Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP - Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 pm 

Britain's best peacetime Prime Minister of the 20th century has passed away.
She was responsible for saving the country in the late 70s, early 80s. You guys over there will not (even if you are old enough) know just what a terrible state we were in in the 70s. We were known as 'The Sick Old Man of Europe' and had virtually been written off. She tackled the problems head-on so that we regained our place at the top table.
A great lady and sadly missed.

Post subject: Re: RIP - Margaret Thatcher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 am 

Her death is being celebrated in Argentina. She and Reagan supported dictators who crushed democracy at every chance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:18 am 

I haven't seen celebrations for the death of a PM/President, who wasn't a dictator, like the ones we're seeing for Thatcher's death. "Ding Dong, the Wicked Witch is Dead", from the Wizard of Oz, is going to be the best selling single in England by week's end. The vitriol's simply amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 am 

One of my favorite quotes from her - from 1987, awfully applicable to the US today -

"I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand "I have a problem, it is the Government's job to cope with it!" or "I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!" "I am homeless, the Government must house me!" and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:13 pm 

Although I would never celebrate the death of anyone, I have no sympathy for such a vile human and have no issue with her dismal, repugnant legacy and the way it destroyed millions of lives being exploited in the face of the typical, media jaded praise-worthy memoriam.

Thatcher prided herself in being the figurehead of what were basically 80s conservative politics, helped by the Labour Party in the most absurd hyper-partisan ways, who's policies laid groundworks for the government being able to systematically demonize the disabled, poor and minorities and making open political discourse largely obsolete. The overwriting legacy is massive unemployment (3.6 million, 3x higher than previous government and including highest percentage of middle class workforce) and destroyed hope for the working class. Look at today's banking and housing crisis -- millions were unemployed in industries such as manufacturing due to the way the British government failed to register such under unemployment because the Britain that was inherited was boosting stellar employment statistics. That including the rampant unemployment (and homelessness) for young people. Doubling crime rates as a result. Depressingly, a lot of the cliches are absolutely on the mark and extraordinarily telling of the more abroad picture (the abolishment of free milk for school children, directly closing the coalmines as it is now imported due to lack of energy resources, i.e. coal, that needs to be imported, the poll tax).

I have absolutely no sympathy for the "as a figure ____ were divisive, but you can't deny the impact or legacy!" plight. Good riddance.