Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Worst Steelers draft in a long time
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:19 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Piratefan13 wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Interesting position you are taking here BH... hmmm Maybe you should take your own advice for the boys across the parking lot.


What advice?


How about judging the Pirates 3 or 4 years from now when Huntington has had his chance to effectively establish his system?


In my best BH impersonation:

"They have been bad for 15 years. You don't think that is long enough? I will completely refuse to acknowledge the fact that it was the previous GM's complete inability to evaluate talent that has gotten us here and instead harp on why we don't just start spending more money. Also, Frank Zappa rules."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Worst Steelers draft in a long time
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 385
Piratefan13 wrote:

How about judging the Pirates 3 or 4 years from now when Huntington has had his chance to effectively establish his system?


I'll give you that. However with the Pirates lack of talent from majors to minors, even if they draft a stud or two, they'll need more talent to win. If I was the GM, I'd be trading whatever talent that wont be here in 2 or 3 years for as many prospects as possible. Clean house. So far its the same stinky shack of a team.

Thats the difference with the Steelers...they have maintained enough talent that even when some drafts were not productive...they still could compete to win and have not had long periods of losing.. The NFL has a cap too so the money is not a reason to draft a player like it has been for the baseball on the cheap owners of the Pirates.

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Worst Steelers draft in a long time
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
bullishhitter wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

How about judging the Pirates 3 or 4 years from now when Huntington has had his chance to effectively establish his system?


I'll give you that. However with the Pirates lack of talent from majors to minors, even if they draft a stud or two, they'll need more talent to win. If I was the GM, I'd be trading whatever talent that wont be here in 2 or 3 years for as many prospects as possible. Clean house. So far its the same stinky shack of a team.

Thats the difference with the Steelers...they have maintained enough talent that even when some drafts were not productive...they still could compete to win and have not had long periods of losing.. The NFL has a cap too so the money is not a reason to draft a player like it has been for the baseball on the cheap owners of the Pirates.


I agree.

I wish the Pirates could be more like the Steelers in personnel decisions and maintaining talent. First things first though, the Pirates have to dig themselves out of this tremendous hole made by Mr. Bonifay and Mr. Littlefield. You are right, our talent levels are scarce at EVERY level of this organization.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Worst Steelers draft in a long time
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:45 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Drafting a running back and big target reciever like Sweed will have ben get sacked less often and he will be able to get rid of the ball quicker.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Worst Steelers draft in a long time
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:21 pm 
Ryann wrote:
Drafting a running back and big target reciever like Sweed will have ben get sacked less often and he will be able to get rid of the ball quicker.


So would drafting a lineman. I love the picks of Sweet and Mendenhall but you need to get a lineman in there too. I can't believe they drafted two linebackers high.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Worst Steelers draft in a long time
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:16 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:14 am
Posts: 2
Another thing you must look at is what was out there when they drafted in the first round. When it got to us other teams were pulling linemen out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds and drafting them in the first.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits