Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10692
Feel free to tell my how great the sport is, how well-conditioned the athletes are, blah, blah, but I do not like professional soccer. Here are the top 10 reasons why:

    1. The lack of scoring. I like a well-played defensive game, just like the next guy, but good heavens, ENOUGH with the nil-nil crap. Not every game should be Verlander vs. Hamels. Take that back ... Verlander vs. Hamels will eventually see at least some scoring.

    2. The offsides rule. Who the hell cares if a team wants to run the risk of having guys go on the offensive and blow past defenders? Really, shouldn't that be, oh, I don't know, REWARDED???

    3. The annoying lack of scoring may be due in large part to the inexplicable refusal by players TO TAKE A DAMN SHOT. Seriously, 3 passes in a phone-booth size area right in front of the goal, BUT NOT ONE DAMN SHOT?!?! What gives??? Shoot the effing thing. The saying in hockey, "Any shot on goal is a good shot." Which leads to the next issue ...

    4. Why in hell do shots (rare as they are) miss the barn-size goal by 20 feet? Jesus, these idiots spend eons finally getting into position for a shot, and theeeeen ... "Oh, over the goal by a mile. Again. And again."

    5. The cards. Yellow, red, blue, rainbow, what is that? Grow up already. Which leads to ...

    6. No replacement player for the red carded guy? Ejection is not punishment enough? No other sport involves losing a player upon his ejection without allowing a replacement. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. The stupid card thing may explain ...

    7. The whining and gesturing to the referee DURING LIVE ACTION. Every game, numerous times, a guy will lay on the ground and gesture and put on a show to the referee, which never works SINCE THE DARN GAME IS STILL ON AND THE BALL IS NOWHERE NEAR THAT SPOT ANY MORE.

    8. The clock. The game is 90 minutes ... well, with the added time. How much added time? Nobody knows, since if action is rolling, hey, more time, right? I guess even the referee is so stunned that something is happening that he loses track of the clock. 3 minutes "stoppage?" Oh, I meant 3:20. Or 3:40. Or 4. Or whatever the hell I decide.

    9.. The endless diving, rolling, moaning, twisting and faking. Why?? Trying to get the stupid red card. Allow replacements, and that stupid play acting slows down or stops. This is such a joke and such a large part of the sport that ESPN made fun of the rolling on the ground.

    10. The dumbest part of the sport - the shoot-out. Hockey recognizes how dumb a shoot-out is by replacing it in the playoffs. Seriously, a game decided by this dumb


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
So, what are your thoughts on mixed martial arts?

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
For the most part you hit on all the major beefs I have with it as well, except one, ESPN cramming it down our throats like we should care who wins the Euro Cup.

#9 and #10 are the primary reasons I stay away despite years of working with Europeans and South Americans who have dragged me to many, many match watching parties.

The penalty kicks make zero sense in championship play, let'em play until they score just like hockey.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1504
Bucfan, why do you feel the need to deride the beautiful game? :)

Seriously, more than 95% of the members of this board will agree with everything you say. But me.. I love soccer!! Love it! I agree with some of your points though.
Let's look at your complaints. lol

1. Lack of scoring. I like that one goal is so important. There is an urgency to equalize and this is unique to soccer. I still love me some Detroit Lions but I've grown
tired of high scoring football (pointyball) games. And I love Calvin Johnson, but I never wanted to reach the playoffs winning 48-40 every other week.

In baseball defenses regularly concede a run on ground balls.. no lead is insurmountable in an era where starting pitchers can't remain past 2/3 of the game (pitch count crap..
oh no.. 100 pitches.. that's three digits!! He must be removed now!!) The possibility of a 0-0 Verlander-Hamels game after 8 or 9 innings is almost zero. Robot managers will
have used a pinch hitter in the 7th inning. Just imagine if quarterbacks must be removed after throwing forty or fifty passes to be removed for a closer.

2. The offside rule (not offsides.) I'm pretty sure that soccer evolved from rugby, a sport which does not allow forward passes. The rule was implemented in the 1800s.
Yes, maybe an offside rule similar to that of ice hockey would be better, but eliminating the offside rule entirely would ruin the game. The majority of players would be hanging
around the goals, nobody would be in the midfield.. the whole game would be long punts back and forth. (Yeah, hockey players park in front of the net and jab away for a goal.
My team, the Habs, doesn't do that. We don't play like the high scoring teams. lol)

But it's very hard for the referee's assistant to simultaneously coordinate the positions of three players with the timing of a pass, sometimes from a considerable distance.
It's impossible actually. lol I wish they would give the striker the benefit of the doubt sometimes, the way umpires do with second basemen on double plays (half the time
their foot is nowhere near the bag.)

