Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spygate, the NFL "scandal" that refuses to die
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:11 pm 

Boston Herald is being roasted here (at least on talk radio) for its Super Bowl Eve story that stirred this whole situation up again. As y'all may have heard, the newspaper apologized on its front page yesterday to the Patriots, their fans, and everyone else for printing a report that turned out not to be true.

But just as Patriot Nation was telling itself that the agony was finally over, a Herald columnist -- yep, same newspaper -- wrote this in today's edition:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1094171&format=&page=2&listingType=pats#articleFull

Now this columnist is having a new rectal orifice reamed for him.

And then the Associated Press weighed in with the former Patriot videographer's side of the story:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1094172

I have no idea where this all will end up. But as one of the board's resident Patriot-haters, I'm lovin' it.

Post subject: Re: Spygate, the NFL "scandal" that refuses to die
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:16 am 

I'm just getting sick of how the media uses the suffix "-gate" every time they want to give a pithy name to some scandal. It really shows a lack of creativity.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:52 am 

The seeming lack of outrage from the rest of the NFL leads me to believe that they were all at it.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:32 am 
 WWW  Profile

This is the story that sports talk radio won't let die.

November 29, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:36 am 

Bertie wrote:
The seeming lack of outrage from the rest of the NFL leads me to believe that they were all at it.

Maybe. I think the big issue here is money. If the NFL is viewed by the public with a lack of credibility with cheating going on, they will be turned off and the NFL and all of the owners can kiss the golden goose(Big TV revenue)bye bye.
They're getting a break with the anti trust exemption. I dont like the government involved with the NFL when there are more important issues. That said, when you destroy tapes and evidence, this has the look of a cover up. The government can put some pressure on them because there is a conflict of interest. There is no check and balance.
Beware of what you wish for. If it comes out that there was much more to this story, you may be shopping with your wife or doing house chores on Sunday afternoons

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:51 pm 

Bertie wrote:

Could be. Frankly, I think it's a stupid rule, but it's a rule, so they've got to enforce it. I think it's more likely that the teams aren't making a fuss because they don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs by calling the integrity of the league into question.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:54 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Bertie wrote:

Maybe. I think the big issue here is money. If the NFL is viewed by the public with a lack of credibility with cheating going on, they will be turned off and the NFL and all of the owners can kiss the golden goose(Big TV revenue)bye bye.
They're getting a break with the anti trust exemption. I dont like the government involved with the NFL when there are more important issues. That said, when you destroy tapes and evidence, this has the look of a cover up. The government can put some pressure on them because there is a conflict of interest. There is no check and balance.
Beware of what you wish for. If it comes out that there was much more to this story, you may be shopping with your wife or doing house chores on Sunday afternoons

I'd rather be doing chores than watching any non-Steelers NFL game, that's for sure. They've sold out the football for commercials to such an extent that I can't stand watching the games any more. I seldom make it all the way through Steelers games.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:28 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
Bertie wrote:

Destroy tapes and evidence? Are you trying to say this is a criminal investigation? Please: it's a friggin football game. I have serious doubts that the DOJ is really interested in this. The only reason people like Arlan Spector are getting involved is the same reason Henry Waxman and his goons are investigating steroid use: it's pandering to the public.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:29 am 

Bertie wrote:

Which again makes me question why it's considered against the rules.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:04 pm 

Saturday, May 17, 2008
Suspending Belichick will bring closure to Spygate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Gregg Easterbrook
Special to Page 2

Footnote: In Friday's Washington Post, NFL reporter Mark Maske quotes former Giants quarterback Phil Simms contending that stolen signals are no guarantee of victory: "'I've been in games where we knew every signal, every call by the other team, and we still lost,' Simms said by telephone yesterday. 'We [the Giants] had the San Diego Chargers' signals in 1980. We knew every signal. We knew every play. We were calling out what they were going to do: 'Here comes this. Here comes that.' They still scored 44 points.'" After more Simms quotes, the article moved to other matters. Who was on the New York Giants' coaching staff in 1980? Bill Belichick and Ernie Adams.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:42 pm 

Please, don't post entire articles here. One, it's copyright infringement, and two, it's annoying. Just link the article and if we want to read it, we will.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:50 pm 

Well, having reopened this issue, perhaps I should post the URL to the latest column everybody's talking about up here. It pretty well sums up my sentiments about the Patriots:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/05/18/with_belichick_the_cover_up_is_most_revealing/

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:35 pm 

Thanks for the article Bob
What Bob Ryan does not mention is that the NFL front office is part of the cover up....and as he stated the cover up may be worse than the wrong that they are trying sweep under the rug. One thing for sure...public opinion is against Belicheat and the Pats....and if the NFL does not want that to turn against the league, they should make Belicheat and the Pats accountable for their actions