Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, how about Bucfan's early draft picks?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 pm 

I have generally had good production from "keepers," but two of my earliest draft picks have killed me this year. Those two are Matt Thornton and Ryan Dumpster.

How much have those two ass-clowns damaged my pitching stats? Without them, team ERA goes from 3.81 to 3.11. Team WHIP goes from 1.32 to 1.23.

If team had an ERA and WHIP with those numbers, team has 10 more roto points.

Ten points if I had drafted a bag of potato chips and a ham sandwich instead of those two clowns.

Post subject: Re: So, how about Bucfan's early draft picks?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:49 pm 

Intersting to me because I had both of them on my short list and was not happy to see them go before I was ready to pounce. Once again I got lucky-- so thanks, my man.

I would add that Zobrist was a player I thought might rebound and has. Didn't expect last night but hell he might go on all season.

Would also add that I got Bautista with my first pick but as I was third to select, I didn't dream that he would be there for me. i couldn't not pick him-- although someone had freed him up by not protecting him?

You know I whined when I got DL crazy. I'm sure I'm wrong but it sounds like you are whining just a little as some of your picks were duds. I'm wrong about that, right? I mean the pity party?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:43 pm 

How many people did 'nail' their top picks?

Mine have been so-so thus far: Bruce and Desmond have been solid, but unspectacular. Thankfully Victorino has picked up the slack.

I passed on Joey Bats (assumed fluke season), Grady & Ellsbury (injury concern), Brett Anderson & Pineda (already had three good arms) among others.

Hindsight logic is often devastating.

At least I snagged Polanco in the 23rd round!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:11 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

You know I whined when I got DL crazy. I'm sure I'm wrong but it sounds like you are whining just a little as some of your picks were duds.

Haha sub!

A little analogy for all you kids out there studying for your SAT's:

Bucfan:His fantasy team::Estrago:Nutting

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:58 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
You know I whined when I got DL crazy. I'm sure I'm wrong but it sounds like you are whining just a little as some of your picks were duds. I'm wrong about that, right? I mean the pity party?

Not sure what you are reading that suggests I think I deserve pity.

I was observing that two of my top-three open draft selections have been horrible, and that I would actually have been in a better position had I drafted a ham sandwich and bag of chips. Did not blame anybody but myself, did not suggest "poor me." Just making a statement and actually poking fun at my picks.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:44 pm 

Just trying to have a little fun-- thought you would see the tongue firmly in check.

BTW, just for the record of my continuing the crying game-- just heard on sports center that Weaver slated to start today has been scratched. He is by far my best pitcher and my hope he isn't also a candidate for the dreaded DL which I own.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:21 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Just trying to have a little fun-- thought you would see the tongue firmly in check.

My bad. Did not read like a jest.

Substitute2 wrote:
BTW, just for the record of my continuing the crying game-- just heard on sports center that Weaver slated to start today has been scratched. He is by far my best pitcher and my hope he isn't also a candidate for the dreaded DL which I own.

No worries. I heard that he came down with the same virus which reportedly hit the Rockies before the series with our Buccos. 3-4 days and he will be as good as new.

And by the by ... Weaver rocks. As you obviously know, I made an offer for him before the open draft. I then selected him in my H2H league.

He has such a variety of pitches that he throws for strikes, at any time, that he is going to be very good for a long time. I wish the Pirates had selected him in the 2004 draft, even though I like Neil Walker a ton.