3 & 4. Lack of shots on goal. Do you realize how difficult it is to see clearly on the pitch with so many defenders in front of you? You can't just rush shots because
opportunities are so rare. And it's so easy for the announcers to say "that should have been placed in the back of the net." (You may now be saying that mastering
foot skills is not as difficult as learning to hit a baseball consistently. I'll say that MLB pitching is diluted.)

Soccer is a game of possession.. Americans haven't seemed to grasped this. Why do we want stats, stats, stats? Why can't we just appreciate the skill and effort of guys
who are busting their tails for the team?? Much of the excitement for fans is the play that leads to scoring chances.

5 & 6. Yeah, the rules are strict, but teams can still come back (equalize) with one player down. This adds to my point that it's the ultimate team sport.

7. There's no whining in the NBA? Le Bron James travels every time he drives to the basket yet he protests every foul that he commits. But, yeah, a guy lying on the field
pretending to writhe in pain.. that's part of the game unfortunately.

8. The clock. Yeah, we're use to seeing the clock move backwards. I don't have a problem with stoppage time.. it's another quirk. There should be goal line replay technology
for sure.

9. Diving. You would consider Cristiano Ronaldo a flopper. Do you realize how he is constantly hacked?? The refs don't see or call the majority of fouls committed against
him. If anyone has a right to dive it's him.

I totally understand your point though. I love the fact that the guys on our national team never dive!! And our national team is a collection of suburban rich kids..
Was Landon Donovan a runt who couldn't play another sport? Well, he's 5'8" 148 lbs.. what sport could he play? In our country you need to be a freak.. tall, muscular, huge..
the Tim Lincecums are few and far between.

10. Yeah.. major tournaments are decided by penalty kicks.. it seems silly, but what is the alternative? You want to make the players run for three or four hours to determine
a winner? They are exhausted!! Ice hockey uses four lines.. in soccer you need to be in the ultimate shape.

And, Barry, there is a fan base believe it or not.. so many immigrants in these here United States. ESPN has to show the Euros. I don't have cable though.. need to go to
Bucfan's house. ;)

Umm.. I need to stop here and eat a veggie patty.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Ollie wrote:

10. Yeah.. major tournaments are decided by penalty kicks.. it seems silly, but what is the alternative? You want to make the players run for three or four hours to determine
a winner? They are exhausted!! Ice hockey uses four lines.. in soccer you need to be in the ultimate shape.

And, Barry, there is a fan base believe it or not.. so many immigrants in these here United States. ESPN has to show the Euros. I don't have cable though.. need to go to
Bucfan's house. ;)

Umm.. I need to stop here and eat a veggie patty.


Ollie, if they are so tired let them play until one team breaks. That way you measure will to win and conditioning instead of fluky kicks from a short distance away.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Barrys Dopers wrote:
For the most part you hit on all the major beefs I have with it as well, except one, ESPN cramming it down our throats like we should care who wins the Euro Cup.

Who's "we"? ESPN has an audience larger and more diverse than the population of American-born Pittsburgh sports fans, you know.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Willton wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
For the most part you hit on all the major beefs I have with it as well, except one, ESPN cramming it down our throats like we should care who wins the Euro Cup.

Who's "we"? ESPN has an audience larger and more diverse than the population of American-born Pittsburgh sports fans, you know.


"We" is the proprtion of the US population that is the primary target of major network advertising and European soccer is a fringe sport, like it or not. I'd wager that the ESPN demographis is overwhelmingly US born sports fans.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Bucfan wrote:
1. The lack of scoring. I like a well-played defensive game, just like the next guy, but good heavens, ENOUGH with the nil-nil crap. Not every game should be Verlander vs. Hamels. Take that back ... Verlander vs. Hamels will eventually see at least some scoring.

I agree that it should be easier to score in soccer. In my opinion, a reduction of the number of players on the field would do the trick, but I imagine the various players unions (assuming such things exist in the soccer world) would object to such a rule change.

Bucfan wrote:
2. The offsides rule. Who the hell cares if a team wants to run the risk of having guys go on the offensive and blow past defenders? Really, shouldn't that be, oh, I don't know, REWARDED???

