Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Olympics
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 am 

We are a week into it and not a peep over here.....so......

Is anyone watching?
If not, why?

My thoughts.....

It really is tough now to not hear results before prime time coverage. The time difference makes it almost impossible to watch live. MRs. AZBF and I have watched a lot of live stuff on the computer at 630 and 7 am, but beyond that, due to work, watching live is impossible.

I have always been a big fan of the Olympic games. Love the track and field. Women's volleyball. Boxing. Swimming. Water polo.

We also have a natural bend towards the diving events.

I have no problem with the elimination of baseball and softball. IMHO, they are not world wide sports. Of course the same thing could be said for some other events such as equestrian. Somehow I don't think the Chinese equestrian team will threaten for a medal anytime soon. But you never know....

I have a hard time with all the fuss over gymnastics. I can watch it for a while. Too much drama for my tastes...

I like the good stories that always seem to surface during the games. Especially stories of unlikely success or a return to form by some athlete.

Just wondering'........ 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post subject: Re: Olympics
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:22 am 

Agree on almost all points, AZ. (Except for the water polo part.) Besides the time difference, doesn't the fact that so many of us are wrapped up in the Pirates' season help make our interest in the Olympics less instense than it might otherwise be?

Having said that, now that the US team has done so well in the pool, it cannot win enough track/field medals to suit me. I want dominance!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:27 am 

NBC's coverage of the Olympics is terrible!

Without cable (and many of us poor Americans don't have cable) Americans can't watch our national basketball teams. That's ridiculous! We can't see any of the matches of a
very good U.S. women's soccer team. (The networks don't want little girls to see these strong women as role models!) We can't see judo, archery, badminten, table tennis, etc..

Because events are not shown live we usually only see American athletes.. and foreign athletes only if they win gold. And the "drama" of the gymnastics.. it's completely
manufactured.. all started when the media realized they could manipulate events as they unfold. Kerri Strug's heroic one legged landing? If I recall correctly her vault was
not timed in the order NBC portrayed it. John Tesh caught some flack for his overdramatization.

In swimming you can pretty much predict who will win based on who they show at the beginning. I was shocked when they showed the sixteen year old Chinese swimmer.
I said to myself.. she's gonna beat the world record holder? Sure enough. And afterward coaches of the other teams are saying she took stimulants. Is anyone saying this
about our fifteen year-old new record holder? (That's a topic for another discussion. lol)

Did you notice how we were only shown Russia's mistakes in women's gymnastics? We saw very little of China. They're usually so good in women's gymnastics. Why did they not
medal? No explanation ever given. We weren't allowed to see them.

Some of my Korean pals were very upset that baseball and softball were eliminated. Beach volleyball is considered one of the prestigeous sports though. >_<

Anyway I've been watching the soccer online. Saw two very good games yesterday. Korea beat Team G.B. in penalty kicks and Mexico outlasted Senegal in extra time.
Both were riveting games. In the evening I went on my walk (I walk eight miles every night!!) and south Asian boys were playing on the big soccer field in the metropark..
more than twenty of them. On Sundays African men play there.. 20-30 guys show up. It's the world's game, but Americans don't want to believe the world exists. lol

I will be watching Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Justin Gatlin.. don't forget, guys.. 4:45 p.m. for the 100 meter final. And it may just be more exciting than Kerri Walsh's ass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:16 pm 

Ollie wrote:
Americans can't watch our national basketball teams.

You are not missing much although the Lithuanians gave them a scare. I will watch olympic hoops again when they are not spoiled NBA guys staying at $3K a night hotels outside of the olympic village....can't speak for the women's team...not interested...JMHO

Ollie wrote:
(I walk eight miles every night!!)

Impressive 8-) 8-) 8-)

JUst about any event can be viewed on the NBC sports olympic link..... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:07 pm 

I don't have the $25-30 to pay for that link. It's not free.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:06 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The Olympics are getting record ratings despite the terrible coverage by NBC. How in all holy hell was the 100 meter final not on live?!?!?!?!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:14 pm 

My brother-in-law in the Philippines watched it live on TV. I learned the winner from him. Why didn't I expect this? It's just a matter of time until the NFL is pay per view.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:33 pm 

Sorry Ollie...I stand corrected...Mrs. AZBF just informed me that you must have a cable or satellite provider to access the live site...my bad... :( :( :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:47 pm 

This U.S. - Canada semifinal (women's soccer) has been an amazing game.. tied 3-3, going into extra time.
But because they're not wearing bikinis NBC won't air it.

Every girl is playing her guts out. Canadian striker has three goals.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 am 

Well, due to the fact that I tore my achilles tendon 10 days ago...I've been watching a lot of the Olympics. Like most everyone else, I hate the tape delay. I'm looking forward to Rio, when we should be able to see most of the events live or pretty darn close to live. I've really enjoyed Swimming, Gymnastics (which is not usual for me) and Beach Volleyball. I am excited for Track and Field.

I could care less about Basketball, which isn't shocking since I don't like the NBA and only watch March Madness.

I am sad that baseball isn't part of the Olympics. To say it isn't a world sport is a bit short sided, in my opinion. While the sport is predominantly played in North and South America, there is a large asian following (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan). Australia has been an emerging market for baseball as well. We've also seen countries such as the Netherlands, South Africa (not just Gift Ngoepe) and even the Ukraine experience more baseball events. In fact, I would be willing to bet more countries play Baseball than Water Polo...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:39 am 

Baseball is played in every country in Europe.
Britain qualified for the Beijing Olympics but, thanks to some fiscal impropriety, did not have the funds to send the team. Germany went in our place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:00 pm 

I've been sitting here wondering why NBC isn't showing us the women's volleyball gold medal game. It just dawned on me.. we must have lost. Sure enough.. just looked it up,
Brazil beat the U.S. three games to one. Had the U.S. won gold we'd be watching all two hours of the match. Does NBC suck or what?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:18 pm 

Another question: Has the US lost its dominance in the sprints (men's, at least) to Jamaica for good? As terrific as he is, it's painful to watch that preening egomaniac Usain Bolt win everything that isn't nailed down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:59 pm 

He is an outlier..just a freak of nature that comes along once in a while... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:36 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He is an outlier..just a freak of nature that comes along once in a while... 8-) 8-)

Generally, 6'5" people don't run that fast in sprints, it usually takes longer to get it going. Carl Lewis was 6'3" another freak of nature.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 am 

I got this off FB, so I cannot vouch for its authenticity, but awfully funny if true:

Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators
during the Summer Olympics that they would like to take back:

1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria . I saw
her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

2. Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak
from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially
my mother and father."

4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries, and even some
deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious."

5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we
can expect the same thing again."

6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't
like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife
of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew."

8. Soccer commentator: "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like
they've got eleven Dicks on the field."

9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is
that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them...

#2 is my fave, though #5 sounds like an authentic Yogism...

:oops: :oops: :oops: Do three oops make up for not having the facepalm smiley?

Softball wasn't even in the Olympics this year, was it?