Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NCAA Football Playoffs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:51 pm 

This is what they should be, 8 team playoff.

The teams would be the conference champions of

Big Ten - Wisconsin
Big12 - Kansas State
Pac12 - Stanford
ACC - Florida State
SEC - Bama

At Large #1 - The highest ranked conference champion/independent from

Big East
Mountain West
MAC
WAC
C-USA
Sun Belt
Independent (obviously wouldn't be a conference champion)

Notre Dame

The remaining 2 At Large spots go to the highest ranked teams that are not already in the playoff.

Florida and Oregon

Seeding would come from the overall rankings.

So if applied to this year the playoff would look like this.

1 ND (At Large) vs. 8 Wisconsin (Big 10 Champ)
2 Bama (SEC Champ) vs 7 Florida State (ACC Champ)
3 Florida (At Large) vs 6 Standford (PAC 12 Champ)
4 Oregon (At Large) vs 5 Kansas State (BIg 12 Champ)

Just for fun.

Post subject: Re: NCAA Football Playoffs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 pm 

Don't college football teams play enough games during the regular season? Your proposal would add potentially 3 more games to two teams' schedules during the coldest months of the year. When do these players get to become students again?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:59 pm 

Willton wrote:
Don't college football teams play enough games during the regular season? Your proposal would add potentially 3 more games to two teams' schedules during the coldest months of the year. When do these players get to become students again?

The other three classifications of NCAA football do it and there aren't any issues. With the setup proposed by rellieme, four teams would play one additional game, two teams would play two and two teams would play three. The other 120 teams wouldn't play any extra games. Seems okay with me to have a legit NCAA champion crowned out the field and not by a computer or coach or sportswriter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:03 pm 

Willton wrote:

What evidence do you have that the NCAA cares about the players/student-athletes?

I believe the question that is more pertinent is whether they can make more money with a playoff system vs. the bowl series.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 pm 

BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:

What evidence do you have that the NCAA cares about the players/student-athletes?

None, obviously. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:50 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Willton wrote:

The other three classifications of NCAA football do it and there aren't any issues.

I went to a D1 school, so I'm not aware of this. Please enlighten me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 pm 

BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:

I believe the question that is more pertinent is whether they can make more money with a playoff system vs. the bowl series.

Exactly. And the answer is of course yes, for the sport overall. What's holding up the change is that the people who are making money now may not be the same people making money later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 am 

All the points and issues raised by all of you are valid. I enjoy the playoffs in the other three divisions, but I don't think Div I will in the near future go over to a true playoff format for the reasons some of you have already stated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:21 am 

Willton wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Willton wrote:

The other three classifications of NCAA football do it and there aren't any issues.

I went to a D1 school, so I'm not aware of this. Please enlighten me.

Division I-AA (or now known as FCS), Division II and Division III have full tournaments. Each one is set up a little different i.e. FCS has 20 teams, 24 for d-2 and 32 for d-3. here is the bracket for the FCS. You can also see the other divisions on the top.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/fcs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:19 pm 

Willton wrote:

As BB pointed out, the other divisions do this, as a YSU alum when Tressel was there, it is awesome. It was 16 teams back then so 4 games to the title and it was played largely during winter recess so no classes to deal with.