Rewarded for cherry-picking? Should hockey teams be likewise rewarded for having a forward hang out by the crease all game waiting for a defense-man to dump it along the boards? Power plays result in goals only infrequently, so why not try it?

Perhaps the offside rule can be reworked, but I agree with Ollie: having no offside rule would basically turn soccer into a game of launching the ball back and forth between each team's 18-yard line. Progression up the field is fun to watch; cherry-picking is not.

Bucfan wrote:
3. The annoying lack of scoring may be due in large part to the inexplicable refusal by players TO TAKE A DAMN SHOT. Seriously, 3 passes in a phone-booth size area right in front of the goal, BUT NOT ONE DAMN SHOT?!?! What gives??? Shoot the effing thing. The saying in hockey, "Any shot on goal is a good shot."

Of course that's the saying in hockey; it's a lot easier to score in hockey. The puck is the size of a biscuit and can travel at upwards of 90 MPH. Meanwhile, a soccer ball is at least 27 inches in circumference and rarely travels faster than 75-80 MPH when even a professional striker hits it. Plus, there are more men on the field in soccer than there are on the ice in hockey. The chances of scoring on a ball shot into traffic are much higher in hockey than in soccer. Soccer players have to make their shots on goal count; otherwise it's a wasted effort.

Bucfan wrote:
4. Why in hell do shots (rare as they are) miss the barn-size goal by 20 feet? Jesus, these idiots spend eons finally getting into position for a shot, and theeeeen ... "Oh, over the goal by a mile. Again. And again."

Because, believe it or not, it is tough to kick a moving target, particularly one that is airborne, with force into a desired direction every single time. I suggest you give it a try to prove me wrong, however.

Bucfan wrote:
5. The cards. Yellow, red, blue, rainbow, what is that? Grow up already.

It's no different than the various levels of penalization in hockey. The cards just allow viewers to see what the punishment is without needing an announcement from a disembodied voice or some unintelligible sign language from the ref.

Honestly, this is the dumbest criticism I've seen of soccer. Soccer has two cards: yellow and red. No more. American football likewise has multiple colored flags that are frequently thrown by coaches and referees. Yet I see no complaints about that.

Bucfan wrote:
6. No replacement player for the red carded guy? Ejection is not punishment enough? No other sport involves losing a player upon his ejection without allowing a replacement. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Boy, you must not like hockey then.

Bucfan wrote:
7. The whining and gesturing to the referee DURING LIVE ACTION. Every game, numerous times, a guy will lay on the ground and gesture and put on a show to the referee, which never works SINCE THE DARN GAME IS STILL ON AND THE BALL IS NOWHERE NEAR THAT SPOT ANY MORE.

Yeah, it's kinda annoying, but its no worse than players arguing with the umpire between plays, except that there is a cost to doing so in soccer that isn't present in baseball. So appealing to a ref during live action has its costs.

Bucfan wrote:
8. The clock. The game is 90 minutes ... well, with the added time. How much added time? Nobody knows, since if action is rolling, hey, more time, right? I guess even the referee is so stunned that something is happening that he loses track of the clock. 3 minutes "stoppage?" Oh, I meant 3:20. Or 3:40. Or 4. Or whatever the hell I decide.

I agree with this, and it's the most infuriating aspect of soccer from a spectator's perspective. When does the game end? Who knows?!?

I don't understand why soccer can't have a dynamic clock that stops and starts when various events occur, as in American football, hockey and basketball. The stoppage time aspect seems completely arbitrary and at the whim of the official.

Bucfan wrote:
9.. The endless diving, rolling, moaning, twisting and faking. Why?? Trying to get the stupid red card. Allow replacements, and that stupid play acting slows down or stops. This is such a joke and such a large part of the sport that ESPN made fun of the rolling on the ground.

They're not trying to get a red card; they're trying to get a free kick. And players dive a lot because they get fouled a lot, and often times the ref doesn't see the foul unless some dramatic action takes place. The same thing happens in hockey; some players dive so that the fouling player will be placed in the penalty box. I know because I experienced it.

I agree that diving is distasteful and would like it to stop, but not at the expense of fair play.

