Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Wings and Penguins
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:35 pm 

Well this is going to be a great series. 2 great teams with 2 hot goaltenders!

Post subject: Re: Red Wings and Penguins
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:14 am 

A true Stanley Cup battle between two of the most historied and most popular NHL franchises. Aside from that, it truly has a "new school vs. old school" vibe to it. Should be a lot of fun to watch. I HATE the Wings and fortunately had the privilege of seeing them lose in a Shoot-Out at Nationwide Arena way back towards the beginning of the regular season in Columbus. Pens in 7.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:26 pm 

I've become addicted to Detroit sports radio (I'm a fan of the lowly Lions.) Those Detroiters are hockey fanatics and they are soooo cocky. Everyone in Motown is assuming the Wings will win the Cup.

I'm jealous. Why must my teams suck? Everyday I am hearing about Wings, Pistons, more Wings.. here you folks are talking Penguins, Steelers. I wonder if anyone else follows two such crappy teams.. Lions & Pirates. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:34 pm 

Ollie wrote:
I wonder if anyone else follows two such crappy teams.. Lions & Pirates. :oops:

Me! Pirates & Columbus Blue Jackets.

Pirates = on the verge of the longest stretch of losing seasons in MLB history.

Blue Jackets = The only team left in the NHL who has yet to reach the post-season, or even have an above .500 record for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:11 pm 

I'm not the only one suffering then. Ha! I watched that Blue Jackets win over Detroit.. great game! I wish I had Versus, I'd watch these games.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:10 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Pirates and Iowa State here. No. 9 and IA Bucco will love that ISU's best basketball player just decided to transfer. Losing sucks.

#15 Kansas State Wildcats (1-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (0-1)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
11:00 AM CST
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:32 pm 

DO the blue jackets still have rick nash?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:54 pm 

Ryann wrote:
DO the blue jackets still have rick nash?

Yes, thank God. He actually finally became Captain last year when Adam Foote was sent back to Colorado at the trade deadline.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:52 am 

Well they might have an ok team in the future.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:22 am 

TheShark wrote:
Ollie wrote:
I wonder if anyone else follows two such crappy teams.. Lions & Pirates. :oops:

Me! Pirates & Columbus Blue Jackets.

Pirates = on the verge of the longest stretch of losing seasons in MLB history.

Blue Jackets = The only team left in the NHL who has yet to reach the post-season, or even have an above .500 record for that matter.

I hate to say this, but I think that the Blue Jackets have a bright future somewhere in Ontario, Seattle or Kansas City if management doesn't put a winner on the ice fairly soon (within the next decade or so). Since I rarely get to see them play, how close do you think they are to doing that? Do you have a core of good young players? Does management look like it has a clue?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:39 am 

sisyphus wrote:
I hate to say this, but I think that the Blue Jackets have a bright future somewhere in Ontario, Seattle or Kansas City if management doesn't put a winner on the ice fairly soon (within the next decade or so). Since I rarely get to see them play, how close do you think they are to doing that? Do you have a core of good young players? Does management look like it has a clue?

But don't they have a new arena with a lot of nice, new development around it? I remember during the Pens fight for a new arena they had a huge hockeyrection over what Columbus had done. I don't see them leaving that within the next decade.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:12 pm 

BBF wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

But don't they have a new arena with a lot of nice, new development around it? I remember during the Pens fight for a new arena they had a huge hockeyrection over what Columbus had done. I don't see them leaving that within the next decade.

The only time I was in Columbus was during the offseason, but I did get down to the arena area. It looked promising, but I really don't know what it's like today. My comment wasn't about the arena, it was about the attendance. It's still pretty good, but declining every year. They need to put a good team on the ice so that hockey can really take off. And I don't see them leaving in a decade. I'm thinking that's the time frame they have available to really establish themselves with the fans. The nicest arena in the world doesn't generate any revenue when the seats are empty.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:45 pm 

Ollie wrote:
I've become addicted to Detroit sports radio (I'm a fan of the lowly Lions.) Those Detroiters are hockey fanatics and they are soooo cocky. Everyone in Motown is assuming the Wings will win the Cup.

I'm jealous. Why must my teams suck? Everyday I am hearing about Wings, Pistons, more Wings.. here you folks are talking Penguins, Steelers. I wonder if anyone else follows two such crappy teams.. Lions & Pirates. :oops:

I always thought so too, but I saw a Don Cherry segment on ESPN the other day, and he was saying how the Red Wings games aren't even selling out. I guess there are whole sections that are empty during the playoffs. I couldn't believe it. He went on to say that it isn't bc of the poor economy either, because the Pistons, Lions, and Tigers are all selling out games. I don't get it.

