Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pitt Wrestlers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 pm 

Kudos to the Pitt Panthers for winning both the dual meet championship and the tournament championship of the Eastern Wrestling League. Let's hope more success is imminent for the Panthers at nationals next week out in St. Louis. Good luck to all EWL teams and all their qualifiers. It was a great EWL tournament up at Clarion this past weekend. We even got a little snow mixed in throughout the weekend for a change. :D

Post subject: Re: Pitt Wrestlers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:23 am 

Husky wrote:
Kudos to the Pitt Panthers for winning both the dual meet championship and the tournament championship of the Eastern Wrestling League. Let's hope more success is imminent for the Panthers at nationals next week out in St. Louis. Good luck to all EWL teams and all their qualifiers. It was a great EWL tournament up at Clarion this past weekend. We even got a little snow mixed in throughout the weekend for a change. :D

God know Pitt Sports need some positives!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 am 

Pitt has a pretty good wrestling team. It's just tough to compete on a national level with Iowa, Iowa State, Penn State, Oklahoma, and Minnesota...
Last I looked, they are currently 9th in the Nation going into the NCAA Championships this weekend in St. Louis.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:42 am 

Hoping for the best from the Panthers and the other EWL teams. By my way of thinking, Pitt should come away with several All-Americans. Other EWL teams such as Clarion, Bloomsburg, Edinboro, and West Virginia all have guys who could become AA's. Don't have much hope for anybody from Cleveland State or Lock Haven attaining AA status, but we shall see. It all starts today (this morning) in St. Louis. Check the NCAA website for results.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:45 am 

The EWL had All-Americans from three schools. Pitt had Naumann place at 6th and Wilps take 4th at 197 pounds, Edinboro's Honeycutt took 2nd at 197 pounds respectively, And Clarion's Fleming and Mr. A ( can't begin to spell his last name) placed at 5th and 3rd respectively at 157 and 165 pounds. Thus ends, what will be most likely be the last season ever for the EWL, which had its origins way back in the 1970s. Sorry to see it happen, and many of us will sorely miss our much beloved Eastern Wrestling League. Best of luck to Pitt in the ACC and West Virginia in the Big 12. What will happen to the five remaining teams--Bloomsburg, Clarion, Cleveland State, Edinboro, and Lock Haven-- remains to be seen. Hopefully, there will be a merger with the Mid-America Conference for Division I wrestling. We shall see.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:06 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yeah, sad to see that go. I remember watching the great,great Clarion teams of the 70's. Still maybe the best team I've seen live. That would have been the Petey Morelli, Don Rohn, Simpson and Wade Schalles team. Schalles is still my hero. The rubber band man if ever there was one.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:49 pm 

I saw Wade Schalles wrestle one of my room mates at the Rock in 74 I think. He was amazing. My room mate was pretty good but he got waxed by Wade. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:02 am 

Wade Schalles was one of a kind. At the PIAA "States" this year I had a long conversation with a sports writer from Mercer County about Schalles and those Clarion teams back then. Those were indeed great days for the EWL! Thanks for commenting, guys.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 pm 

Husky wrote:
Wade Schalles was one of a kind. At the PIAA "States" this year I had a long conversation with a sports writer from Mercer County about Schalles and those Clarion teams back then. Those were indeed great days for the EWL! Thanks for commenting, guys.

A short story:

In 1969, I was working at Penn State's TV station, WPSX (now WPSU), and we were considering what kinds of new programming we could originate. That year, if I recall correctly, the PIAA state finals were to be held at Rec Hall on campus for the first time. I'd covered high school wresting for a newspaper earlier in my career, so I pitched the idea of carrying the finals live. I said, high school wrestling is like a religion in Pennsylvania, and I guarantee you the place will be packed. And if we advertise this early enough it will attract a big audience. We happened to have a guy on staff who had years of experience broadcasting wrestling live on a radio station in Lock Haven, and he was thrilled about the idea. So the administrators said, OK, but this better not bomb.

Well, that was the year Schalles pinned Bimbo Chatman of Trinity at 154 pounds in the third period after Chatman had abused him for virtually the entire match. I suspect the reaction might have had a racial component, since Chatman was a defending state champion who had never been beaten and was both black and -- if any of you remember his style -- super-aggressive. Anyway, the place almost literally exploded when the ref's hand slapped the mat. The noise was so deafening it seemed like the roof was going to lift off. Everything else after that was anticlimactic, but the upshot was that the telecast was a big success. To this day, that match -- and the reaction to it -- remain the most exciting thing I've ever witnessed live in sports.

BTW, here's a video of Schalles that you and Mike and AZ might enjoy watching if you haven't already seen it:
http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/387-Wade-Schalles/video

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I had not seen that. His mom is one smart cookie.

That is right up the lane with some of the best motivational speakers. Napoleon Hill, Tim Robbins, others... great stuff.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:25 pm 

Thanks for the great additions to and and participation in this thread. I'll be talking during baseball season. Are you guys ready to see the Pirates thump the Phillies next week? :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:20 pm 

i have recently learned that Pitt will indeed be in the EWL for another year, as the entanglements of jumping from the Big East to the ACC precludes their leaving the EWL. That is good news for at least another year. WVU is definiterly gone, but it is great to have Pitt for another year. Hats off to the Pitt Panthers who had a great 2011-2012 in Div I wrestling and congrats to Coach Stottlemyre. A great job!