Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3261
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
I think this series will go seven games. This Penguin team needs Crosby and Malkin for the playoffs. Since Malkin is out until next year, I'm afraid that the Pens won't go deep into the playoffs and challenge for the Stanley Cup unless Crosby returns.

The Pens have done a great job this season and especially without Crosby and Malkin.

But the power play has been terrible and it needs Crosby to be successful.

Also, I think Fleury is a great goalie and I'm very glad we have him...but it frustrates me when I see him give up lots of rebounds. It seems as though he depends on his defense to clear those rebounds out of danger way too often. I would like to see him absorb many of those shots on goal or at least direct them to the corners of the ice.

Just my two cents on things.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:44 am 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5358
I predicted Pens in five, but, in fairness, I underestimated the Bolts.

I agree about Flower, he's frustrating to watch. He allows too many soft goals and rebound chances.

Still, as someone else I know pointed out:

The Bolts will win any game in which they score three goals... but they have to score three goals.

My honest assessment: The Pens will have a hard time winning in less than six games, because they won so many games (10+ without Sid) in SO's.

However, they have the goaltending and offensive pieces (Staal, Neal, Letang, Kunitz, Kennedy, Pascal...) to win in five if they don't get complacent like they did in game two.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:32 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
NSMaster56 wrote:
I predicted Pens in five, but, in fairness, I underestimated the Bolts.

I agree about Flower, he's frustrating to watch. He allows too many soft goals and rebound chances.

Still, as someone else I know pointed out:

The Bolts will win any game in which they score three goals... but they have to score three goals.

My honest assessment: The Pens will have a hard time winning in less than six games, because they won so many games (10+ without Sid) in SO's.

However, they have the goaltending and offensive pieces (Staal, Neal, Letang, Kunitz, Kennedy, Pascal...) to win in five if they don't get complacent like they did in game two.


Man, it irritates me to hear Fleury get so much criticism. Does he have some flaws? Of course. Would I want any other goalie? I don't think so. This guy single-handedly kept the Pens in the games and in the season. He not only deserves accolades as the best goalie, but he deserves the league MVP!

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:28 pm 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5358
Animal wrote:
Man, it irritates me to hear Fleury get so much criticism. Does he have some flaws? Of course. Would I want any other goalie? I don't think so. This guy single-handedly kept the Pens in the games and in the season.


The criticism is justified, though. Just like how (the GREAT) Roberto Loungo is known for playing rebounds wrong and playing bad in the playoffs.

MAF is one of the best 5 goalies in the league, certainly younger than 26, but that doesn't mean he is flawless.

I, too, wouldn't want any other goalie in the league, except for perhaps Ryan Miller.

Animal wrote:
He not only deserves accolades as the best goalie, but he deserves the league MVP!


Reel in the yinzer there. He's good, great at times, but not Vezina or Hart worthy (this year, if ever).

Lou, TT, and Ryan Miller are Vezina worthy. Pekka Rinne or TT will probably win it this year, deservedly so.

The Sedins and Corey Perry are Hart worthy. Sid was a lock to have won it if he didn't get hurt.

Personally, I would rate Flower [slightly] above Bryzgalov and King Henrik, below Lou and TT and tied with Miller.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3261
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Like I said, I'm glad we have Fleury. I even have a Fleury jersey. But I do think he is overrated. I get frustrated by his big juicy rebounds at times. If his defense isn't there to clear those rebounds (which they are many times) he's in trouble. Plus his overall "acrobatic" style of goaltending puts him in compromising positions many times where he is out of position and is not able to stop the puck.

Am I too critical? Maybe, but I'm still glad we have him. I've followed the Pens since the early '70s. He is or is one of the best goalies the Pens have ever had.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:38 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
I gotta disagree with both of you guys.

Yeah, if Sid doesn't get hurt, he runs away with the MVP.

But, without Fleury, the Pens are nowhere near where they are. MVP hands down!

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5358
Lets hope today was an aberration.

Win game six in Tampa, move on to play BOS-MTL winner.

Sko!

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3261
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
The Penguin power play is absolutely terrible. Fleury isn't making the big stops he needs to make.

It's anybody's game now as it moves on to Game 7 in Pittsburgh which I had a feeling it would.

Pens need Crosby to be at least on the power play. Even if the Pens win Game 7, they will not make it much deeper into the playoffs without Sid.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:07 pm 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5358
bassoondirector wrote:
The Penguin power play is absolutely terrible.


And how. 1/30... :shock:

bassoondirector wrote:
Fleury isn't making the big stops he needs to make.