Bucfan wrote:
10. The dumbest part of the sport - the shoot-out. Hockey recognizes how dumb a shoot-out is by replacing it in the playoffs. Seriously, a game decided by this dumb

The shoot-out is a poor way to decide the end of a game, but if I remember correctly, it is only used after a period of overtime has taken place. It's a last resort to ending the game without entirely exhausting every player on each team. I think the effects of such a practice would be lessened, however, by instituting new rules that increase goal scoring.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Last edited by Willton on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Willton wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
For the most part you hit on all the major beefs I have with it as well, except one, ESPN cramming it down our throats like we should care who wins the Euro Cup.

Who's "we"? ESPN has an audience larger and more diverse than the population of American-born Pittsburgh sports fans, you know.


"We" is the proprtion of the US population that is the primary target of major network advertising and European soccer is a fringe sport, like it or not. I'd wager that the ESPN demographis is overwhelmingly US born sports fans.

I imagine that ESPN's accounting department feels differently regarding the "fringe sport" label. Otherwise I don't think that it would go to the trouble of broadcasting it in favor of, say, daytime baseball games.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that soccer evolved from rugby, a sport which does not allow forward passes. The rule was implemented in the 1800s.


I believe it was the other way round.
Without loking it up, my recall is that a game of soccer was being played at Rugby School (cf "Tom Brown's School Days") and "William Webb Ellis, showing a fine disregard for the rules of the game, picked up the ball and ran with it". Hence why the sport has its name.
That quote (or misquote) comes from the dark recesses of my memory.

_________________
Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. - William Shakespeare


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6189
Location: Keystone State
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Ollie wrote:

10. Yeah.. major tournaments are decided by penalty kicks.. it seems silly, but what is the alternative? You want to make the players run for three or four hours to determine
a winner? They are exhausted!! Ice hockey uses four lines.. in soccer you need to be in the ultimate shape.

And, Barry, there is a fan base believe it or not.. so many immigrants in these here United States. ESPN has to show the Euros. I don't have cable though.. need to go to
Bucfan's house. ;)

Umm.. I need to stop here and eat a veggie patty.


Ollie, if they are so tired let them play until one team breaks. That way you measure will to win and conditioning instead of fluky kicks from a short distance away.


This

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5610
Most, if not all, of the faults Bucfan pointed out are very accurate and worthy of note.

However, as a casual futbol fan, I'm willing to overlook most of them when the teams are top-level like the WC or Euro/Champions League because I do appreciate the fluidity of the game (like that header Spain had against France... Da-YUM! B. UTE. E. FULL!)

Two things that does bug me about Soccer which I don't think Bucfan mentioned: The fans and the season (length)

[Many, not all of] The really passionate ones overseas are hooligans and [many, not all of] the state-side ones are hipsters.

The 'knock' that most hockey fans get (it's a 'niche sport', with 'weird rules' and a 'elitest fanbase') applies tenfold to soccer fans. And at least Canucks are a hell of alot nicer than Europeans.

And the 'season'... I'm far from sure, but I feel like it starts in August and ends in July. And there's always these different 'cups' going on during at different points of any given team's season... There seems to be no 'crest' or natural 'flow' to it (compared to US sports). WTF??? I feel like I need an encyclopedia, a racing form and a decrypter to follow along (much like the Marx Bros. famous 'tootie fruity ice cream sketch).

I do like Soccer. I do want to follow more Euro soccer. But it seems like a bloody chore involving uber passionate fans. And I don't want to 'become one of them'.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 2142
Yawn. Same old drivel I've heard for years from people who just won't take the time to actually understand a different game.

Part of what makes the game so exciting is the rarity of the goals, especially in tournaments. Each time a team gets close or takes a shot can put you on the edge of your seat. 2-2 at the half or 0-0 in the 80th, it doesn't really matter if the next shot could be the winner. And since goals are so rare, players don't want to waste shots, and when they do they look foolish.

As far as time goes, how would you go about stopping and starting the clock? Players have the option to throw the ball back into play as quickly as they want or take direct free kicks as quickly as they want. There's no time for a ref to halt play just for the sake of keeping the clock. They estimate the amount of time that has been spend not playing in each half. It's usually 2-3 minutes. If there's some injuries, you could get 4-5... It runs up instead of down, this can't really be a complain, can it?

What this mindset basically amounts to is, it's not like other sports your used to and the only way you'll "like" it is if it changes to meet your expectations. It's a different game. Get use to it, it's not going to get used to you.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 2142
NSMaster56 wrote:
Most, if not all, of the faults Bucfan pointed out are very accurate and worthy of note.

