Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Week 1 (Not Good)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:07 pm 

My review of yesterday's Steelers/Ravens tilt: "I've seen monkey sh*t fights at the zoo more organized than that."

I don't feel the need to break down every breakdown or detail precisely how awful the team played, but suffice to say that when Daniel Sepulveda is your best player in a football game, you're not going to win that game. Also, I believe I read that the Steelers turned the ball over seven times. I thought that was a misprint, but no. Seven times. The most turnovers a Steeler team has committed since Kordell Stewart's rookie year in 1995.

Here's what it "boiled down to":

Thanks, Jim Mora!

My concern is not that the Steelers won't improve. They will. It's not that the defense is "slow" or "too old." They're not. My concerns stem from the weaknesses that the Steelers have that may continue to get exploited. Don't worry overmuch about the defensive front seven. Those guys will bounce back. But what about two specific areas where the team has shown vulnerability over the last few seasons? To wit:

Left Tackle: Say what you want about Max Starks, but he's better than Jonathan Scott. Quite a bit better. Though I give Mr. Scott due credit for coming in last season and playing a thoroughly below average (but certainly not disastrous) left tackle, he doesn't appear to have suddenly become a league-average player. With this guy "protecting" (and yes, I'm putting that term in sarcasm-induced quotes) Ben Roethlisberger's blind side, I doubt the offense will be able to take the risks necessary to get the Steelers' playmaking wide receivers the ball on downfield throws. By the second half of yesterday's debacle, Big Ben was practically flinching on every pass play because he knew that Scott had no chance to even hold up Terrell Suggs much less block the sonofabitch. The bottom line here is that unless Marcus Gilbert turns into Tony Boselli, the Steelers have a serious weak link at left tackle. And that's hard to overcome in the passing game.

Right Cornerback: I bet Bryant McFadden is a great guy. Unfortunately, he's not a great football player. Or even a good football player. Or an average football player. If the Steelers trot out McFadden as a starting corner all year long, we'll have to watch an entire season of "Oh, McFadden almost tipped that ball away!" games. The guy is just decent enough to be in position to jump or dive to slap that ball away, but not good enough to actually do it. Curtis Brown or Cortez Allen or Keenan Lewis need to make a move and demonstrate to the coaching staff that one of them can make the plays that McFadden so clearly cannot.

I'm confident that the Steelers will win a bunch of games this year. However, I'm also confident that good football teams will exploit these two glaring weaknesses and hurt the Steelers by attacking two positions where Pittsburgh fails to start even a league-average football player. Hopefully, youth will be served as the year goes on and at least one (and perhaps both) of these weaknesses will be mitigated. If not, I see an unhappy ending to the Steelers' 2011 campaign...

Post subject: Re: Week 1 (Not Good)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:30 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I'm confident that the Steelers will win a bunch of games this year. However, I'm also confident that good football teams will exploit these two glaring weaknesses and hurt the Steelers by attacking two positions where Pittsburgh fails to start even a league-average football player. Hopefully, youth will be served as the year goes on and at least one (and perhaps both) of these weaknesses will be mitigated. If not, I see an unhappy ending to the Steelers' 2011 campaign...

You don't say?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7575

I think more 'critical thinking' fans are noticing this. Not to say the Steelers don't have a chance to win it all, because so long as they make the playoffs they do, they're among the NFL's elite and were one TO away from beating the Pack last year, but if the average fan can figure out the Steelers weaknesses... I shudder thinking what Belichick, Payton, McCarthy and others can and will do if and/or when the situation arises.

The good news is the schedule is relatively easy until Weeks 8-9 (home for NE and BAL):

SEA, @ IND, @ HOU, TEN, JAX, @ AZ

Seattle and Indy should be cakewalks. In theory, Jacksonville should be, too. Of course, in prior years they have been the Steelers 'kryptonite'. The Cards could be a easy win depending on how Kolb developes and because if Cam Newton can destroy them...

Houston should be a win, but they can air it out. Tennessee is frisky.

If they split those two 'tougher' games and get the job done vs. the cupcakes, 5-2 with a two-game tough homestand will be gravy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:43 pm 

I've been pounding the "Jonathan Scott and Bryant McFadden suck" drum for a long time as well, my friend.

It's just tough to see an otherwise rock-solid football team start two well below average players at key positions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:58 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I've been pounding the "Jonathan Scott and Bryant McFadden suck" drum for a long time as well, my friend.

Not surprising. You're a smart cat.

I think the two weaknesses you pointed out are 1, 2, or 3 along with Bruce Arians, Offensive Coordinator when it comes to 'Most Common Steeler Fan Complaints'.

J_C_Steel wrote:
It's just tough to see an otherwise rock-solid football team start two well below average players at key positions.

Agreed.

Here's hoping there is not another post-SB 'hangover'. I'm tired of those.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:12 am 

And now comes word that RT Willie Colon will undergo triceps surgery and is projected to be out indefinitely.

This could get downright ugly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:12 am 

Things just got worse. Colon probably out for the season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:57 am 

Probably the worst single game I've seen them play, ever. They were complete shit. Not much more needs to be said.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:21 pm 

What was that I wrote about Jonathan Scott after Week 1?

Yeah.

I was right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:06 pm 

Carefule now! You don't want to sprain anything patting yourself on the back. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:07 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Houston should be a win, but they can air it out. Tennessee is frisky.

If they split those two 'tougher' games and get the job done vs. the cupcakes, 5-2 with a two-game tough homestand will be gravy.

My theories on HOU/TEN turned out to be reverse. The Steelers looked flat on the road and like their younger selves at home.

JAX and AZ should be W's. The Jags are just not good (although MJD may give the Steelers D some fits) and the Cards, though better at home, also appear punchless.

Depending on how the rest of the year breaks, it's looking like 10-6/11-5.