Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Keystone State
Hard to believe this young team is there already. Ray Shero has done an outstanding job and you have to give the Craig Patrick regime some credit, too.

Bottom line, this is an exciting time in Pittsburgh sports.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 385
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5515
Location: Pittsburgh
bucco boy wrote:
Hard to believe this young team is there already. Ray Shero has done an outstanding job and you have to give the Craig Patrick regime some credit, too.

Bottom line, this is an exciting time in Pittsburgh sports.

Amen to that. I said at the time that the Hossa trade was one of the ballsiest trades I'd ever seen, and it looks like Shero was dead on in evaluating his team's potential.

I'm glad that you noted the contributions of Craig Patrick. Look at this list of players that Patrick acquired:

Crosby (a no brainer, I know)
Malkin
Kennedy
Talbot
Malone
Gonchar
Letang
Orpik
Scuderi
Whitney
Fleury (a lot of people thought he was nuts to take a goalie with the number 1 pick)
Sabourin

He left quite a legacy behind, didn't he?

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3408
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Craig Patrick and Ray Shero both deserve the credit as architects of this current Penguin team. Well done to Michel Therrien and the coaching staff too.

I haven't had this feeling since we won the Cups in the early 90's and I think this Penguin team is much better than those teams.

A great time in Pittsburgh sports history. Go Pens! Bring the Stanley Cup back to Pittsburgh again!


ImageImageImageImageImageImage



Image

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:00 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
The bar we went here in Toronto, The Loose Moose (named after my buddies' ex-wife, or so he says :shock: :lol: ) was packed with Pens fans.

And yes, Pgh is a great hockey town, but man, its 20 times better here in Toronto (colder, but better). Tuesday we are skipping out of the conference to do the Hockey Hall of Fame in the afternoon and catch the Jays at night.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5515
Location: Pittsburgh
bassoondirector wrote:
Craig Patrick and Ray Shero both deserve the credit as architects of this current Penguin team. Well done to Michel Therrien and the coaching staff too.

I haven't had this feeling since we won the Cups in the early 90's and I think this Penguin team is much better than those teams.

Wow, I'm not ready to go that far yet. This team has a deeper defense, but I don't think that they measure up at forward or in the net.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 385
Mike Lange Victory

http://www.myxertones.com/ringtone:489560/

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:21 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
sisyphus wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:
Craig Patrick and Ray Shero both deserve the credit as architects of this current Penguin team. Well done to Michel Therrien and the coaching staff too.

I haven't had this feeling since we won the Cups in the early 90's and I think this Penguin team is much better than those teams.

Wow, I'm not ready to go that far yet. This team has a deeper defense, but I don't think that they measure up at forward or in the net.


I tend to agree, but the differences in my opinion, are not as great as some people may think. I tried to get the lines right, but went off of memory so I can guarantee you some of the ordering is incorrect.

Code:
C   91/92        07/08
    Lemieux      Crosby
    Francis      Malkin
    Trottier     Staal
    Hrdina       Talbot


The 92 team wins this battle. Hard to argue against three HOFers, but Crosby and Malkin are potential future HOFers and Staal may be more valuable than the aging Trottier was.

Code:
RW  91/92        07/08
    Jagr         Hossa
    Tocchet      Sykora
    Mullen       Dupuis


I go with 92..

Code:
LW  91/92        07/08
    Stevens      Malone
    Borque       Ruutu
    Errey        Roberts


Malone is good, but he ain't no Kevin Stevens that's for sure. 92 wins this one as well. I didn't even put Loney on the list.

Code:
D   91/92          07/08
    Murphy         Gonchar
    Ulf Samuelson  Whitney
    K Samuelson    Orpik
    Stanton        Gill
    Paek           Letang
    Jennings       Scuderi


This is a lot tougher. I think I'd take Murphy over Gonchar, but after that things tighten-up. I think I'd go with 08.

Code:
G   91/92          07/08
    Barrasso       Fleury


Jury is still out on this one, Fleury is playing great right now, but Barrasso wins by default.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5515
Location: Pittsburgh
That's pretty much how I see it. Stanton, Paek and Jenning couldn't even make the 2008 team, but the forwards were better in the glory days. I do think that the gap between Barasso and Fleury is a lot wider than you do, though. Barasso was much bigger and a great puck handler. Fleury might catch up with him, but he has a way to go yet.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4270
Location: Zelienople, PA
sisyphus wrote:
That's pretty much how I see it. Stanton, Paek and Jenning couldn't even make the 2008 team,


You got that right. But,they were servicable. This defense is beyond servicable. They are very good.

Quote:
but the forwards were better in the glory days.


Only if you discard little things like backchecking. That team's forwards would give up two shots, to get five. This group is just as talented, but plays a much, much better 2-way game.

Quote:
I do think that the gap between Barasso and Fleury is a lot wider than you do, though. Barasso was much bigger and a great puck handler. Fleury might catch up with him, but he has a way to go yet.


