Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Brett Lawrie watch continues ...
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:51 pm 

Blue Jays need to call up one of the best hitters in the PCL right now, Brett Lawrie. The guy is simply mashing AAA pitching. .343/.403/.632, with 70 hits (first in the PCL), 45 R's (1st in the league), 12 HR's (tied for 4th), 40 RBI's, and 10 SB's.

He is 2nd base eligible. He combines good OBP, power, and base stealing. Put him in the lead-off spot with Escobar second, and the Great Bautista 3rd.

That is a batting order that Bucfan supports 100%. :D

Post subject: Re: The Brett Lawrie watch continues ...
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:05 am 

Toronto needs to call this guy up the millisecond he is beyond the "Super 2" deadline. For crying out loud, he has hit 6 HR's in his last 35 at-bats. He is 1st in the Pacific Coast League in R's, 1st in H's, 1st in total bases (by a huge margin), 1st in 2B's, 2nd in HR's (behind re-tread Wily Mo Pena), 3rd in RBI's, tied for 9th in SB's, 11th in batting average, 5th in slugging, and 5th in OPS.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:30 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Toronto needs to call this guy up the millisecond he is beyond the "Super 2" deadline. For crying out loud, he has hit 6 HR's in his last 35 at-bats. He is 1st in the Pacific Coast League in R's, 1st in H's, 1st in total bases (by a huge margin), 1st in 2B's, 2nd in HR's (behind re-tread Wily Mo Pena), 3rd in RBI's, tied for 9th in SB's, 11th in batting average, 5th in slugging, and 5th in OPS.

Agreed, I have had him in my money dynasty league for a few years and I currently have Furcal staring at MI, my only weakness is RBI production so he needs to hit in the heart of the order somewhere. Also, need to offset the loss of Posey.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 pm 

I suspect that he is with the Jays on June 10. Here is why:

As you have elequently noted, the Super-2 deadline is getting later and later. It used to be June 3, then June 6. Now, June 9 appears to be "safe."

Jays do not call up Lawrie, a Canadian, to make his debut on June 9, on the road at Kansas City.

They wait until June 10, a home game (Friday night) against the Red Sox.

That is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:29 pm 

Barrys, where do you think the Jays bat Lawrie? He is hitting 3rd for Las Vegas. I like him batting lead-off for the Jays, ahead of Escobar and the Great Bautista.

He is going to see his share of strikes at lead-off with Bautista looming behind him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:36 pm 

Lawrie was hit on the hand by a pitch in his first AB last night, and taken out of the game. He says that it is just a bruise.

Still, not psyched to see that happen. :x :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:48 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Barrys, where do you think the Jays bat Lawrie? He is hitting 3rd for Las Vegas. I like him batting lead-off for the Jays, ahead of Escobar and the Great Bautista.

He is going to see his share of strikes at lead-off with Bautista looming behind him.

Their lineup is pretty damn thin in the middle, they have a bunch of guys to hit 1-2 (Davis, Escobar, Patterson). I'd hit him 5th behind Lind (who's returning this weekend) and in front of Arencibia.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Their lineup is pretty damn thin in the middle, they have a bunch of guys to hit 1-2 (Davis, Escobar, Patterson). I'd hit him 5th behind Lind (who's returning this weekend) and in front of Arencibia.

That works for me, I guess. If he is hitting leadoff, and is on first with one out and Bautista at the plate, he is not going to steal.

Hitting fifth or sixth, he may get more of a chance to run and log stolen bases.