Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: After a week and some more thought...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:31 pm 

My question is what punishment should Penn State receive? I mean Ohio State is getting and will continue to get sanctions for their inappropriate actions, right? What about PSU?

Yes Peterno got fired but what about the 70 million dollar enterprise? Does it just go on making millions and no one makes changes? Should they cancel the season? Should they go to a bowl game and celebrate with millions more dollars when a monsterous activity was covered up (and thus allowed to continue) by the football machine? I think not.

If there is any control at PSU by the Board of Trustees or the President of the school , action must be forthcoming and now! It would be the moral thing to do. It would be the right thing to do? They should do it themselves. If they are the kind of institution that they claim to be, they must act to show their alums and the public in general, that PSU stands for correctness. Or is money and winning football games their real morality?

Post subject: Re: After a week and some more thought...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:54 am 

After a week, I'm getting less and less rational about this whole story. I was up all night having a running pedophilia nightmare starring Jerry Sandusky, Joe Paterno and my cousin Billy. I saw two interviews on TV yesterday; Michele Bachmann said she'd have beaten Sandusky to a pulp with a baseball bat, and Franco Harris accused the media of conflating the issue and manufacturing outrage against an "innocent" Paterno. I want to hug Michele Bachmann and tell Franco Harris to go to hell. That is completely f***ed up.

At this point, I want everyone involved (Sandusky, Paterno, Spanier, McQueary, Curley, everyone) to die in prison. I want
PSU football to get the death penalty, I want the federal and state governments to pull Penn State's funding, I want the whole university to go bankrupt, and I want those thousands of students who rioted in support of Paterno to accidentally set themselves on fire in their dorm rooms.

So, yeah, if you read in the news sometime in the near future about some crazed middle-aged guy from Pittsburgh being arrested for taking a sledge hammer to the JoePa statue outside Beaver Stadium and spray-painting "PEDOPHILIA ENABLER" and "F*** PSU IDOLATRY" at the site, that might be me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Its good to let these things out Judge. Just remember to take a few big, deep breath's when done.

For your sanity.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:18 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
My question is what punishment should Penn State receive? I mean Ohio State is getting and will continue to get sanctions for their inappropriate actions, right? What about PSU?

Yes Peterno got fired but what about the 70 million dollar enterprise? Does it just go on making millions and no one makes changes? Should they cancel the season? Should they go to a bowl game and celebrate with millions more dollars when a monsterous activity was covered up (and thus allowed to continue) by the football machine? I think not.

If there is any control at PSU by the Board of Trustees or the President of the school , action must be forthcoming and now! It would be the moral thing to do. It would be the right thing to do? They should do it themselves. If they are the kind of institution that they claim to be, they must act to show their alums and the public in general, that PSU stands for correctness. Or is money and winning football games their real morality?

I don't see how the NCAA has any jurisdiction at all on this. They seem to think otherwise. It's a criminal matter, not a competitive matter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:38 pm 

The NCAA has provisions that they could construe to attack this issue. One of the violations they tack on to punishing schools is "lack of institutional control." Since they're being accused of covering up pedophilia, I wonder what else they could be hiding in State College.

I think they'll get some sort of penalty like USC got. They'll lose scholarships, get a post season ban, etc. The NCAA hasn't handed down the death penalty since SMU and I doubt they ever do it again. It would harm the entire Big 10 and I just don't see that happening.

I think the bottom line is that PSU covered this up to protect their football program. If that's not a lack of institutional control over its football program I don't know what is.