He does, but he's making it closer by the series.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Great for the Penguins and the city of Pittsburgh. I admit I was a little nervous when they got the Senators first round after last year's playoff stint, but they proved me wrong rather quickly.

Hockey is my favorite sport, and as a lot of young growing hockey fans, the Pens were an easy team to like growing up. So back then, I considered them my favorite. I followed them to about the time when Edzo took over as head coach, boy were those painful times to be a Pens fan. Pre-Fleury/Crosby/Malkin, but Ryan Malone was still there, and was the leading-scorer! Along with, geez ... Rico Fata maybe? Scary. And we had the goalie tandem of Jean Sebastien-Aubin and Sebastien Caron. Going off on a mini-rant here, but I still feel like Caron had/has the capability to be a great full-time NHL netminder. I really looked his play and style, despite the horrible record he had in the 'Burgh, which obviously had a lot to do with the team in front of him.

Anyway, it is a shame that I stopped following right before something really special happened. I may be a devout Blue Jackets fan now (and have been since 2000, and also follow a lot of ECHL and AHL minor league hockey in the area), but am thrilled to see the Pens make another Stanley Cup run. I caught a handful of the Rangers/Flyers series games on Versus, look forward to watching a great finals series to cap off a great season. 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:11 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
TheShark wrote:
Hockey is my favorite sport, and as a lot of young growing hockey fans, the Pens were an easy team to like growing up. So back then, I considered them my favorite. I followed them to about the time when Edzo took over as head coach, boy were those painful times to be a Pens fan. Pre-Fleury/Crosby/Malkin, but Ryan Malone was still there, and was the leading-scorer! Along with, geez ... Rico Fata maybe? Scary. And we had the goalie tandem of Jean Sebastien-Aubin and Sebastien Caron.


I think Dicky Tarnstrom led the team in points the year before the lockout?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 385
TheShark wrote:
Great for the Penguins and the city of Pittsburgh. I admit I was a little nervous when they got the Senators first round after last year's playoff stint, but they proved me wrong rather quickly.

Hockey is my favorite sport, and as a lot of young growing hockey fans, the Pens were an easy team to like growing up. So back then, I considered them my favorite. I followed them to about the time when Edzo took over as head coach, boy were those painful times to be a Pens fan. Pre-Fleury/Crosby/Malkin, but Ryan Malone was still there, and was the leading-scorer! Along with, geez ... Rico Fata maybe? Scary. And we had the goalie tandem of Jean Sebastien-Aubin and Sebastien Caron. Going off on a mini-rant here, but I still feel like Caron had/has the capability to be a great full-time NHL netminder. I really looked his play and style, despite the horrible record he had in the 'Burgh, which obviously had a lot to do with the team in front of him.

Anyway, it is a shame that I stopped following right before something really special happened. I may be a devout Blue Jackets fan now (and have been since 2000, and also follow a lot of ECHL and AHL minor league hockey in the area), but am thrilled to see the Pens make another Stanley Cup run. I caught a handful of the Rangers/Flyers series games on Versus, look forward to watching a great finals series to cap off a great season. 8-)


It was a dark 5 years for the Pens. It looked like they were becoming the Pirates. But a couple of things happened....1 because they sucked, they were able to draft top talent..and they were lucky landing Crosby. 2 The lock out put an end to the imbalance of payroll and markets like Pgh could be competitive. The cap is going to keep the Pens from keeping the team as is, but their young talent base will be here for many years to come. This may be the most talent you see for the Pens so enjoy, they will not be able to pay everyone.

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5515
Location: Pittsburgh
ZelieMike wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Quote:
but the forwards were better in the glory days.


Only if you discard little things like backchecking. That team's forwards would give up two shots, to get five. This group is just as talented, but plays a much, much better 2-way game.

I've got to disagree. Lemieux, Francis, Trottier, Gilhen, Errey, Bourque, Loney, Mullen and McEachern were all good defensive forwards. The game was more wide open 15 years ago, so the goals allowed were higher. The Pens were 3rd in the NHL in goals allowed in 1992-93, and part of the credit for that belongs to the forwards.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stanley Cup Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
BBF wrote:
TheShark wrote:
Hockey is my favorite sport, and as a lot of young growing hockey fans, the Pens were an easy team to like growing up. So back then, I considered them my favorite. I followed them to about the time when Edzo took over as head coach, boy were those painful times to be a Pens fan. Pre-Fleury/Crosby/Malkin, but Ryan Malone was still there, and was the leading-scorer! Along with, geez ... Rico Fata maybe? Scary. And we had the goalie tandem of Jean Sebastien-Aubin and Sebastien Caron.


I think Dicky Tarnstrom led the team in points the year before the lockout?


You are correct, Malone was actually 3rd. I guess what I was thinking of was that he led the team in GOALS with 22.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits