Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Now a Philly baseball writer is accused of molestation
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:10 pm 

Longtime Daily News columnist Bill Conlin retired yesterday after four people alleged that he molested them when they were children. One of them, his niece.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-12-20/news/30538429_1_sexual-assaults-bill-conlin-prosecution

The third such story in the sports world in less than two months . . .

Post subject: Re: Now a Philly baseball writer is accused of molestation
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:22 pm 

Unfortunately this is nothing new, the hockey world has been shaken by this stuff multiple times in the last decade. In the Canadian junior system you have almost uncontrolled access to young boys withour parental supervision.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:40 pm 

Hmmm, did not know that, BD. I don't follow hockey at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 pm 

Unfortunately, Barry is on the money. :? :? :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:19 pm 

The latest on the NHL story-

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hoc ... ice=mobile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:35 pm 

Wow, Conlin has been an important part of the sportswriter's community for as long as I can remember.

Jeez, that is really disturbing. He is not going to be prosecuted due to statute of limitations issues, it seems.

http://www.wgal.com/r/30051317/detail.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:58 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Where are all the media calling for the closing of the Inquirer? The removal of the CEO and Chief editors? I mean, where is the outrage standard that this same media set for the PSU scandal?

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:53 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Where are all the media calling for the closing of the Inquirer? The removal of the CEO and Chief editors? I mean, where is the outrage standard that this same media set for the PSU scandal?

ZM

First, it's the Daily News, not the Inquirer. The Inquirer reported the story; the Daily News was Conlin's employer at the time.

Second, you're comparing apples to oranges. The facts and circumstances of this case are far different from those of the PSU-Sandusky scandal. Observe:

• The Daily News claims to have had no knowledge of the affair until the Inquirer reported it. By contrast, we have sworn testimonial evidence from McQueery that several PSU officers and employees knew of the Sandusky incident.
  • The Conlin incidents allegedly happened in the 1970's. I imagine that the officers of the Daily News at the time are not still holding their respective positions now. The Sandusky incident, on the other hand, occurred under JoePa's and the recently ousted PSU president's watch.
  • The Daily News is not a state-run organization, and the officers thereof are not public employees. PSU and its employees are.
  • The media is not charged with the duty to oversee and protect the young people that read their publications. PSU and its employees of educators and coaches do have such a duty regarding its students and the young people it hosts.

Those are at least some of the differences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 pm 

Willton wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

First, it's the Daily News, not the Inquirer. The Inquirer reported the story; the Daily News was Conlin's employer at the time.

Second, you're comparing apples to oranges. The facts and circumstances of this case are far different from those of the PSU-Sandusky scandal. Observe:

• The Daily News claims to have had no knowledge of the affair until the Inquirer reported it. By contrast, we have sworn testimonial evidence from McQueery that several PSU officers and employees knew of the Sandusky incident.
  • The Conlin incidents allegedly happened in the 1970's. I imagine that the officers of the Daily News at the time are not still holding their respective positions now. The Sandusky incident, on the other hand, occurred under JoePa's and the recently ousted PSU president's watch.
  • The Daily News is not a state-run organization, and the officers thereof are not public employees. PSU and its employees are.
  • The media is not charged with the duty to oversee and protect the young people that read their publications. PSU and its employees of educators and coaches do have such a duty regarding its students and the young people it hosts.

Those are at least some of the differences.

Just for the record, the Inquirer and Daily News are owned by the same company although run separately.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:03 pm 

The difference IMHO is that there was a witness in the PSU case and said witness reported it to superiors. I don't believe that was the case with Conlin. Several years ago, my 5th grade teacher was convicted of similar charges while a Boy Scout leader. He received over 50 years and will die in prison.