All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extreme fantasy advice needed
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 pm 

Here's the stakes:

30 team dynasty keepers league.

The offer is that I give up:
Elvis Andrus, Chase Headley and Roy Oswalt

I get:
Hanley Ramirez and a bum pitcher (a nobody prospect or Carlos Silva)

Granted, I'd technically be losing this trade since Oswalt puts the deal in favor of the other guy, but I can't pass on Hanley for only Elvis and Chase, right?

The rest of my rotation is still: Cahill, Clayton Richard, John Lannan (bummy, but capable), Ryan Zimmerman and Jake Peavy (on the DL) and my lineup would be:

C: Jaso/Yorvit
1B: Loney
2B: Brignac
SS: Hanley
3B: Pedro
OF: Tabata, BJ Upton, Gardner and Rajai
Util: Jaso/Yorvit and Felix Pie
Minors: Tony Sanchez and Dustin Ackley (to one day replace my current C and 2B)

I wouldn't be totally stupid for doing this deal, right?

Post subject: Re: Extreme fantasy advice needed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:09 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Here's the stakes:

30 team dynasty keepers league.

I get:

Pretty good line-up for being in a 30-team league. The answer to your question depends on how good you think Andrus is going to be.

He is hitting on a Rangers team that scores a ton of runs. Andrus scores a lot of them.

He is going to hit for a good average. He may well wind up hitting 10-12 HR's per year, with 40 SB's.

The upgrade from Andrus to Ramirez is unquestioned, but it is likely that Andrus may well get you more R's and SB's.

Since it is a keeper league, and since Andrus is so young and likely to get pretty darn good, it is a trade that has a lot of upside potential for the other guy.

How about trying to upgrade another position in the deal as well. Not a huge upgrade, just make the position better. You swap Brignac, for example, for a better 2nd baseman as part of the deal?

That way, when Ackley starts to produce, you have a valuable trade piece in the 2nd baseman.

Man, 30 teams is a lot. It makes fantasy baseball too much like a job.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:09 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Here's the stakes:

I get:

Anytime you get the best player in a deal its usually a good idea. Elite talent is hard to come by and in a 30 team league its even more rare. You would be getting a 27 year old stud SS for Oswalt and Andrus (Headley doesn't really factor too heavily due to that park killing his power). Andrus best case becomes a high batting average stolen base leadoff type. The advantage you get from Hanley over that is greater than Oswalt's value in a Dynasty.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:19 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Anytime you get the best player in a deal its usually a good idea. Elite talent is hard to come by and in a 30 team league its even more rare.

The problem is that finding even good talent, let alone very good talent, is a labor in a 30-team league. The "get the best player and it's probably a winner" is the rule in 10 and 12-team leagues, since once you deal 2-1 or 3-2, you can find a decent player off the free agent or waiver wire to fill the roster.

Here, moving two very solid players (Oswalt borders on being elite, particularly with a solid team like the Phillies and working against No. 3 starters) gets Ramirez, but the players off the waiver wire are going to be garbage.

So is Ramirez + garbage > Andrus + Oswalt? If Andrus goes .265, 3 HR's, 85 R's, 30 SB's, then yes. But what if Andrus goes .300, 12 HR's, 100 R's, 40 SB's this year? At age 22?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
How about trying to upgrade another position in the deal as well. Not a huge upgrade, just make the position better. You swap Brignac, for example, for a better 2nd baseman as part of the deal?

That way, when Ackley starts to produce, you have a valuable trade piece in the 2nd baseman.

I wish. The other guys 2B is Zobrist, no way he'll part with him. Of course, his OF includes Denofria, Melky and Burrell...

And actually, since Brignac is also SS eligible, I've gotten killer offers for him. Once Ackley is called up, Brignac will be worth a SP or used to upgrade my RF or 1B (if I'm unable to do so before then).

Bucfan wrote:
Man, 30 teams is a lot. It makes fantasy baseball too much like a job.

It does, but it's fun. Sometimes I lose sleep, apetite and hair over trade offers.

I love the intensity.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Anytime you get the best player in a deal its usually a good idea. Elite talent is hard to come by and in a 30 team league its even more rare. You would be getting a 27 year old stud SS for Oswalt and Andrus (Headley doesn't really factor too heavily due to that park killing his power). Andrus best case becomes a high batting average stolen base leadoff type. The advantage you get from Hanley over that is greater than Oswalt's value in a Dynasty.

That's what I was thinking, too. Needed a VOR to confirm it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:28 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Here, moving two very solid players (Oswalt borders on being elite, particularly with a solid team like the Phillies and working against No. 3 starters) gets Ramirez, but the players off the waiver wire are going to be garbage.

So is Ramirez + garbage > Andrus + Oswalt? If Andrus goes .265, 3 HR's, 85 R's, 30 SB's, then yes. But what if Andrus goes .300, 12 HR's, 100 R's, 40 SB's this year? At age 22?

That's my fear, too. However, I should add that I JUST got Oswalt in another trade... A-Gonz for Oswalt, Loney and Peavy. That deal wasn't 'perfect', but it gave me killer depth to work a trade for a Pujols or Hanley (I got thisclose to landing Ubaldo).

So essentially, the NET gain I'm looking at is:

A-Gonz, Headley and Andrus FOR Loney, Peavy, Hanley, Silva

That, in essense, means I landed Hanley for Elvis and Headley but 'only' Loney and Peavy for A-Gonz.

Still, I think that's an upgrade... slightly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Anytime you get the best player in a deal its usually a good idea. Elite talent is hard to come by and in a 30 team league its even more rare.

The problem is that finding even good talent, let alone very good talent, is a labor in a 30-team league. The "get the best player and it's probably a winner" is the rule in 10 and 12-team leagues, since once you deal 2-1 or 3-2, you can find a decent player off the free agent or waiver wire to fill the roster.

Getting the best player applies even more in deep leagues, elite players win fantasy championships. The advantage Hanley gives you over the 28 (everyone who doesn't have Tulo) other teams is massive. You are also not talking about an older star player, Hanley is just entering his prime. Hey, I like Andrus, I just acquired him in our league, but Hanley is a top 3 overall fantasy talent.

I wouldn't worry too much about 2B, Ackley will be up in June, Brignac should be just fine until then in a format so deep.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Getting the best player applies even more in deep leagues, elite players win fantasy championships. The advantage Hanley gives you over the 28 (everyone who doesn't have Tulo) other teams is massive.

The SS position sucks, but the best young players at that position are Andrus and Castro. Those guys are 4-category contributors very, very soon.

It pains me to say ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:41 am 

Did the deal; couldn't resist the call of Han-Ram.

The commish of the league gave me a 'mini' pat on the back for pulling it off. Apparently the guy who gave up Hanley is known for being frugal in trades.

Thanks for the input Bucfan and BD, it was appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:03 am 

To a guy like me just trying to learn the working of fantasy BB, it is helpful to read these discussions. It might require more time then I'm willing to spend in the long run, but for now I find this deal to be a great way to spend my free time as a semi-retired person. So, thanks for this and please continue to educate me with more of the same.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:02 pm 

Man, Han-Ram has been a bust for me and after some recent trades in this league of mine, I'm ashamed I gave up so much for him!

Check out these 'BRILLIANT' trades if you want a good long laugh or wish to suffer an anyuerysm (NOTE: These are all REAL stupid] trades in a DYNASTY keepers league!):

Quote:
Dominguez, Matt 3B FLA
Jurrjens, Jair SP ATL
Torres, Andres CF SF

for

Friedrich, Christian SP COL
Price, David SP TB

Quote:
Garland, Jon SP LA
McGehee, Casey 3B MIL
Morneau, Justin 1B MIN

for

Conrad, Brooks 3B ATL
Pujols, Albert 1B STL

Quote:
Gomes, Jonny OF CIN

for

#1 overall waiver spot (if held onto until after the draft, this waiver pick is essentially Rendon/Cole)

Quote:
Howard, Ryan 1B PHI
Slowey, Kevin SP MIN

for

Axford, John RP MIL
Beato, Pedro SP NYM
Guerrero, Vladimir DH BAL
Scott, Luke DH BAL
Vitters, Josh 3B CHC

Quote:
Figgins, Chone 2B SEA
Hunter, Torii CF ANA
Jimenez, Ubaldo SP COL

for

Zobrist, Ben RF TB

Quote:
Cervelli, Francisco C NYY
Harvey, Matt SP NYM
Howard, Ryan 1B PHI
Reyes, Jo-Jo RP TOR
Sanchez, Gary C NYY

for

Halladay, Roy SP PHI
Jenks, Bobby RP BOS
Kubel, Jason LF MIN
Moore, Adam C SEA

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:12 am 

NS:
Looks like some of the trade offers I have made that were (thankfully) declined.

Some of the deals made a LITTLE sense early in year. For example, Chone Figgins, et al. for Ben
Zobrist, was rational.

Says the idiot who turned down a deal for Ben Zobrist and Jose Bautista early in the year. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:25 pm 

That Pujols trade might be the dumbest deal I have seen in a long time considering the format. Geez.

HanRam is killing one of my teams as well, I still think you did fine in that deal though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:59 pm 

My team has sagged to a bottom-10 performance thus far. Hanley , Loney and Pedro have killed me...

So now I'm planning long term. I landed Mike Montgomery for Jake Peavy (after a Perez/Banuelos deal fell through) and traded away two bench pieces (Felix Pie and Yorvit) for a AAAA 'lottery ticket' (Chris Davis). I picked up Jose Molina to offset the loss of Yorvit.

But now I have a deal in place to possibly land one Buster Posey...

It's a steep price and a complex deal, but I want your expert opinions on it.

Quote:
I get:
Posey, Todd Helton, Endy Chavez and David Cooper

for:

BJ Upton, Trevor Cahill and James Loney

The deal is essentially BJ and Cahill for Posey (with the 1B's thrown in for fielding stat purposes) and that's what I don't like...

On the one hand this deal kills my OF depth (I'd have only Puma, Gardner and Rajai) and takes away my 'Ace', but I would get a short term 1B upgrade & depth, plus a young C/1B stud in Buster... which could be a great thing since I have Tony Sanchez waiting in the minors.

Plus, if this makes my team worse it means I get a higher waiver (draft) pick next year... and it's not like I'm doing gangbusters now.

How say you? Like the deal or no?

Am I giving up too much for Buster or buying low?

Last edited by NSMaster56 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:04 pm 

Roster right now:

C: Jose Molina/John Jaso... Tony Sanchez
1B: James Loney... Chris Davis
2B: Dustin Ackley
3B: Adam Everette (Pedro injured)
SS: Hanley
OF: Puma, BJ, Gardner, Rajai

SP's: J-Zimm, Cahill, Chaz-Mo, Richard... Lincoln, Montgomery, Rudy Owens, Carlos Silva
RP's: David Hernandez, Tyler Clippard, Blake Wood, Tony Sipp... Rafael Betancourt, Jamey Wright, Guillermo Mota

If I landed Posey I'd be set @ C and/or 1B, but I'd be lacking in OF and betting a good deal that MM became a stud for KC (and Lincoln/Owens contributed longterm for PIT).

Alot of 'ifs' and 'buts', but still, that's a solid foundation, no???

I just hate losing BJ AND Cahill... but it'd be the only way...