Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: PSAC/Div II Football
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:41 pm 

Lenoir-Rhyne Football Wins First Round Playoff Game Over Fort Valley State, 21-6
November 17, 2012
L-R to play South Atlantic Conference-foe Carson-Newman in the second round next Saturday at Noon in Jefferson City, Tenn.

L-R sophomore fullback Isaiah Whitaker rushed for a game-high 117 yards with two scores in a 21-6 win over Fort Valley State Saturday afternoon in an NCAA Division II Playoff game at Moretz Stadium.
Box Score
Hickory, N.C. - The Lenoir-Rhyne Football Team (9-2) advanced to the second round of the 2012 NCAA Division II Playoffs with a 21-6 victory over Fort Valley State (8-4) Saturday afternoon at Moretz Stadium.
L-R, winners of eight straight games, moves on to face Carson-Newman (8-2) next Saturday at Noon in Jefferson City, Tenn.
The two South Atlantic Conference squads faced off on September 15 with the Eagles prevailing by a 47-23 score at home. L-R has not lost since the setback to Carson-Newman.
L-R sophomore fullback Isaiah Whitaker (Salisbury, N.C.) rushed for a game-high 117 yards with two scores to lead the Bears in their first postseason appearance in 50 years.
Junior defensive back Michael Green (Kingsland, Ga.) added a 100-yard interception return for a touchdown as L-R won its first postseason game since a 20-7 win over Northern State (S.D.) at home on December 1, 1962. The 1962 squad would eventually fall in the NAIA National Championship game.
Whitaker's 57-yard touchdown run midway through the first quarter proved to be the lone score in the first half for either squad.
Whitaker's second score of the contest, a one-yard run, was set up by a 99-yard kickoff return by sophomore halfback Jarrod Spears (Bunnlevel, N.C.) to start the second half.
The Bears pushed the advantage to 21-0 on Green's interception return for a score with three minutes remaining in the third quarter before the Wildcats finally got on the board in the final stanza.
Fort Valley State quarterback Antonio Henton (Fort Valley, Ga.) found wideout Stephen Stroman (Lithonia, Ga.) for an 11-yard touchdown reception with 9:57 remaining in the contest. Henton finished with 242 yards passing in the losing effort.
Lenoir-Rhyne, which rushed for 243 yards in the game, held Fort Valley State on downs in the Wildcats' final drive of the contest and possessed the ball for the last five minutes to take the win.
Senior linebacker Demetrius Green (Cedartown, Ga.) led the defense with a game-high 12 tackles as the Bears held the Wildcats without a score four times in the red zone.
Lenoir-Rhyne also won its 12th straight game at home and picked up its most wins in the regular season since an 11-1 mark during the 1962 campaign.

Courtesy of Lenoir Rhyne Sports Information

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:09 pm 

Div II Playoff Schedule for Saturday, November 24

Super Region I

IUP (3) at New Haven (2)
Shippensburg (4) at Winston-Salem (1)

Super Region IV

West Texas A & M (6) at Ashland (2
Indianapolis (4) at CSU Pueblo (1)

Super Region II

Lenoir-Rhyne (3) at Carson-Newman (2)
West Alabama (4) at Valdosta State (1)

Super Region III

Henderson State (2) at Missouri Western (3)
Northwest Missouri State (4) at Minnesota State (1)

Husky's picks are as follows:

IUP's defense stops New Haven. IUP is going to the super-regional final
Shippensburg has run wild to victory for the last time this year, but Zulli and company will beat #1 seed Winston-Salem in a close game.

Ashland at home defeats West Texas A & M.
CSU Pueblo ends surprising Indianapolis' dream season

Carson-Newman defeats Lenoir-Rhyne for a second time this year.
Valdosta State wins at home against West Alabama.

Missouri Western is for real and will beat Henderson State
It's hard to go up against Northwest Missouri State in the playoffs, and I have finally decided not to do so. I think NWMSU with its long history of playoff success is not yet ready this year to exit the post season. The Bearcats win, but it won't be easy. Incidentally, this is probably the best match-up of all the 8 games.

Last edited by Husky on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 pm 

Now that the first week of the NCAA Div playoffs are behind us and eight of the 24 teams have been eliminated, it is time to take a closer look at what lies ahead. Obviously, everybody should be impressed by Shippensburg's enormous win over Bloomsburg. IUP had a little more difficult time of it playing an always tough Shepherd team. I will only say that Shippensburg has only played one decent defensive team all year, that being IUP and they got shut down to the tune of 41-10. One has to admire the ominous offense of "Ship", and I don't think when they get down to Winston-Salem things will turn out as they did against Bloomsburg. At the same time, I think W-S is overrated, and I think Shippensburg will win the game by a narrow margin. I also think IUP will beat New Haven, thanks to their tenacious defense. It was no accident that they put a hurting on Shippensburg in the PSAC championship game. I also think New Haven is playing in a weaker conference than IUP and has not had to face as stiff a competition week in and week out as IUP. I see IUP in the Super Region I championship game/national quarterfinals. IfI were a betting man, I would say it will be a rematch against Shippensburg. I guess what I am saying is that my money is on the PSAC.

Down south, I think Valdosta State will come out on top and win the Super Region. History and tradition are on the side of Valdosta State, but more importantly they have been improving and on the upswing all year. I respect the other three teams remaining--Lenoir-Rhyne, Carson-Newman, and West Alabama, but I just don't see Valdosta--a team with substantial talent losing to any of the other three remaining teams--especially at home.

In Super Region III, I don't think Henderson State has a shot against Missouri Western, who has beaten some very good teams in the regular season. Probably, the best game of all in week two features Northwest Missouri State playing Minnesota State. NWMSU has "pulled out" a couple of big wins this year, is the most experienced team in the Div II playoffs, and after much vacillation on my part I have changed my mind and am going with the Bearcats. This is by far not the best Bearcat team to come down the road in recent years, but I think they are good enough to get by this second round even on the road.

Lastly, in Super Region IV it appears that Indianapolis is a lot better than I thought they were. Nevertheless, I still think the #1 team CSU Pueblo playing at home will prevail. As for West Texas A & M winning at Ashland, I don't think that is in the cards either; as Ashland has played solid all season whereas WTAM has had some lapses here and there. Ashland should win at home. It is, however, an interesting game and is probably the second best match-up in Week Two. Ciao. See you all on Saturday! If there is a game in your area, Go! You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Husky on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:57 am 

The Ashland Eagles are undefeated and West Texas A & M has given up a lot of points to high ranked teams, but both teams have efficient QBs.
Dustin Vaughan of A&M has thrown 37 touchdowns with 9 ints. Taylor Housewright has 30 TDs with only ONE interception for the Eagles.

NW Missouri State-Minnesota St-Mankato should be interesting.. both teams have prolific offenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:42 pm 

Ollie wrote:
The Ashland Eagles are undefeated and West Texas A & M has given up a lot of points to high ranked teams, but both teams have efficient QBs.
Dustin Vaughan of A&M has thrown 37 touchdowns with 9 ints. Taylor Housewright has 30 TDs with only ONE interception for the Eagles.

NW Missouri State-Minnesota St-Mankato should be interesting.. both teams have prolific offenses.

I have been on the fence with the NWMSU-Minnesota State game, but I have finally decided to go with the Bearcats.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:40 pm 

November 24th, 2012 Scoreboard
*All Games Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Final 11:00 am
West Texas A&M (13) 33
Ashland (7) 28
Final 12:00 pm
Lenoir-Rhyne (22) 35
Carson-Newman (21) 38
IUP (12) 17
New Haven (4) 14
West Alabama (13) 21
Valdosta State (17) 49
Final 1:00 pm
Missouri Western (8) 45
Henderson State (9) 21
Final OT2 1:00 pm
Northwest Missouri (10) 35
Minnesota State (2) 38
Final 1:00 pm
Shippensburg (14) 14
Winston-Salem (3) 37
Final 2:00 pm
Indianapolis 7
CSU-Pueblo (1) 28

Husky picked 5 of the 8 games correctly. He missed the mark on the Shippensburg-Winston-Salem, West Texas A & M-Ashland, and the
Northwest Missouri State-Minnesota State games. His record now for playoff games is 12-4. Nest week's match-ups see IUP against Winston-Salem, Carson-Newman against Valdosta State, Missouri Western versus Minnesota State, and CSU Pueblo meets West Texas A & M. We are down to just four playoff games next weekend. More details on today's games will follow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:43 pm 

Second Half Shutout Lifts IUP to 17-14 Win Over New Haven in Second Round of NCAA Playoffs

Division II's number one ranked defense came up big when it had to.
Ryan Rebholz, Sports Information Director
11/24/2012 3:51:00 PM

Box Score

WEST HAVEN, CT – The IUP defense forced an incomplete pass in the end zone as time expired to hold on to a dramatic 17-14 win over New Haven in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Division II Football Championships on Saturday afternoon.

The play started with eight seconds remaining from the IUP 31-yard line as a slew of Crimson Hawks defenders helped force the incompletion on a Ryan Osiecki pass to Jason Thompson in the back of the end zone.

It capped an exciting last 3:40 of action that saw New Haven begin the drive from its own six-yard line and included a fourth down conversion at the IUP 36-yard line.

Punting from the New Haven 41, Pat Smith (Hollidaysburg/Hollidaysburg) had perfect placement on his kick to give the Chargers a long field with less than four minutes remaining. A 16-yard scramble by Osiecki on second down quickly got the ball out to the 28 before a 10-yard pass two plays later gave the Chargers a first and 10 at their own 43 yard line.

Another first down conversion moved the ball into IUP territory but on first and 10 Shane Meisner (Greensburg/Hempfield ) broke through the line and sacked Osiecki back to the Crimson Hawks 49. Meisner also forced a fumble on the sack as he chased Osiecki from behind, but the Chargers fell on the ball to extend the game with 1:02 left.

Osiecki then completed three straight passes, with the third being a five yarder to Mike DeCaro on fourth down to give the Chargers a first down at the IUP 31 with 14 seconds left. The very next play Osiecki was nearly brought down again, scrambling out of the pocket and getting rid of the ball just in time, setting up the final play of the game.

The nation's number one defense played big when it counted, forcing a fumble and four punts from New Haven in the second half to keep the high flying Chargers offense out of the end zone in the game's final 30 minutes of play.

The Chargers had the ball to start the second half but Jerrell McFadden (Manassas, VA/Osbourn) would recover a DeCaro fumble forced by Chris Brown (Altoona/Bishop Guilfoyle) on the second play of the drive. However, IUP couldn't capitalize and went three-and-out and gave the Chargers the ball back at their own 24-yard line. The ensuing drive by New Haven lasted 14 plays and 7:52 but an incomplete pass on third and 20 by the Chargers led to another punt.

The Crimson Hawks forced another punt at the beginning of the fourth quarter after holding New Haven to a six-yard gain on third and 10 as James Griffin (Wallingford/Strath Haven) came up with the key stop. The following New Haven drive also ended in a punt after IUP forced another third and long.

IUP took the lead for good with 24 seconds to go in the first half on a six-yard touchdown pass from Mike Box (Lawrenceville, GA/Collins Hill) to tight end Tyler Dummermuth (New Philadelphia, OH/New Philadelphia). The key play in the drive came on third and three from the New Haven 46 as Box connected with Salath Williams (Harrisburg/Bishop McDevitt) for 41 yards down the sideline to the Chargers five-yard line. Box would find Dummermuth three plays later in the front corner of the end zone as Brett Ullman (Baltimore, MD/Perry Hall)'s extra point made it 17-14.

The score came on a drive that went 65 yards in 3:33 and answered a New Haven one-yard touchdown pass from Osiecki to Thompson. That drive by the Chargers lasted 8:51 and went 80 yards in 16 plays and included a third and fourth down conversion. Twice IUP had forced New Haven into field goal attempts inside the Crimson Hawks 20-yard line, but three costly penalties helped give the Chargers new life, finally capitalizing with a touchdown.

The Crimson Hawks started the game off with some excitement, as De'Antwan Williams (Woodbridge, VA/Woodbridge) returned the opening kickoff 86 yards to the New Haven seven-yard line. Two plays later Harvie Tuck (Akron, OH/St. Vincent-St. Mary) ran in from three yards out to help give IUP a quick 7-0 lead less than one minute into the game.

Three straight combined drives resulted in zero points before IUP drove down to the New Haven six where Ullman would convert on a 24-yard field goal to give the Crimson Hawks a 10-0 lead with 2:21 left in the first quarter.

New Haven responded on just the third play of its next drive as Osiecki hooked up with Thompson for a 68 yard touchdown pass to make it 10-7.

The Chargers outgained IUP 352-252 and had 20 first downs compared to the Crimson Hawks 10. New Haven also won time of possession 31:23-28:37. However New Haven converted just 5-of-15 third downs and the IUP defense came up with four sacks of Osiecki and forced three fumbles.

Osiecki, who entered the game completing over 70 percent of his passes, completed just 15-of-32 for 194 yards with two touchdowns. Thompson had both of those scores on his only two receptions on the day, totaling 69 yards. DeCaro led New Haven with 54 yards on nine carries while Victor Jones added 45 on the ground.

De'Antwan Williams (Woodbridge, VA/Woodbridge) had 125 yards on 24 carries, including a 41-yarder. He also added a 14-yard reception. Tuck finished with 39 yards on eight carries, including the first quarter score.

Box finished 6-of-13 for 97 yards and a touchdown, with Salath Williams (Harrisburg/Bishop McDevitt) catching two passes for 59 and Dummermuth adding two receptions for 14 yards and a score. Smith punted seven times, averaging 38.1 yards per punt, and pinned New Haven inside the 20 twice.

Defensively, Alexander Berdahl (Ashburn, VA/Bishop O'Connell) led all tacklers with 14 stops, including 12 solo, and had a pair of sacks. Brown finished with nine tackles while he, Meisner, McFadden, Griffin and Johnny Franco (Altoona/Tyrone) all had a pass breakup. Franco and Meisner also each added a sack.

The Crimson Hawks, now 12-1 on the year, entered as the third seed in Super Region One while New Haven (10-1) was the second seed and received a bye in the first round. IUP moved on to the second round after defeating six seed Shepherd 27-17 last weekend.

IUP now moves on to face Winston-Salem State, the top team in the region and second ranked team in the nation next Saturday, December 1 in North Carolina. Kickoff is slated for 12:00 p.m.

Courtesy of IUP Sports Information

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:46 pm 

No. 15 Red Raider Football Falls in NCAA Second Round at No. 2 Winston-Salem State, 37-14

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The No. 15-ranked Shippensburg University football team was unable to overcome the speed and athleticism of undefeated and No. 2-ranked Winston-Salem State in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Division II Football Championships on a cool and windy Saturday afternoon, falling 37-14 from the Rams’ Bowman-Gray Stadium.

Shippensburg finishes the season with an 11-2 record, a PSAC Eastern Division title, its fifth NCAA playoff appearance and its first NCAA playoff victory in over 20 years.

Winston-Salem State (12-0) will host No. 11 IUP next week in the Super Region One championship game; the Crimson Hawks dealt No. 3 New Haven its first loss of the season with a 17-14 road victory on Saturday.

Junior quarterback Zach Zulli finished the day 25-of-56 for 218 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions. Zulli’s second-quarter touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Trevor Harman was his 54th and final of 2012, tying the Division-II single-season record set in 2000 by Valdosta State’s Dusty Bonner.

Zulli finishes the season with a PSAC-record 4,747 yards passing, breaking former East Stroudsburg quarterback Jimmy Terwilliger’s record of 4,571 in 2005. His 56 passing attempts also gave him another conference record of 509 passing attempts on the season (breaking former West Chester signal-caller Dave MacDonald’s 504 in 1994). Updated information on SU’s Harlon Hill-nominated quarterback will be provided Monday here.

Two other Red Raiders also set school single-season records on Saturday. Junior defensive end Jake Metz totaled 2.5 sacks to give him a school-record 11.5 on the season – breaking a record (10.0) previously shared by Rob Davis (1991), Ed Brown (1981) and Barry Johnson (1977).

Senior wide receiver Jacob Baskerville hauled in nine passes for 114 yards, giving him 1,405 on the season – a new school record that passed Jamie Ware’s 1,334 in 1999.

Shippensburg added to its school record with its sixth defensive touchdown of the season when sophomore Brian Sourber intercepted a screen pass early in the second quarter and ran 63 yards untouched into the end zone. The extra-point attempt was blocked and made the score 7-6 in WSSU’s favor.

Senior Mike Frenette finished the day with 44 yards rushing on eight carries and five catches for 45 yards to give him 1,729 all-purpose yards on the season and 5,128 on his career. He finishes his career second in all-purpose yards and fourth all-time in career receptions (142) while Baskerville finishes fifth on that list (137).

Sophomore Blair Brooks had two long kickoff returns, including a team season-high 86-yarder at the end of the first half that set up the Raiders’ second touchdown. He finished with 141 all-purpose yards.

The Rams recorded 525 yards of total offense – the second-highest Shippensburg has allowed in a game this season. The Raiders also punted the ball a season-high eight times and gave up five turnovers, another season high. Division-I FCS transfer Anthony Carrothers (Grambling State) threw for 332 yards and three scores, while Jameze Massey hauled in eight receptions for 167 yards and two touchdowns. Maurice Lewis ran for 158 yards and two touchdowns.

It was a historic season for Mark Maciejewski’s Red Raiders in which the team won 11 games (second-most in school history and most since 1981) and either broke or tied 64 school records. SU opened the season with 10 consecutive victories and at one point owned the longest active winning streak in Division II (14 games) and held Super Region One's No. 1 ranking until the final week before the NCAA playoffs.

The loss also marked the final game for a group of 13 Red Raiders who comprised a phenomenal senior class that features Rodney Baltimore, Bryan Barley, Baskerville, Cody Fleming, Frenette, Kevin Herod, Corey Hunt, Saeed Khateeb, Bobby Mullen, Chris Restino, Pat Schuhl, Mark Kahlil Smith and Jeff Tomasetti

Courtesy of Shippensburg Sports Information

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:50 pm 

Valdosta State Runs by West Alabama 49-21

VSU defense limits UWA to 187 total yards
11/24/2012 4:03:00 PM

VALDOSTA, Ga. – Valdosta State allowed West Alabama just 61 yards of total offense in the second half as the 17th-ranked Blazers defeated the Tigers 49-21 in the second round of the NCAA Playoffs Saturday afternoon at Bazemore-Hyder Stadium.

With the win, Valdosta State improves to 9-2 on the season and advances to next week's NCAA Quarterfinals against Carson-Newman. West Alabama ends its season at 9-4.

West Alabama got off to a quick start as it scored a pair of touchdowns in the first six minutes of the contest. The Tigers first score came off the opening kickoff, which Malcolm Butler returned 55 yards to the VSU 31 yard line. Seven plays later, Gary Johnston scored on a four-yard run for a 7-0 UWA lead.

West Alabama again gained favorable field condition for its next score. On VSU's second play of the game, Cedric O'Neal fumbled a screen pass that was recovered by Tiger Shontral Ford on the Valdosta State 11. Johnston again put the Tigers in the end zone as he scored from a yard out to put UWA in front by two touchdowns.

After having West Alabama intercept a pass in the end zone, Valdosta State finally got on the board early in the second quarter as it marched 45 yards on six plays. Following the interception, the VSU defense held and forced a punt, which traveled just 34 yards before going out of bounds on the UWA 45. Austin Scott scored for the Blazers as he ran untouched off right guard from 13 yards away. The extra point was missed right to cut the VSU deficit to 14-6.

The Blazer defense forced another punt on West Alabama's next drive to set up the second Valdosta State score. The Blazers needed six plays to march the 54 yards, a drive that culminated when Cayden Cochran found Seantavious Jones from 15 yards out. Another missed extra point cut the UWA lead to 14-12.

West Alabama got back on track on its ensuing drive as it marched 58 yards on eight plays. Johnston used his arm to put UWA in the end zone as he faked a run before hitting running back Dakota Daniel on a screen pass for 23 yards to establish a 21-12 Tiger lead at the intermission.

After both teams were forced to punt on their opening drives of the second half, Valdosta State grabbed the momentum with two touchdowns in a 21-second span. Scott got the first touchdown when he capped off a 10-play, 87-yard drive with a four-yard scoring run. Cochran hooked up with Regginald Lewis on the two-point conversion try to close Valdosta State to within 21-20.

On the first play from scrimmage on the ensuing UWA drive, Lawrence Virgil hit Tiger running back George Michael Rowe in the back field and stripped the ball loose. Ryan Smith scooped up the ball and returned it 13 yards to the UWA 10 yard line, where Cedric O'Neal scored on the very next play of the game. Lewis and Cochran against hooked up for a two-point conversion to give the Blazers a 28-21 edge.

After a West Alabama punt that was returned to the Tiger 34, O'Neal again scored, this time from nine yards out, on the next VSU possession to cap off a six-play drive to push the Valdosta State advantage to 14 points before adding his third touchdown of the game early in the fourth quarter. Quin Roberson set up the score with a 60-yard punt return that gave the Blazers the ball on the UWA 5. After Cochran gained three yards on a rush, O'Neal finished off the play with a run up the middle to push the Valdosta State lead to 42-21.

Scott closed out the scoring with a 15-yard touchdown run with 4:35 to play in the game.

The Valdosta State defense held the West Alabama offense to five punts, a turnover and two turnover on downs while limiting the Tigers to just one third down conversion, on eight chances, during the second half of play. Meanwhile, the Valdosta State offense rolled up 242 yards of offense in the frame.

Scott finished with 133 yards rushing and three touchdowns on 20 carries while O'Neal carried the ball 12 times for 50 yards and three scores. Cochran completed 23-of-33 passes for 240 yards and a touchdown. VSU finished with 458 total yards of offense in the game, including 218 rushing and 240 through the air.

Jeremy Grable tallied a game-high 11 tackles for Valdosta State while Virgil finished with a career-high seven tackles, including five tackles for loss and three sacks.

Rowe rushed for 54 yards on 15 carries while Johnston gained 27 yards on 18 carries and passed for 73 yards while completing 6-of-11 passes. Ben Brooks and Deon Lacey each had seven tackles to lead the West Alabama defense. West Alabama had 187 total yards of offense, including 69 rushing and 118 through the air.

Valdosta State, the Super Region 2 No. 1 seed, and Carson-Newman, the Region's No. 2 seed, will play next Saturday at Noon. If Valdosta State hosts the game, which will be announced on Sunday, November 25, tickets for the game will go on sale on Monday, November 26 at 9:00 a.m. in the Athletic Office in The Complex. Blazer season ticket holders will have until the close of business on Wednesday to claim their seats for the game.

Courtesy of Valdosta State Sports Information

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:55 pm 

Eagles withstand L-R rally, move on to regional finals

JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. – Carson-Newman (9-2) withstood a 28-point second half comeback from Lenoir-Rhyne (9-3) to hold on for a 38-35 second round win in the NCAA Division II Playoffs.

Carson-Newman advances the quarterfinals to face top-seeded Valdosta State on the road after the Blazers knocked out West Alabama 49-21.

The Eagles trailed L-R 35-31 following an Austin Beaty seven-yard plunge up the middle for the Bears with 8:51 left in the fourth. However, Carson-Newman followed that with 14-play, 66-yard drive capped by a Brandon Haywood (Rockmart, Ga.) around the left side of the line to set the final at 38-35.

"We had so many choices to make today," Carson-Newman head coach Ken Sparks said. "There were so many times where we could have backed up or stepped up.

"There were so many times we could have disintegrated from within or we could glue together and decide that we were going to get it done. I'm proud of our kids for getting it done."

The Eagles had the lead at the break 24-7 after keeping the Bears out of the end zone on the final drive of the half.

Second team All-SAC quarterback Rueben Haynes fired a pass along the numbers on the right sideline to Artis Gilmore within five yards of the end zone. But Oliver Davis (Acworth, Ga.) and Issac Kinley (Johnson City, Tenn.) turned the Bear wideout back while also draining the five remaining seconds in the first half off the clock.

"It kept them from getting a full burst of momentum and gave us a full shot of momentum when we were struggling to get it," Sparks said.

Lenoir-Rhyne outrushed the Eagles for a third consecutive contest in a battle of option styles 425-397, but the Eagles wound up with more total yards 504-468. The yards on the ground and total offense were the most the Bears had given up all season. L-R's rush defense was ranked 10th in the nation entering the contest, giving up 90 yards/game.

The game saw six different players crest the 100-yard threshold, three from each team. Brandon Baker (Miami, Fla.) led all players with 145 yards on 24 carries, while Tyron Douglas (Clover, S.C.) and Haywood followed suit with century mark games for the Eagles with 130 and 108 yard respectively. Haywood's 34 carries marked the first time an Eagle rushed the ball more than 30 times in a game since Nate Inman, rushed 33 times for 280 yards against Tusculum in 2011. All four Eagle ball carriers – Andy Hibbett (Corryton, Tenn.) – scored touchdowns, with Douglas getting into the end zone twice.

Meanwhile, L-R got 100-yard days from Jarrod Spears (11-138), Isaiah Whitaker (16-114) and Beaty (14-102).

Carson-Newman turned the ball over three times – twice in the second half. L-R turned two of those takeaways into points.

Consequently, the Eagles didn't punt until their final possession of the game, stopping L-R one final time after the Bears had scored on their first four possessions of the second half.

"We're making memories you can't buy," Sparks said. "We get another week together and teach us and grow us another week. We get a laboratory of learning and to see what football does for us for another week."

Haywood was solid through the air, completing six of his seven passes for 108 yards. Haywood becomes the first 1,000-yard passer for C-N since 2009 when Alex Good turned in an 1,800-yard season.

The Eagles received a 13-tackle performance from Greg Beauduy (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) and 10 stops from Jamar Neal (Columbia, Tenn.) in his first game back from an injury he sustained in Carson-Newman's homecoming game against North Greenville.

Xavier Stephens (Miami, Fla.) blocked a Zach Neumann field goal in the first half to help out the defensive cause as well. It was Stevens' third blocked kick of the season.

The Eagles face Valdosta State for a right to play in the semifinals of the NCAA Division II Playoffs Saturday at noon. Coverage on the Coca-Cola Eagle Sports Network begins at 11 a.m.

Courtesy of Carson-Newman College Athletic Department | 2130 S. Branner Ave. | Jefferson City, TN 37760

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:59 pm 

No. 16 West Texas A&M Upsets Undefeated No. 4 Ashland University, 33-28 in NCAA Second Round

11/24/2012 3:06:00 PM

ASHLAND, Ohio – On a cold and breezy, November day in Ohio with light snow flurries, the No. 16 West Texas A&M football team fought through the cold and wind and pulled out a 33-28 win at No. 4 Ashland University in the second round of the NCAA Division II Super Region Four. With the win, WT improved to 11-2 on the year advanced to the Super Region Final for the first time in school history, while previously undefeated Ashland ends its season with an 11-1 record.

In a game that saw temperatures in the 20s, the Buffs fought through the coldest weather they had played in all season as the defense stepped up with two huge sacks and a bend, but don't break mentality in the final minutes for the win.

On 3rd and five from AU's 41 with just over three minutes remaining and WT clinging to a 33-28 lead, junior defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks came up with his biggest sack of the year dropping Housewright for a 10-yard loss forcing the Eagles to punt with 2:43 remaining. It was Westbrooks' team and Lone Star Conference-leading 15.5 sack of the year which tied the school record for sacks in a season with Franco Glaze in 1997.

WT drained as much of the clock as it could and then punted with 48 seconds left to the 12. From there, Housewright threw three nice passes to Brian Gamble, who plays both ways, getting to the WT 26 with 12 seconds remaining. Westbrooks tallied his third and school-record 16.5 sack of the season as senior defensive lineman Tyrell Higgins came up with the ball with eight seconds remaining. Vaughan and the offense took a knee for the win.

WT evened its NCAA Tournament record at 5-5 as it will play a third playoff game for the first time in school history in six appearances. The opponent and place had not been set as of this release as Colorado State Pueblo and Indianapolis were still playing.

The Buffs were led by a stellar throwing day from Harlon Hill Finalist Dustin Vaughan as he was 35 of 50 with four touchdowns and one interception for 398 yards. Junior wide receiver Torrence Allen continued to have an impressive postseason as he tallied a career-high 13 receptions for 185 yards and three key scores, while junior wide receiver Nathan Allen had 10 receptions for 98 yards.

Defensively, the Buffs had players step up all over the field as junior linebacker Taylor McCuller led the team with 12 total tackles, while junior linebacker Kyle Voss was second with nine stops. Just like in the Chadron State game last week, the defensive backs continued to make big plays as junior defensive back Curtis Slater, sophomore Torian Oakley and senior Jordan Smith all came up with interceptions on fellow Harlon Hill Finalist Taylor Housewright who had just one interception all season coming in for Ashland. The defensive line forced four sacks for 24 yards and 10 tackles for loss for 39 yards, while recovering a punt to win the turnover battle 4-2.

The Eagles were led by Anthony Taylor on the ground as he had a game-high 156 yards and a score on 22 carries. Housewright was 20 of 34 with three interceptions and 166 yards to go along with two touchdowns. Gamble le d the team with 66 yards receiving, while Taylor and Anthony Capasso caught the Housewright scores.

Gamble led all defensive players with 14 tackles as he was all over the field and had nine solo stops. Cody Bloom was second with 12 tackles, while Mike Millan added nine stops.

After a three-and-out by the Buffs on their first possession and a punt, Ashland's quarterback Taylor Housewright threw just his second interception of the season as Slater picked off the pass and returned it 22 yards to the AU 28. It was Slater's team-leading fourth interception of the season. From there, the Buffs drove to the five, but settled for a 22-yard field goal by junior Sergio Castillo, Jr. for a 3-0 lead with 11:13 remaining.

On a fourth and one from the AU 39, the Buffs called a timeout with the offense on the field and came back out in punt formation which confused the Eagles as they had 12 men on the field leading to a first down for the Buffs. From there, the Buffs made AU pay for its mistake as junior quarterback Dustin Vaughan threw a 32-yard touchdown pass to junior Torrence Allen for a 10-0 lead with 6:09 remaining in the first quarter.

The first play from scrimmage for AU to open the second quarter, Taylor ran off the near side for 51 yards for a score cutting the WT lead to 10-7 with 14:42 remaining in the half.

After a three-and-out by the Buffs, Ashland's Eric Schwieterman blocked the Kevin Van Voris punt and it was returned by Alex Winters for the score and the first Eagle lead of the game at 14-10 with 13:46 remaining in the second quarter. Ashland scored two touchdowns in a matter of 56 seconds.

The Buffs responded with a 38-yard field goal by Castillo for a 14-13 deficit with 11:42 remaining in the second quarter.

A late flag from the back judge for pass interference on WT prolonged the next AU drive as Taylor rushed for 22 yards to the 50 to get out of its own end. The Buff defense stepped up their own 37 as junior linebacker Brian Johnson batted down the Housewright pass on fourth down.

A nice screen pass to senior running back Khiry Robinson went for 35 yards, but Gamble made a touchdown saving tackle. Vaughan then hooked up with Allen and junior wide receiver Trevor Hammargren bringing the Buffs to the five yard line. On third and goal, Vaughan connected with Hammargren for his second touchdown of the day and a 19-14 lead. Castillo missed his first extra point in 63 attempts dating back to last season.

On the ensuing drive, Housewright threw his second interception of the game as Smith picked off the over-through and returned it to the AU 37 with less than three minutes remaining in the half. The Buffs were unable to capitalize on the good field possession as they had to punt.

WT forced AU to punt, but the ball hit one of the WT players as AU recovered setting the Eagles up at the WT 37 with 1:03 remaining in the half. A big holding penalty on the Eagles negated a nice pass play, however, a personal foul on WT gave AU a first and 10 with 36 seconds in the half at the 31.

A great shovel-pass to Taylor from Housewright with 10 seconds remaining in the half put AU back in front 21-19 heading into intermission.

In what was a wild third quarter, the Eagles took the opening kick and drove right down the field using the ground for a majority of the drive. Housewright connected with Capasso for a 14-yard score and a 28-19 lead. The Buffs came right back with a nice drive of its own as Vaughan connected on five passes and a couple of runs from Robinson. Allen then caught a 20-yard pass to the AU 14 and then was the recipient of Vaughan's third touchdown pass of the game for a 28-26 deficit.

On the ensuing drive, AU marched right down the field and looked as if it'd score, but on 4th and 1 the Eagles decided to try a field goal. The 26-yard try from Casey Cameron came up short.

The Buffs returned the favor and marched right down the field with the help of a late hit penalty on AU with the ball spotted near midfield. Vaughan hooked up with Allen once again as he made an acrobatic catch climbing the ladder down to the five and later scored for a 33-28 lead.

Housewright then threw his third pick of the game on the ensuing possession as sophomore defensive back Torian Oakley picked it off. WT drove to the one and was stopped on fourth down with just over seven minutes remaining.

Courtesy of West Texas A & M Sports Information

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:05 pm 

Mavericks Prevail in Double OT Thriller to Advance to Quarterfinals

Redshirt freshman defensive back Justin Otto hauls in his first career interception - thwarting a NWMSU overtime drive - and helping MSU to the victory

Mankato, Minn. --- Fifth-ranked Minnesota State led 13th-ranked Northwest Missouri State 21-0 at the half in its NCAA second round playoff game at Blakeslee Stadium Saturday. Little did anyone know that it would take until the second overtime session to decide a winner.

Redshirt freshman defensive back Justin Otto intercepted a pass in the end zone in the second overtime and junior kicker Sam Brockshus booted a 27-yard field goal as MSU won a thriller 38-35 over the Bearcats moving the Mavericks on to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division II Football Championship.

The Mavericks picked off Northwest Missouri State quarterback Trevor Adams three times in the first half which helped catapult MSU to the big halftime lead. The first interception came on the fourth play of the game when junior defensive back Robert Gunderson hauled in an interception on the 22-yard line of the Bearcats. Sophomore running back Andy Pfeiffer took it in from a yard out to give the Mavericks an early 7-0 lead.

“We have full faith we’re going to get good stops and get turnovers in every game,” said Otto.

Pfeiffer led MSU’s ground attack by gaining 120 yards on 25 carries and two scores. The team rushed for 236 yards with quarterback Jon Wolf rushing for 68 yards and a touchdown. Wolf was 10-for-19 through the air for 158 yards and two touchdowns.

“We all were just in the zone,” said Pfeiffer. “It was a big thing they (offensive line) were able to deny penetration and open up some holes.”

MSU went up 14-0 on the third play of the second quarter when Wolf rolled out and found a sophomore H-Back Jeff Burns wide-open for a five-yard touchdown reception.

Sophomore defensive tackle Bryan Keys intercepted a ball off a deflection at the MSU 32-yard line which led to MSU’s next touchdown. The Mavericks took the ball and drove 68 yards on 14 plays culminating in a Wolf keeper from a yard out on fourth-and-goal to give MSU a 21-0 halftime lead.

The second half was a complete reversal of the first. Northwest Missouri’s Jayron Robinson blocked a Darin Howell punt and was recovered and returned by the Bearcats to the MSU 16. Billy Creason scored from nine yards out to pull them within 21-7 less than three minutes into the second half.

On their next possession, Joel Gantz caught a five-yard pass from Adams for a touchdown capping a seven-play, 63-yard drive to make it 21-14.

MSU countered as sophomore wideout Keyvan Rudd hauled in a juggling 14-yard touchdown reception on the first play of the fourth quarter to put the Mavericks up 28-14.

The Bearcats first drive of the fourth quarter turned out the same way as their third quarter possessions ended, with a touchdown. They drove 75 yards in 13 plays culminating with a Tyler Shaw 17-yard touchdown reception from Adams.

After holding MSU without a first down, Robinson broke through the MSU line and blocked his second punt of the second half and was brought back to the MSU four-yard line. Jordan Simmons rushed it in on the next play tying the game at 28-28 with 7:11 to go.

MSU was able to withstand a pair of Jon Wolf turnovers late in regulation and the game went to overtime.

The Mavericks got the ball first and drove the 25 yards on four plays with all rushes ending with a Pfeiffer six-yard touchdown run.

Northwest Missouri State scored quickly to counter as Simmons caught a 25-yard pass from Adams on their second play of overtime. The Bearcats lined up for the two-point conversion in an attempt to win, but after MSU called a time-out, they reconsidered and kicked the extra point to tie it.

Otto picked a good time for his first career interception picking off an Adams pass in the end zone on the Bearcats double overtime possession. MSU then drove down to the ten and called on Brockshus on third down to kick the game winner.

For acting head coach Aaron Keen, the way his players were able to withstand Northwest Missouri State’s rally and come away with the victory is extraordinary.

“That’s some mental training with our players,” he said. “There’s something special in the belief in they have in one another and the belief they have in their abilities.”

The win advances the Mavericks to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division II Football Championship where they will host Missouri Western State next Saturday at noon at historic Blakeslee Stadium.

Courtesy of Minnesota State Sports Information

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:08 pm 

#9 GRIFFONS ADVANCE TO REGIONAL FINAL WITH 45-21 VICTORY OVER 6TH RANKED REDDIES OF HENDERSON STATE
Griffons improve to 12-1 on the season
MWSU Athletic Media Relations
11/24/2012 4:15:00 PM

ARKADELPHIA, Ark. - The Missouri Western football team advanced to the regional final for the first time in school history with a 45-21 victory over 6th ranked Henderson State University on Saturday afternoon. The Griffons had 233 yards rushing and forced Henderson State's quarterback Kevin Rodgers into throwing four interceptions. The Griffons improve to 12-1 on the season and will travel to Mankato, Minn. to take on the Mavericks of Minnesota State-Mankato. Game time is set for 12:00 pm on Saturday, December 1st.

Two of the most prolific offenses in Division II were held scoreless on their first possessions of the game. From there the two teams put up a total of 24 combined points in the first quarter. The Reddies took their second possession of the game 66 yards on nine players which was capped by a Kevin Nichols one yard run.

The Griffons responded nicely scoring 17 unanswered points taking a 17-7 lead after one quarter. Michael Hill scored the Griffons first touchdown on a 15 yard run capping a five play 58 yard drive with 8:40 to play. Raphael Spencer had a 25 yard run to help set up the score for the Griffons. For Hill that was his school record 19th touchdown of the season and 44th of his career. Hill also has 114 points in a season which breaks the season record of 112 which was done by Bubba Hopkins in 1975. The rushing touchdown also set the career record for most rushing touchdowns with 35. Tony Williams had the record of 34 from 1994-97.

On the Reddies very next snap linebacker Stephen Juergens intercepted a Kevin Rodgers pass setting the Griffons up on the Henderson State 16 yard line. The interception was only Rodgers ninth of the season. MWSU proceeded to go 16 yards on four plays which was capped by a Travis Partridge one yard plunge. The final score of the first quarter was when Taylor Anderson connected on a 45 yard field goal with 29 seconds to play in the quarter giving MWSU the 10 point lead. Anderson now holds the record for most points by a kicker in a season with 106 which breaks Brad Beckwith's record of 97 set in 20009.

The Reddies cut the lead to 17-14 with 8:50 to play in the second quarter when Jarvis Smith went 14 yards capping an eight play 55 yard drive.

The final four minutes of the second quarter belonged to the Griffons as Partridge connected on three third down pays which included an six yard pass to Reggie Jordan giving MWSU the 24-14 lead with 3:42 to play in the half. MWSU stopped the Reddies and once again the Griffons used Jordan as the weapon as Partridge threw a one yard fade with 5 seconds to play giving MWSU the 31-14 lead at the half.

The Griffons had 254 yards at the half with 96 coming on the ground and 158 threw the air. Hill carried for 77 yards on 15 carries while Partridge connected on 15-of-19 for 158 yards and two touchdowns. Tyron Crockom had five receptions for 40 yards. Marc Harrision and Juergens had four tackles apiece for the Griffons.

The Reddies had 234 yards with 191 coming threw the air. Rodgers connected on 17-of-29 passes with two interceptions. Dustin Holland had six receptions for 57 yards while Robert Jordan had three for 64. Defensively Maxie Graham had 10 tackles for the Reddies.

The second half did not start well for the Griffons as Crockom fumbled on the second play of the half giving the Reddies the ball on the Griffons 19 yard line. MWSU's defense forced a field goal opportunity which hit the right upright. The Griffons proceeded to go 80 yards on four plays which was capped off by a 63 yard touchdown run by Spencer giving the Griffons the 38-14 lead.

The Griffons tacked on another touchdown in the fourth when Partridge went in from five yards out capping an six play 40 yard drive giving the Griffons a 45-14 lead with 6:46 to play. The Reddies scored one more touchdown but it was to late as they finished the season 10-1.

The Griffons finished with 437 yards of total offense. Partridge finished with 204 yards connecting on 22-of-29 passes and two touchdowns. Crockom had six catches for 40 yards while Kyle Knox and Brandon Wright had four apiece. Hill rushed for 122 yards and one touchdown on 27 carries while Spencer had six catches for 95 yards. Hill has rushed for over 100 yards 12 times this season and 20 times in his career. Defensively Ray Cottman and Harrison had seven tackles. The Griffons had nine pass break-ups with David Bass getting two.

The Reddies had 480 yards with 412 coming in the air. Rodgers connected on 37-of-65 passes with four interceptions and one touchdown. Holland had 10 catches for 103 yards while Jordan had nine for 125. Keaton Stigger had 16 tackles with 10 being solo.

Courtesy of Missouri Western Sports Information

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:48 pm 

Time for a few comments. IUP proved its defense is indeed what it is cracked up to be by shutting down New Haven in the second half to ensure the 17-14 win for the Crimson Hawks. Shippensburg's passing game once again was prevented from running up a parcel of points by a good defensive opponent-WSSU. Down south, Valdosta State keeps showing that they are probably bound for the national semis, although they will have to get by a good Carson-Newman team that won by field goal over Lenoir-Rhyne. Shifting to the Midwest, West Texas A & M has finally found some success in the Div II playoffs, but I suspect the Buffaloes' stampede will come to an end next weekend against CSU Pueblo--but not by a large margin. In the last super region, I think Minnesota State-Mankato by beating NWMSU has most likely punched its ticket to the national semis, although I do think Missouri Western is capable of beating the boys from Mankato on the road, IF they play their very best game. I am not yet about to make any picks for the super-regional championships (natiional quarterfinals), but suffice it to say there are some possibilities for the favorites "on paper" to be upended. See you later in the week with my picks. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. Husky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:47 am 

Husky's Picks for the Div II Super Regional Championship Games/National Quarterfinals

Winston-Salem wins over IUP. WSSU will be too much for IUP's stout defense.

Valdosta State takes out Carson-Newman. Valdosta keeps right on coming on.

CSU Pueblo at home defeats West Texas A & M. They did it before, and they'll do it again.

Minnesota-Mankato edges Missouri Western. I am a bit leery of this pick, but I am going with the team that last week beat perennial playoff power NWMSU.

Enjoy the games tomorrow. Hope there is ample video coverage available or at least radio. Husky's record for playoff picks now stands at 12-4. The only team I am rooting for is IUP. and I think their chances are slim.

Last edited by Husky on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:52 pm 

Div II Quarterfinal Scores

SRI--Winston-Salem 21
IUP 17

SRII--Valdosta State 48
Carson-Newman 26

SRIII--Minnesota State Mankato 17
Missouri Western--10

SRIV--West Texas A & M 34
CSU Pueblo 13

Husky picked three of the four games correctly to up his playoff record to 15-5. He missed the mark on the WTAMU---CSU Pueblo game.
Next week's semifinal match-ups see Winston-Salem playing West Texas A & M, and Valdosta State will meet Minnesota State--Mankato.
Most likely, these two games will be televised--possibly on one or more of the ESPN channels. I will post the info when I find out something. Details on today's games will follow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 pm 

Big Plays, Late Touchdown Doom IUP in NCAA Regional Championship

De'Antwan Williams totaled138 yards on Saturday
Ryan Rebholz, Sports Information Director
12/1/2012 3:12:00

WINSTON-SALEM, NC – The Rams one-yard touchdown pass from Kameron Smith to Ricky Rozier proved to be the go-ahead score with 3:51 remaining as IUP fell to Winston-Salem State 21-17 in the 2012 NCAA Division II Super Region One Championship.

The loss ends the season for the Crimson Hawks, who made to the quarterfinals of the NCAA playoffs for the first time since 1999. IUP finished with an overall record of 12-2 and won the program's third Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) championship. It was also the 10th time in program history that IUP won at least 10 games in a season.

The touchdown pass from Smith came on third-and-goal from the one yard line after two straight two-yard rushes inside the five yard line.

The following IUP offensive drive did not start well, as quarterback Mike Box (Lawrenceville, GA/Collins Hill) was sacked for a loss of eight yards back to the Crimson Hawks own 17-yard line. The next pass to Salath Williams (Harrisburg/Bishop McDevitt) fell incomplete as IUP faced a third-and-long. Box connected with Terrill Barnes (Gettysburg/Gettysburg) on a short pass but he fought for additional yards to give IUP a fourth-and-five at its own 30. With the season on the line, Box again went Barnes way, finding him down the left sideline for a 23-yard gain to the Rams 47.

The very next play went for big yardage again, with running back De'Antwan Williams (Woodbridge, VA/Woodbridge) catching a pass over the middle and breaking tackles all the way down to the Winston-Salem 25. Gaining momentum, Box hit Barnes again, this time for 15 yards down the right sideline to give IUP a first-and-goal at the 10 yard line.

It was another pass to Williams on the next play as he was knocked out at the Rams five-yard line after slipping out of the backfield. On second down Box rolled to his left but his pass to Salath Williams (Harrisburg/Bishop McDevitt) fell incomplete, nearly getting picked off inside the five yard line.

On third down Box looked for Tyler Dummermuth (New Philadelphia, OH/New Philadelphia) in the end zone but the pass was off target, bringing up another fourth down with 34 seconds left on the clock. Dropping back again, Box looked off his primary receiver and targeted Dummermuth but the Winston-Salem pressure was too strong and All-American linebacker Carlos Fields hit Box's arm, forcing the ball to fall to the grass, incomplete.

Box finished the game 16-of-32 for 236 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions. Barnes was his main target with a career-high nine catches for 160 yards a score.

With the exception of just a few plays over the course of the game, the IUP defense outplayed the high-octane Winston-Salem offense.

The Rams totaled 338 yards of offense, although 165 of those yards came on three plays. The first being a 62-yard screen pass to receiver Jameze Massey late in the opening quarter, which would eventually lead to a Rozier one-yard touchdown, the first score of the game.

Receiver Jahuann Butler had a 48-yard reception in the second quarter, but the backbreaker came on the final play of the first half. With just one second left on the clock and the ball at their own 45-yard line, starting quarterback Anthony Carrothers pass toward the end zone was tipped in the air and snatched up by Kenny Patterson, who fell across the goal line for the score. With that “Hail Mary” play, the Rams took a 14-7 lead into halftime.

Prior to that score, the Crimson Hawks tied the score at 7-7 with a 36-yard catch and run by Barnes, who broke several tackles and cut back inside the Rams 10-yard line, diving in the touchdown.

That score came with 48 seconds left, giving the Rams just enough time to get into position to convert the “Hail Mary”.

The second half was completely dominated by the IUP defense as the Crimson Hawks picked off a pass, recovered a fumble, forced a turnover on downs and a pair of punts. The Rams did have a chance to add to their lead coming out of the locker room, driving deep into IUP territory but a 40-yard field goal attempt went wide left.

Outside of that 12-play drive, the Rams ran just 14 more plays before their game-winning nine-play drive in the fourth quarter.

The Crimson Hawks got within four on their second drive of the third quarter as Brett Ullman (Baltimore, MD/Perry Hall)'s 29-yard field goal split the uprights, making it a 14-10 Rams lead. The kick by Ullman was his 19th on the season, breaking the IUP record for field goals in a season.

Momentum would continue to swing in IUP's favor, as on the ensuing kickoff, Marvase Byrd (McKeesport/McKeesport) recovered a fumble forced by Johnny Franco (Altoona/Tyrone) at the Rams 22 yard line. De'Antwan Williams (Woodbridge, VA/Woodbridge) ran for gains of four and five yards and on third-and-one, Box's sneak turned into a 12-yard gain to the Rams one. The following play IUP went back to Williams, who ran it in, helping give the Crimson Hawks a 17-14 lead with 2:55 left in the third.

Smith, who threw 39 touchdowns during the season but was injured three weeks ago and replaced by Carrothers, entered the game in the fourth quarter for the Rams in an attempt to provide a spark. His first two drives went for a total of seven yards before leading Winston-Salem to the game-winning drive.

Smith finished 5-of-9 for 32 yards and a touchdown while Carrothers was 10-of-25 for 259 yards with a touchdown and an interception. Massey caught five balls for 104 yards and Butler had four catches for 123 yards.

IUP finished with 18 first downs compared to 13 for the Rams, while also outgaining Winston-Salem with 369 yards of total offense. One of the nation's best defenses also limited the Rams to 47 rushing yards while the Crimson Hawks gained 133. Williams led the way for IUP with 110 yards on 26 carries with a touchdown, also catching three passes for 28 more yards.

Carl Fleming (Reisterstown, MD/Franklin) led the way on defense with nine total tackles, including three tackles-for-loss and a half-sack. Carl Thornton (Beaver Falls/Beaver Falls) added eight tackles while Alexander Berdahl (Ashburn, VA/Bishop O'Connell), Jerrel McFadden and Shane Meisner (Greensburg/Hempfield ) all had five. Meisner provided pressure in the Rams backfield all game long, hurrying passes and notching two tackles-for-loss and a sack-and-a-half.

Courtesy of IUP Sports Information

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:07 pm 

Blazers Roll to Semifinals, Down Carson-Newman 48-26

VSU tallies 525 yards in win

VALDOSTA, Ga. – Valdosta State tallied 525 yards of total offense to defeat Carson-Newman 48-26 in the Quarterfinals of the NCAA Division II Football Playoffs at Bazemore-Hyder Stadium Saturday afternoon.

With the victory, VSU improves to 10-2 on the season and advances to next week's semifinal game against Minnesota State-Mankato. Carson-Newman ends its season at 9-3.

Valdosta State dominated the first quarter, as it scored 14 points and compiled 163 yards of offense, before Carson-Newman came back to control the second.

The Eagles got the scoring started on the first drive of the game when they marched 65 yards on 13 plays. The Blazer defense stiffened when the ball got inside its 10 to force a 27-yard field goal by Curt Duncan that gave C-N a 3-0 lead.

Valdosta State answered on its ensuing drive as used 10 plays to move 90 yards for a touchdown. Cayden Cochran completed all six of his passes on the drive for 46 yards and also ran for 12 yards while Cedric O'Neal ran for 37 yards on one carry. Cochran finished off the drive with a 1-yard plunge for the touchdown that put VSU in front 7-3.

After forcing a turnover on downs on the Carson-Newman 46 yard line on the next Eagle drive, the Blazers needed just one play to push their advantage to 11 points as O'Neal burst through the line for a 46-yard run.

The two teams traded punts on the game's next two drive before Carson-Newman scored its first touchdown of the game. After taking over on its own three, C-N put together a 15-play drive to methodically move the ball down the field. Only two of the 15 plays came through the air as the Eagles ran for 80 of the 97 yards. Andy Hibbett closed out the drive with a 1-yard run that closed CNU to within 14-10.

A pair of short fields helped Carson-Newman take the lead as it scored on each of its next two possessions. A short punt and a personal foul against Valdosta State gave the Eagles on the VSU 32 on its next drive, from which Brandon Baker scored on a run, while an interception that was returned to the VSU 22 led to a 33-yard Duncan field goal.

Valdosta State moved the ball to the C-N 1 yard on the final drive of the first half but was stopped on a fourth-down plunge as Carson-Newman led 20-14 at the half.

The Eagles again got the first score in the second half as Duncan booted a 42-yard field goal, only to have Valdosta State quickly cut its deficit to 23-21 as it needed just four plays to advance down the field. Cochran completed all three of his passes on the drive for 73 yards, the final 37 of which came on a pass down the C-N sideline to Seantavious Jones for the touchdown.

Carson-Newman answered with Duncan's fourth field goal of the game, this one a 22-yard attempt, on the ensuing drive, but the points would prove to be the final of the game for the Eagles as the VSU defense limited C-N to just 58 yards the remainder of the game.

While the Carson-Newman offense was limited the rest of the game, Valdosta State kept up the pressure as it scored touchdowns on each of its next four possessions. Chris Anderson put the Blazers in front for good with a 20-yard reception before O'Neal added his second of three rushing touchdowns with a three-yard run early in the fourth quarter.

Cochran threw his third touchdown of the game with 8:08 to go when he found Quin Roberson alone in the back left corner of the end zone while O'Neal finished off the scoring with a 16-yard run with 6:29 to play.

Valdosta State's four rushing touchdowns in the game gave VSU 34 on the year, breaking the old school record of 32 set during the program's 2004 national championship title season. O'Neal, a true freshman, has tallied 13 of the scores, tied for the third-most in school history and just two away from the single season mark. The Dublin, Ga. native has also rushed for 1,055 yards on the season, making him just the eight VSU running back to top the 1,000-yard barrier and the first since Michael Terry ran for 1,107 in 2007.

Valdosta State finished the game with 279 yards rushing and 246 passing. O'Neal added 194 yards to go along with his three touchdowns while Cochran completed 23-of-31 passes for 246 yards and ran for 34 more yards. Anderson, in his first career start, caught a team-high six passes for 43 yards.

Chris Pope led the Valdosta State defense with 21 tackles, tied for the second-highest single game total in program history.

Carson-Newman finished with 392 yards of offense, including 362 rushing. Baker ran for 155 yards while Tyron Douglas added 124. Oliver Davis led the C-N defense with seven stops, all solo.

The site for next week's game between Valdosta State and Minnesota State-Mankato will be announced later Saturday evening.

Courtesy of Valdosta State Sports Information

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:13 pm 

Minesota State--Mankato Moves On to Div II Semifinals

Mankato, Minn. --- With the game tied at ten with 8:51 left in the game, Minnesota State needed a clock-sustaining drive to put points on the board and they called on redshirt freshman running back Connor Thomas.

He ended a 10-play, 80-yard drive with a 12-yard touchdown run that gave the Mavericks a 17-10 victory over Missouri Western State in the NCAA Division II Football Championship Quarterfinal at Blakeslee Stadium.

“I just took the field with confidence,” said Thomas about the game-winning drive. “I knew we needed to get a score and it started with our o-line up front. I was feeling that cut-back really well and the receivers also made great blocks down field.”

Thomas ran the ball seven times on the game-winning drive for 46 yards culminating with the touchdown run.

“I couldn’t have been more proud of our offense on that last drive, running that ball down and score that touchdown was huge for program,” said acting head coach Aaron Keen.

Thomas gained 159 yards on the ground on 19 attempts leading the 289-yard ground attack for MSU Saturday afternoon. Jon Wolf gained 67 yards and a touchdown and Andy Pfeiffer added 47. The effort was the first-ever 100-yard output in Thomas’ career.

Thomas was the key on MSU’s lone touchdown drive of the first half. As part of a 5-play, 91-yard drive, he took a handoff from his own 15 and ran up the middle for a 52-yard gain to the Missouri Western State 33-yard line. A pair of Pfeiffer runs to them to the 20. Wolf then called his own number as he scampered down the left side for a 20-yard touchdown run giving the Mavericks a 10-3 lead early in the second quarter.

Missouri Western State took the second half kickoff and scored quickly to tie the game. Quarterback Travis Partridge took it in from 35 yards out to cap a 5-play, 62-yard drive.

With the game tied going into the fourth quarter, MSU used ball control to win the game. The Mavericks had the ball first in the quarter and used up five minutes of the clock before it ended with a Stephen Juergens interception for MWSU and returned it to his own 47. MSU’s defense held the Griffons to a three-and-out without giving up a yard and forced them to punt. The game-winning drive followed where the Mavericks used up five and a half minutes off the clock. MSU held the ball for 12 of the 15 minutes of the final quarter.

Last week, the MSU defense picked off four Northwest Missouri State passes in the double overtime victory.

Today, they intercepted three more and they all came at opportune moments. Nathan Hancock picked off a Partridge pass late in the first half in his own end to thwart a Griffons rally. Justin Otto had his second huge interception in as many weeks when he picked off a pass from his own 4-yard line stopping a MWSU go-ahead drive attempt in the third quarter. Following Thomas’ winning touchdown, Earl Brooks intercepted a desperation heave from Partridge out of the end zone, icing the win for the Mavericks.

“Our defense is really relaxed,” said Brooks. “When our offense gives up the ball, we’re going to stop them (other team) three-and-out or get a turnover and get them the ball back. We have confidence like that.”

MSU’s defense held Harlon Hill finalist, Michael Hill, to 50 yards.

“I thought our defense did a tremendous job of shutting down the run,” said Keen. “Doing that gave us a shot to win that football game.

The Maverick defense was paced by sophomore linebacker Kris Fleigle who totaled nine stops. Brooks added eight stops while sophomore safety Nathan Hancock had six.

MSU (13-0) moves on to the semifinals of the NCAA Division II Football Championship where it will play Valdosta State, 48-26 winners over Carson-Newman. The site for the game is yet to be determined.

Courtesy of Minnesota State--Mankato sports Information

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:17 pm 

No. 16 Buffs Upset Top-Ranked Colorado State-Pueblo in NCAA Quarterfinal, 34-13

PUEBLO, Colo. – The West Texas A&M football team exacted some revenge Saturday with a dominating performance on both sides of the ball as it upset top-ranked Colorado State-Pueblo at the Netta and Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl with a 34-13 win in the NCAA Quarterfinal. With the win the Buffs improved to 12-2 on the year, while CSU-Pueblo ended its season a 12-1.

The Buffs, who avenged a season-opening 44-34 loss to these same Thunderwolves Aug. 30, silenced the announced crowd of 10,217 midway through the first half. However, the Buffs had a nice contingent of fans of approximately 800 who made the five-hour trip from Canyon.

West Texas A&M should find out where and when it will play top-seeded out of Super Region One and second-ranked Winston-Salem State Sunday.

WT was led by junior quarterback Dustin Vaughan who passed for 324 yards and three scores on 24 of 38 passes with one interception. Senior running back Khiry Robinson tallied 181 yards on the ground and had two catches for 14 yards with a score. Junior wide receiver Nathan Slaughter came up with catch after catch after catch as he tallied 170 yards receiving and two touchdowns on seven receptions.

Defensively the Buffs dominated the CSU-Pueblo this time as it held the high-powered Thunderwolves' rushing offense to just 32 yards on the ground as CSUP had 265 yards on the ground in the first meeting in August. CSUP quarterback Ross Dausin didn't have a lot of time in the pocket as the relentless WT defense sacked him seven times for 46 yards led by junior defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks who had 2.5 sacks for 21 yards and a forced fumble. He now has a school-record 19 sacks on the season. Junior linebacker Taylor McCuller had 14 tackles in the game including eight solo stops as he broke the school-record for tackles in a season with 155 as Joe Calhoun had 151 in 1995.

WT amassed 517 yards of offense as they had 193 yards on the ground and 324 through the air and held CSUP to just 225 yards of total offense. For the second straight week, the Buffs have knocked off an undefeated and top five ranked team as WT won at No. 4 Ashland last week 33-28.

There was an energy and a confidence from the opening kick on the Buffalo sideline as the teams traded punts for the first three possessions and the Buffs turned the ball over on downs on a 4th and 1 from the CSU-Pueblo 45 midway through the first quarter.

The WT defense came up big with a stop as junior linebacker Bryan Johnson came up with the first sack of the game forcing a punt.

That's went the WT offense started clicking as the Buffs marched a season-high 94 yards on three plays in just 1:19 of time as Vaughan completed two passes to Nathan Slaughter for 91 yards, including a 74-yard strike on a flea-flicker as Slaughter caught it on the near side and reversed field for a 7-0 lead.

The Thunderwolves went 3-and-out on their next possession as the momentum began to grow and the 800 or so WT fans continued to get louder and louder. The Buffs started inside the CSUP 40 as Vaughan completed pass to redshirt freshman Jarrian Rhone for 3 yards and a first down on a 3rd and three to the 18. After the change of the quarter, Vaughan and Slaughter hooked up once again for a 14-0 lead on a 13-yard pass and score.

The Thunderwolves went 18 plays in 8:03, but the bend, but don't break WT defense came up huge once again as senior defensive lineman came up with a huge nine-yard sack on Dausin on a 3rd and six from the WT eight yard line forcing a field goal.

The Buffaloes came right back with an 8-play, 71-yard drive as Vaughan and Slaugher hooked up once again on a 40-yard pass down the CSUP 31. Another 10-yard pass to Slaughter put the Buffs on the 17. On 3rd and goal from the goal line, Vaughan threw a pass to Robinson in the end zone for a 21-3 lead.

WT took over late in the second quarter after senior defensive back Jordan Smith picked off Dausin for Smith's third interception of the season. The Buffs marched from their own 21 to the CSUP 28 as junior kicker Sergio Castillo, Jr., kicked a 45-yard field goal with seven seconds remaining in the half for a 24-3 lead.

CSUP drove to the WT 47 on the opening possession of the third quarter and punter Brandon Kliesen, who ranks second nationally in punting, placed the ball at the WT 1. On the first play from the one, the snap went wide of Vaughan, but Robinson was there to collect it and managed a two yard gain avoiding a disaster.

WT punted from its 22, but CSU-Pueblo return specialist Kieren Duncan returned the punt 46 yards to the WT 27 as the home crowd began to come to life.

The Buff “D” stepped up once again with good pressure on Dausin as he was sacked by Westbrooks and sophomore linebacker Shane Sobnosky for a seven yard loss as the Thunderwolves were on the doorstep. Greg O'Donnell kicked his second field goal of the game for a 24-6 score with 6:06 remaining in the third quarter.

A big pass interference penalty on CSUP kept the ensuing Buff drive alive as they marched to the CSUP 33 where Castillo kicked a 50-yard field goal for a 27-6 advantage.

WT put the game out of reach on the defensive side as Westbrooks sacked and forced a Dausin fumble as junior linebacker LeBrandon Mosley picked up the loose ball and ran in from 26-yards out on the ensuing CSUP possession for a 34-6 lead late in the third quarter. It was first fumble returned for a touchdown by the Buffs since Chris Metcalf returned one 25 yards versus Texas A&M-Kingsville in Cowboys Stadium earlier this season.

The longest run of the game from the Thunderwolves came late in the third as Matthews scampered 33 yards to the WT 42 on the next possession. Following the change of the quarter, CSUP marched down field on the shoulders of Matthews and Dausin connected on an 18-yard strike to Josh Sandoval for a score and a 34-13 Buff lead with 12:01 remaining.

Great clock management by the Buffs followed as they went on a season-high 16 play, 89-yard drive getting to the CSUP 6 as a Vaughan pass was intercepted in the end zone with 4:26 remaining.

Courtesy of WTAMU Sports Information

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next