And when it comes to liking sucky teams, count me in. I am a Bills, Sabres, and St Bonaventure Bonnies (ever heard of them?) fan through and through. I am from Western NY if you couldn't tell. I moved to Pitt last summer and starter following the Pirates. Go Bucs.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:20 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

While I could see that concern from an outsider, however it is pretty evident here that the Jackets are here to stay. They were very close to putting a winning team on the ice this season, finishing two games under .500, which may not sound like much, it is a huge improvement and reason for hope for this franchise. This included their best start yet and throughout most of the season they were very competitive with the Central division, which was extremely tight since the likes of St. Louis and Chicago were in a very similar circumstance as the CBJ. The overriding reason for this success? A real head coach in Ken Hitchcock. Gerrard Galant, God bless the guy and his efforts, had no business being the head coach of a National Hockey League team. Fine in other positions, but nowhere near those heights. And finally, Doug MacLean (1st GM/Prez) was fired and Scott Howson is now in. I knew Howson from his days with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs, our local ECHL (who I'm a STH of) affiliate.

Core group of young players? Absolutely. Rick Nash, Nic Zherdev, Rusty Klesla, the breakout success of Pascal Leclaire, an All-Star stub who led the league in shut outs for a good portion of last year, and his problems staying healthy is really a large reason they didn't finish as fine as they started.

Nationwide Arena is IMO the best arena to visit in the league, and this is coming off experience at about 15 of them. I live in Cincinnati and make it up to 5-6 games there per year. The place is just beautiful and the atmosphere for hockey in Columbus is great, from the Frog and Bear Bar to the "arena district" area in downtown C-Bus. Even despite the losing seasons, it is still a great hockey atmosphere. Attendance statistically drops towards the end of the season (as it should with losing seasons), however in 07 they finished RIGHT behind Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:24 pm 

Pascal Leclaire is a special kind of player. He's from Montreal and I wish the Habs had him. The Montreal organization was stupid for trading their goaltender near the end of the season (though Carey Price is gonna be great!) They should have waited until the off season to unload him. I think

Anyway fans on WDFN are saying that the Red Wings are a better defensive team. I have no idea. Anyway this is the page of the most knowledgeable hockey fanatic on the station (he loves the Canadiens too.) He's funny as heck and he totally respects the Pittsburgh Penguins. http://www.wdfn.com/pages/sean.html?_show

I wish I could hear some Pittsburgh sports talk shows.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:28 pm 

Ollie wrote:
Pascal Leclaire is a special kind of player. He's from Montreal and I wish the Habs had him. The Montreal organization was stupid for trading their goaltender near the end of the season (though Carey Price is gonna be great!) They should have waited until the off season to unload him. I think

Agreed on Price, I'm also interested to see what happens with Halak. I honestly believe that Cedrick Desjardins could be a NHL-caliber goaltender in the future, he spent most of last year and some of this season here before going back up with Hamilton. Last year he had a couple of REALLY bad outings when called up, this year he put together a series of good wins and kept the 'Dogs in a lot of games later in the year. He was able to rejoin the Clones for the playoffs and has played great as anticipated. As for Leclaire, I'm just praying he can stay healthy next year. That really (and probably will) could mean whether they broke the losing season streak or not.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:53 pm 

TheShark wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

While I could see that concern from an outsider, however it is pretty evident here that the Jackets are here to stay. They were very close to putting a winning team on the ice this season, finishing two games under .500, which may not sound like much, it is a huge improvement and reason for hope for this franchise. This included their best start yet and throughout most of the season they were very competitive with the Central division, which was extremely tight since the likes of St. Louis and Chicago were in a very similar circumstance as the CBJ. The overriding reason for this success? A real head coach in Ken Hitchcock. Gerrard Galant, God bless the guy and his efforts, had no business being the head coach of a National Hockey League team. Fine in other positions, but nowhere near those heights. And finally, Doug MacLean (1st GM/Prez) was fired and Scott Howson is now in. I knew Howson from his days with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs, our local ECHL (who I'm a STH of) affiliate.

Core group of young players? Absolutely. Rick Nash, Nic Zherdev, Rusty Klesla, the breakout success of Pascal Leclaire, an All-Star stub who led the league in shut outs for a good portion of last year, and his problems staying healthy is really a large reason they didn't finish as fine as they started.

Nationwide Arena is IMO the best arena to visit in the league, and this is coming off experience at about 15 of them. I live in Cincinnati and make it up to 5-6 games there per year. The place is just beautiful and the atmosphere for hockey in Columbus is great, from the Frog and Bear Bar to the "arena district" area in downtown C-Bus. Even despite the losing seasons, it is still a great hockey atmosphere. Attendance statistically drops towards the end of the season (as it should with losing seasons), however in 07 they finished RIGHT behind Pittsburgh.

I'm glad to hear that you've got the young players. If they can put a winning team on the ice soon, then the franchise should be just fine. I think that it's tough for a pro franchise in any sport to establish itself in a big time college sports town like Columbus. The college teams tend to dominate the competition.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 am 

Who gives a shtt about the Columbus whatevers?
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 am 

Mike&Mike on ESPN just had an interview with Crosby. Hockey is barely mentioned. I'm surprised they did not ask him who he liked in the NBA playoffs or if the Yankees or Redsox would win their division.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:34 am 

Detroit fans have the Pistons playing at home on Sat & Mon(same as the Pens/Wings)and the same time on Wed as the Pens/Wings)
VS/NBC sure know how to get ratings. The two host cities will draw the most viewers, yet they will have Detroit split. Boston is a hockey town too.
Nice marketing plan NHL