Tonight he was alright, it was the Defenders who screwed him up twice.

On the first and third Bolts goals Flower made the stop and could have covered it up if not for the D-men sliding down in front of him and causing deflections/rebounds to the Tampa players.

Or, at least that's how I saw it.

bassoondirector wrote:
Pens need Crosby to be at least on the power play. Even if the Pens win Game 7, they will not make it much deeper into the playoffs without Sid.


That much is clear.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3261
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Fluery should have at least stopped the third and go-ahead goal for TB. Just after Staal scored the 2nd and tying goal for the Pens and after Roloson made three great stops in a row for TB, Fleury allowed the puck to get under him after he made the first stop. He should have made that second stop too.

That was the game.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:29 pm 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5358
bassoondirector wrote:
Fluery should have at least stopped the third and go-ahead goal for TB. Just after Staal scored the 2nd and tying goal for the Pens and after Roloson made three great stops in a row for TB,


I couldn't believe it when (60 year old) Roloson made those stops. How did Pascal not bury that rebound chance?! :x

bassoondirector wrote:
Fleury allowed the puck to get under him after he made the first stop. He should have made that second stop too.


He couldn't, Lovejoy was laid out in front of him.

bassoondirector wrote:
That was the game.


It really was (only 1:07 after Staal's beauty).

The Malone breakaway only made it THISMUCH worse...

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:30 pm 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5358
Oh yeah, and Chris Conners...

?!?!?!

AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3261
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
The Pens look terrible. They can't score. Staal is skating up and down the ice doing nothing. Letang looks terrible. Paul Martin doesn't look good. I'm not sure what the heck Kovalev is doing or not doing anymore. TB is going to win Game 7. Season is done. Wait until next year.....I guess.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6046
Location: Keystone State
Get the golf clubs out. This team wasn't going anywhere anyway without their two big guns. But still, blowing a 3-1 lead is embarrassing.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:14 am 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5358
bucco boy wrote:
This team wasn't going anywhere anyway without their two big guns. But still, blowing a 3-1 lead is embarrassing.


Exactly.

I'm glad it's over now. I don't know how much longer I could have watched the Pens 'Power'play.

As someone else I know said: it would have been better if the refs had implemented NFL-style rules and the Pens simply decined all penalties.

This series loss is clearly on the offense, or more exactly, lackthereof. Hats off to Fluery. Boo to everyone else.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Last edited by NSMaster56 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:15 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
bucco boy wrote:
Get the golf clubs out. This team wasn't going anywhere anyway without their two big guns. But still, blowing a 3-1 lead is embarrassing.


Frankly, I think whatever would have happened to us against the Caps would have been more embarrassing. Oh well. I expect by the middle of next season, Crosby will be cleared for contact.

Maybe.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:16 am 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5358
I hate to sound too 'yinzer', but...

Trade Malkin??? :?:

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 am 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6046
Location: Keystone State
PP was 0 for 25 at home. :o

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3261
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Without Crosby and Malkin, this Penguin team is punchless. Everyone else is either a role player, or support player, or just a defensive player.

Ray Shero needs to build a better hockey club and add one or two other skill players up front for a more balanced team. Those skill players should be goal scorers that will add to the offense Crosby and Malkin provide.

Considering everything, I guess we as Penguin fans should be very happy about what the team accomplished this season. In the end, I am. But it also makes me realize that there are shortcomings with this team without Crosby and Malkin. There are shortcomings with this team even if Crosby and Malkin are playing.

Ray Shero needs to do some work this off-season before the next hockey season begins.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bolts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:04 am 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6046
Location: Keystone State
bassoondirector wrote:
Without Crosby and Malkin, this Penguin team is punchless. Everyone else is either a role player, or support player, or just a defensive player.

Ray Shero needs to build a better hockey club and add one or two other skill players up front for a more balanced team. Those skill players should be goal scorers that will add to the offense Crosby and Malkin provide.

Considering everything, I guess we as Penguin fans should be very happy about what the team accomplished this season. In the end, I am. But it also makes me realize that there are shortcomings with this team without Crosby and Malkin. There are shortcomings with this team even if Crosby and Malkin are playing.

Ray Shero needs to do some work this off-season before the next hockey season begins.


I think they though Neal was going to be one of those guys and he wasn't. But maybe if he played on a Crosby or Malkin line, he would have been. Who knows? The issue is the Pens have big money on five or six players so you can't get much more under the salary cap. The big guns have to be the winners and they have proven they can when they are on the ice.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits