police, guns and jails, then perhaps you should consider if that is what you want our government to be.

Every two-bit dictator derives power at the end of a gun. I hope for more from the United States central government, and have no desire to be governed solely by threat of harm, rather than by an agreement for mutual benefit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 am 

Bucfan, It looks like your position which is well thought out and discussed is overly concerned with the poor and the very sick being rationed out.

There is but one better solution to eliminate all this business and that is one that I think you oppose even more. That my friend is a single payer system that works muck better then our system for the rest of the world. i.e. better results for less money.

The system has reached it's breaking point and needs totally reformed. To just do away with this law and not replace it with something better, is unacceptable to any logical person and you clearly are one. To just return to the existing situation puts us right back into the ever escalating and surely self-defeating system where fewer and fewer people will get insurance from their employers and at higher and higher deductables and co-pays. I don't know your finances and don't care but mine and my families cannot continue to exist anywhere the same standard of living if we go back. What you seem to propose is even futher distruction of the middle class. If your argument is to keep the most popular parts of the reform, then of course, you need to find a way to pay for it or increase the debt. GOTTA GO