However, as a casual futbol fan, I'm willing to overlook most of them when the teams are top-level like the WC or Euro/Champions League because I do appreciate the fluidity of the game (like that header Spain had against France... Da-YUM! B. UTE. E. FULL!)

Two things that does bug me about Soccer which I don't think Bucfan mentioned: The fans and the season (length)

[Many, not all of] The really passionate ones overseas are hooligans and [many, not all of] the state-side ones are hipsters.

The 'knock' that most hockey fans get (it's a 'niche sport', with 'weird rules' and a 'elitest fanbase') applies tenfold to soccer fans. And at least Canucks are a hell of alot nicer than Europeans.

And the 'season'... I'm far from sure, but I feel like it starts in August and ends in July. And there's always these different 'cups' going on during at different points of any given team's season... There seems to be no 'crest' or natural 'flow' to it (compared to US sports). WTF??? I feel like I need an encyclopedia, a racing form and a decrypter to follow along (much like the Marx Bros. famous 'tootie fruity ice cream sketch).

I do like Soccer. I do want to follow more Euro soccer. But it seems like a bloody chore involving uber passionate fans. And I don't want to 'become one of them'.



Most soccer fans are not hooligans. This is completely false. Hooliganism is as despised in Europe as it is here. Do they have more of it? Yes. But the vast majority of fans are just like anyone else. This idea would fall into the "French women don't shave" type of myths that survive in our country for some reason.

There are mean and nice people everywhere. I've met plenty of nasty Canadians.

It's a global game, so, yes, there is always going to be a season of some sort going on according to a country's weather. Most European leagues run August to May. MLS runs March-November.

The mid-season tournament is something that is a little hard to explain to people who are unfamiliar with them. In Europe, there are pyramid systems for the leagues that operate with a promotion/relegation system. Just imagine MLB had no farm systems and clubs like Indianapolis operated independently. Then, imagine that AAA is a step below MLB, similarly to how it already is, but at the end of the season, the best 2-3 teams from AAA move up to MLB while the worst 2-3 teams in MLB move down.

So, in England, for example, their entire pyramid is run by the Football Association, the FA. The FA Cup is a tournament that puts their entire pyramid into competition.

The FA is a member of UEFA, which is the governing body of all of Europe. They have their own club tournaments, the UEFA Champions League, which sets the best clubs from around the entire continent against one another, and the Europa League, which is for lesser clubs.

Then there are summer tournaments for national teams, like the World Cup, EURO, Confederations Cup, CONCACAF Gold Cup, etc..


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Very erudite RTJR

_________________
Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. - William Shakespeare


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5610
RTJR wrote:
Most soccer fans are not hooligans. This is completely false.


I said many, not most. And I may be misusing the term 'hooligan'. I guess I should simplify as 'douchebag', such as Cowboys, Lakers or Yankees fans. Many (Euro) soccer fans strike me as that type.

RTJR wrote:
I've met plenty of nasty Canadians.


IMPOSSIBLE!!! :D

Except for Scott... he's a dick. He's not my friend, buddy. And he's not my buddy, guy! :lol:

Otherwise, my 'complaints' don't bug me so much as deter me because, as I said, I'm already invested enough in US sports that I don't want to nerd out any more on Euro ones. I'd like to enjoy what little free time I have left outside of the realm of sport! :D

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 2142
Perhaps. Hooligans are the people who you hear stories about that give the game a bad reputation, like rioting, fighting, throwing flares or other objects onto the field...all the way to murdering others who are fans of a rival (not very common, but it has happened).

Being a passionate fan does not make one a hooligan.

There are "front-runners" and "glory-hunters", even in Europe. They do have quite a bit in common with our Lakers, Yankees, Cowboys fans.

I don't have room for any more sports, either. Soccer itself is quite fast because of it's scope. Many people support multiple teams, even multiple countries. It's enough to consume all of someone's sporting attention, for sure. But I also like football, hockey, and baseball, and not much else sporting wise.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5764
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
The thing that I hate most about soccer? The American fans who possess such an inferiority complex about their love of soccer that they feel the incessant need to tell you why soccer is the greatest thing ever. And, if you don't love soccer as much as they do, then you are a stupid imbecile and lower on the food chain. Seriously, the righteous indignation expressed by soccer fans is nauseating.

