Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Little League World Series
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:32 pm 

So the Little League World Series is being shown on the TV in my workplace's cafeteria.

Is there anyone else out there who thinks that putting 11- and 12-year-olds playing baseball on worldwide TV is perverse and potentially psychologically damaging? I feel crummy when I screw up in a beer league softball game. I'd feel worse if the entire world saw me do it. And, to paraphrase that goofball college football coach, "I'm a man! I'm 42!" My preadolescent self would be devastated.

And if you succeed ... Well, at that age, I probably would have acted like an insufferable douchebag afterwards. Not every kid would react that same way, but probably a lot of them would.

So, am I a crank for thinking this way? Or does anyone else agree?

Post subject: Re: Little League World Series
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 am 

No. Yes.

Across all sports, across countries, we are focusing on younger and younger players. A kid in the neighboring town has recruited for several Div I college football teams since he was 14. Two different high schools "recruited" him for two years before that.

The LLWS is just the tip of the iceberg.

Post subject: Re: Little League World Series
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:25 am 

Judge Landis wrote:
So the Little League World Series is being shown on the TV in my workplace's cafeteria.

Is there anyone else out there who thinks that putting 11- and 12-year-olds playing baseball on worldwide TV is perverse and potentially psychologically damaging? I feel crummy when I screw up in a beer league softball game. I'd feel worse if the entire world saw me do it. And, to paraphrase that goofball college football coach, "I'm a man! I'm 42!" My preadolescent self would be devastated.

And if you succeed ... Well, at that age, I probably would have acted like an insufferable douchebag afterwards. Not every kid would react that same way, but probably a lot of them would.

So, am I a crank for thinking this way? Or does anyone else agree?

Yes you are a crank, it is tremendous fun to watch these kids play and the crowds there don't get on players who screw up. Its also a huge event for the kids themselves. I was talking to a player on the Tennessee team who stopped by PNC park with his dad Wednesday. They don't have the hangups that adults have about making mistakes. He was extremely excited.