Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:29 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Fluery should have at least stopped the third and go-ahead goal for TB. Just after Staal scored the 2nd and tying goal for the Pens and after Roloson made three great stops in a row for TB,

I couldn't believe it when (60 year old) Roloson made those stops. How did Pascal not bury that rebound chance?! :x

bassoondirector wrote:
Fleury allowed the puck to get under him after he made the first stop. He should have made that second stop too.

He couldn't, Lovejoy was laid out in front of him.

bassoondirector wrote:
That was the game.

It really was (only 1:07 after Staal's beauty).

The Malone breakaway only made it THISMUCH worse...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:30 pm 

Oh yeah, and Chris Conners...

?!?!?!

AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:42 pm 

The Pens look terrible. They can't score. Staal is skating up and down the ice doing nothing. Letang looks terrible. Paul Martin doesn't look good. I'm not sure what the heck Kovalev is doing or not doing anymore. TB is going to win Game 7. Season is done. Wait until next year.....I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 pm 

Get the golf clubs out. This team wasn't going anywhere anyway without their two big guns. But still, blowing a 3-1 lead is embarrassing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:14 am 

bucco boy wrote:
This team wasn't going anywhere anyway without their two big guns. But still, blowing a 3-1 lead is embarrassing.

Exactly.

I'm glad it's over now. I don't know how much longer I could have watched the Pens 'Power'play.

As someone else I know said: it would have been better if the refs had implemented NFL-style rules and the Pens simply decined all penalties.

This series loss is clearly on the offense, or more exactly, lackthereof. Hats off to Fluery. Boo to everyone else.

Last edited by NSMaster56 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:15 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Get the golf clubs out. This team wasn't going anywhere anyway without their two big guns. But still, blowing a 3-1 lead is embarrassing.

Frankly, I think whatever would have happened to us against the Caps would have been more embarrassing. Oh well. I expect by the middle of next season, Crosby will be cleared for contact.

Maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:16 am 

I hate to sound too 'yinzer', but...

Trade Malkin??? :?:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 am 

PP was 0 for 25 at home. :o

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 am 

Without Crosby and Malkin, this Penguin team is punchless. Everyone else is either a role player, or support player, or just a defensive player.

Ray Shero needs to build a better hockey club and add one or two other skill players up front for a more balanced team. Those skill players should be goal scorers that will add to the offense Crosby and Malkin provide.

Considering everything, I guess we as Penguin fans should be very happy about what the team accomplished this season. In the end, I am. But it also makes me realize that there are shortcomings with this team without Crosby and Malkin. There are shortcomings with this team even if Crosby and Malkin are playing.

Ray Shero needs to do some work this off-season before the next hockey season begins.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:04 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
Without Crosby and Malkin, this Penguin team is punchless. Everyone else is either a role player, or support player, or just a defensive player.

Ray Shero needs to build a better hockey club and add one or two other skill players up front for a more balanced team. Those skill players should be goal scorers that will add to the offense Crosby and Malkin provide.

Considering everything, I guess we as Penguin fans should be very happy about what the team accomplished this season. In the end, I am. But it also makes me realize that there are shortcomings with this team without Crosby and Malkin. There are shortcomings with this team even if Crosby and Malkin are playing.

Ray Shero needs to do some work this off-season before the next hockey season begins.

I think they though Neal was going to be one of those guys and he wasn't. But maybe if he played on a Crosby or Malkin line, he would have been. Who knows? The issue is the Pens have big money on five or six players so you can't get much more under the salary cap. The big guns have to be the winners and they have proven they can when they are on the ice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:56 am 

bassoondirector wrote:

Let's not go nuts here, if you take away the best two players on any team in the NHL, they will look undertalented and lack scoring. The team is very well constructed for winning playoff hockey with two of the best 5 players in the game at C. Shero does face decisions on role players as usual. The Pens will have between $5-6million in cap space to work with and a ton of unrestricted FA's. Dupuis, Talbot, Rupp, Asham, Adams, Kovalev, Godard, and Conner will be UFA's, Kennedy is an arbitration eligible RFA.

Your roster commitments are Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Staal, Cooke, and Letestu at F; all 7 D are under contract as are both goalies. The decisions come down to which F to bring back versus which AHL guys are ready among Tangradi, Jeffrey, and Nick Johnson. Most of the FA forwards are $1 million a year types so you could keep many of them. Kennedy is the only guy looking at a big pay increase.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:44 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Shero does face decisions on role players as usual. The Pens will have between $5-6million in cap space to work with and a ton of unrestricted FA's. Dupuis, Talbot, Rupp, Asham, Adams, Kovalev, Godard, and Conner will be UFA's, Kennedy is an arbitration eligible RFA.

I'm just going to assume TyKe isn't going anywhere.

As such, I'd most like to keep Talbot and Dupuis. Rupp and Adams are savvy and gritty vets worth keeping, too, if the price is right.

Maybe keep Asham, who was the only good player in the playoffs.

Screw the rest.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:11 pm 

With the Bolts taking a 2-0 series lead, I could not be more over the first round 'choke job' by the Pens.

I would much rather watch the Caps go down than to see the Pens win a meaningless first round series then get embarassed by one of their rivals.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:27 am 

I now feel A LOT better about losing to the Bolts.

Screw you Ovie!

The next best thing to winning the Cup is watching the Caps choke it away.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
The next best thing to winning the Cup is watching the Caps choke it away.

Yep. I agree 100%.