You know what? I could sit in the stands and watch four consecutive baseball games - by myself - and be thoroughly entertained. I don't care if no one else would do that. I don't feel the need to jam my love of the game down anyone else's throat. If you don't like baseball, I don't give a rat's ass. I may personally think that you are missing out on a wonderful game but that is your perogative. If you don't like baseball, leave me alone and shut the "f--k" up about soccer. I don't care if its the most popular sport on Earth. I don't care if every country but the United States loves soccer. Get past your insecurities, watch your sport and enjoy it. No need to try to recruit additional supporters. If I had a dime for everytime I've heard that soccer would pass baseball or basketball in national popularity, I could retire. I've been hearing it since the Chicago Sting was a franchise of consequence. Still waiting . . . .

With that . . . I'll share a story. A young associate at our firm was a highly touted high school player (some claim that he may have been the best ever in this state) who also played at . . . I think Wake Forest. I walked through the lunch room one day as he was standing next to the refrigerator. I picked up an apple and tossed it in his direction. He caught it with his hands. My response? "Yep . . . you used your hands. That's why soccer is unnatural. You didn't try to head it, you didn't try to bounce it on your knees or chest it to the ground. We are unique as humans because of the opposable thumb. Any sport that doesn't allow you to use the opposable thumb is setting us backwards on the evolutionary chain and runs the risk of creating a bunch of flippered children who don't have a use for their hands. "

He got a good laugh out of that.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4200
Location: Zelienople, PA
Soooooo... what you are saying is that Mermaids are an ancient race of women who played soccer? :o

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7272
Bucfan wrote:
Feel free to tell my how great the sport is, how well-conditioned the athletes are, blah, blah, but I do not like professional soccer. Here are the top 10 reasons why:

    1. The lack of scoring. I like a well-played defensive game, just like the next guy, but good heavens, ENOUGH with the nil-nil crap. Not every game should be Verlander vs. Hamels. Take that back ... Verlander vs. Hamels will eventually see at least some scoring.

    2. The offsides rule. Who the hell cares if a team wants to run the risk of having guys go on the offensive and blow past defenders? Really, shouldn't that be, oh, I don't know, REWARDED???

    3. The annoying lack of scoring may be due in large part to the inexplicable refusal by players TO TAKE A DAMN SHOT. Seriously, 3 passes in a phone-booth size area right in front of the goal, BUT NOT ONE DAMN SHOT?!?! What gives??? Shoot the effing thing. The saying in hockey, "Any shot on goal is a good shot." Which leads to the next issue ...

    4. Why in hell do shots (rare as they are) miss the barn-size goal by 20 feet? Jesus, these idiots spend eons finally getting into position for a shot, and theeeeen ... "Oh, over the goal by a mile. Again. And again."

    5. The cards. Yellow, red, blue, rainbow, what is that? Grow up already. Which leads to ...

    6. No replacement player for the red carded guy? Ejection is not punishment enough? No other sport involves losing a player upon his ejection without allowing a replacement. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. The stupid card thing may explain ...

    7. The whining and gesturing to the referee DURING LIVE ACTION. Every game, numerous times, a guy will lay on the ground and gesture and put on a show to the referee, which never works SINCE THE DARN GAME IS STILL ON AND THE BALL IS NOWHERE NEAR THAT SPOT ANY MORE.

    8. The clock. The game is 90 minutes ... well, with the added time. How much added time? Nobody knows, since if action is rolling, hey, more time, right? I guess even the referee is so stunned that something is happening that he loses track of the clock. 3 minutes "stoppage?" Oh, I meant 3:20. Or 3:40. Or 4. Or whatever the hell I decide.

    9.. The endless diving, rolling, moaning, twisting and faking. Why?? Trying to get the stupid red card. Allow replacements, and that stupid play acting slows down or stops. This is such a joke and such a large part of the sport that ESPN made fun of the rolling on the ground.

    10. The dumbest part of the sport - the shoot-out. Hockey recognizes how dumb a shoot-out is by replacing it in the playoffs. Seriously, a game decided by this dumb


I played youth soccer to keep busy as a kid and was pretty good. When I got to high school and knew my #1 sport was wrestling, I decided not to play football in the fall and play soccer for the conditioning.
I lettered my junior and senior year. I was a goon. I matched up against the other team's top guy and just physically beat him up. Shoulder to shoulder hits, slide tackles, kicking him in the back of the calf. Remember I was a heavyweight. I got thrown out of game once when I slide tackled a goalie in a blowout loss and the slide tackle turned into a fireman's carry.

Soccer is fun to play, but I can't stand watching it on tv.

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits