Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Board's Fantasy Baseball League
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:39 am 

Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:35 am 

Keeper is fine but 10 players is way too many. It doesn't give lower teams enough chance to regroup or new players any chance at all. I have done anywhere from 3 to 6 in other leagues. I actually like fewer keepers. It makes the draft more important and more fun, while still allowing players to keep guys they really like.

As for the league format..I prefer head to head, but I like this league as a change of pace. And the standings can change if people are willing to make moves, trades, and just generally pay attention to what is going on. For example in the K category I'm about 6th. But judging by how everyone is using pitchers I feel like I can still finish first in that category which will give me a nice jump. I do agree that head to head keeps things jumping a little more. I'll play either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:34 pm 

I'm open to lowering the number of keepers. I'd also propose an alternative idea that is used in some of my other leagues, and that is you can only keep a player for (x) years. In one league I play in we have a 3 year limit. In another league, you cannot keep the same player in 2 consecutive years. So while you have a lot of keepers, you are forced to trade them to get *different* keepers. It forces everyone to make blockbuster trades throughout the season and makes the league a lot more fun.

First things first though...do we want to keep the deadline as Aug 10, push it back 2 weeks, or abolish it? Default is Aug 10 unless you guys tell me differently.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm 

August 10th is fine with me, I havent made many moves because I've waiting for the deadline (July 31st, MLB deadline) incase any of my starters became bench/platoon guys somewhere else...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:51 am 

I like adding some type of stipulation on how long you can keep a player. And I'm open to whatever date...Aug. 10 is fine or later is fine. Whatever everyone else wants is fine by me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:24 am 

Looks like fun to me. Is there room for one more next season? When and how do I join?

And how do I find out the rules? Yes, I am ignorant of this too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:52 am 

Hey guys-

Sorry I haven't addressed the league issues since the end of the season...been busy with all my fantasy hockey drafts and such. Anyways, I've been thinking about what to do with the keeper situation, and think that the rules that one of my dynasty leagues used last year might be the fairest way to do things. This dynasty league was a deep keeper league, and we wanted to expand by 3 teams, so we set up a method that has apparently worked in other leagues as well. Here is what I propose (a bit complicated...):

1. 10 keepers per team. Your keepers must come from your season-ending roster (I've copied them all to Excel and can email them to everyone to ensure no cheating...ie "No, I swear I had Arod on my team"). The deadline to declare your keepers, via a post on this board, would be March 1. Until that time, trades are permitted, and again, that can be conducted on this board. After keepers are declared, trades stop.

2. Of your 10 keepers, you are required to designate 4 of those players for an expansion draft. That will give us 36 players of the top 90 that are available, and will allow us to get 3 more teams in the league, bringing it to an even dozen. The expansion draft will take place about a week before our league draft. Essentially, what that guarantees is that each expansion team would have 10 of the top 90 players.

3. After the expansion draft, each team will be allowed to select additional players from their rosters to replace the keepers that they lost in the expansion draft, so that each team has 10 players.

4. Following the league draft, we go back to Yahoo! rules, same as this season.

5. No team may keep the same player for more than 2 consecutive seasons. This will guarantee that there are more blockbuster trades and makes the league much, much, much more interesting.

So, all I need to know now is if anyone is NOT interested in continuing to play next year. Obviously, if we have people drop out, new people will inherit their team instead of getting an expansion team. I say this because we haven't heard from TheShark lately....

This would be a lot simpler if Yahoo did keeper leagues, but I don't know of any sites that allow free keeper leagues these days.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:09 am 

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but did we call this a keeper league from the beginning. I really don't remember. Because I would draft totally different for a keeper league then a one-year league. Just throwing it out there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:12 am 

bucco boy wrote:
I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but did we call this a keeper league from the beginning. I really don't remember. Because I would draft totally different for a keeper league then a one-year league. Just throwing it out there.

BB-

Yeah, it was going to be keeper from the beginning. The debate was how many keepers we would have...initially I suggested 15 (I personally favor deep keepers) but at the time of the draft it was agreed to be 10. Then in this thread, PP astutely brought up the fact that having 10 keepers would make it harder for new teams.

At least, that is my recollection.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:53 pm 

BBF,

I would somehow record those rosters soon. I think the teams disappear.

BB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:03 pm 

Already have an excel spreadsheet, ready to go. I'm actually kind of hankering to do some offseason trading. My fantasy hockey team is in the shitter, so I might as well start thinking about baseball again!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:32 pm 

I'm gonna push trading Jack Wilson to someone for like 5 players!!!!

When do we need to in turn our list of players we are going to keep?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:27 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I'm gonna push trading Jack Wilson to someone for like 5 players!!!!

When do we need to in turn our list of players we are going to keep?

1. 10 keepers per team. Your keepers must come from your season-ending roster (I've copied them all to Excel and can email them to everyone to ensure no cheating...ie "No, I swear I had Arod on my team"). The deadline to declare your keepers, via a post on this board, would be March 1. Until that time, trades are permitted, and again, that can be conducted on this board. After keepers are declared, trades stop.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:46 pm 

How are you going to phase new players in?

One way would be to have a draft and your keepers would count as a draft pick so if you keep 8, you don't pick to the ninth round. All the new players would select every round.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:58 pm 

2. Of your 10 keepers, you are required to designate 4 of those players for an expansion draft. That will give us 36 players of the top 90 that are available, and will allow us to get 3 more teams in the league, bringing it to an even dozen.

Note that this assumes that everyone who played this year continues. Maybe I could ask everyone who played last year and wishes to continue to send me a PM. Otherwise, their teams would get "sold" to new owners as well.

Last edited by BBF on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:19 pm 

What if you don't want to keep 10?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:28 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
What if you don't want to keep 10?

Make a couple 2-for-1 trades with someone who has too many keepers (ie the Cleveland Steamers)
;) ;)

But in all seriousness, the easiest thing to do is to sell off a stud for several keepers. I was in that position last year in 2 of my leagues, and got a TON in return for CC and a TON for Texiera by exploiting teams that had to guys they would otherwise lose because they had "too many" keepers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:54 pm 

So the rule is you have to keep 10?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:34 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
So the rule is you have to keep 10?

I honestly don't know the answer to that question. I'm not making up rules, I'm going by what I've played in in the past. And in every keeper league, everyone keeps the max. I guess if you only wanted to keep 8 for instance, you would only have to make 2 available for an expansion draft, but then your roster would be short 2 players at draft time. I guess then you would get two free waiver claims after the draft? I would imagine guys on your roster are probably better than guys that go undrafted though. Unless there are other suggestions?

Hmmm...a GM that likes carry empty roster spots...did you attend the Dave Littlefield Fantasy Baseball School? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:28 pm 

I am just checking because I have played in a keeper league where you get a draft pick rather then the keeper.

It doesn't matter to me. I just wanted to clarify the rule.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next