Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Board's Fantasy Baseball League
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 am 

Ryann-

There was only one spot left and Corsair asked for it. He has yet to sign up or reply to any email though, so if I don't hear from him by the end of this week, he loses out and the spot goes to you. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am 

BBF,

How are you replenishing the keepers you lose? For instance, if I lose three keepers, I will have seven on my roster and say you lose zero, you will have ten. Do those three keepers get replaced at the end of the draft?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:12 am 

bucco boy wrote:
BBF,

How are you replenishing the keepers you lose? For instance, if I lose three keepers, I will have seven on my roster and say you lose zero, you will have ten. Do those three keepers get replaced at the end of the draft?

Traditionally, you replace the 3 you lost with 3 other players from your roster. I see no reason why we couldn't give the option of either replacing those guys from your season ending roster or getting compensation picks at the end of the draft.

Actually, one league I am in does a staggered keeper system (ie 1st place team keeps 5, 2nd place keeps 6, etc etc) and then adds compensation picks in between every round from round 3 to round 7. To do this though they have to have an offline draft, which means you can't pre-rank players, everyone has to be there, and quite frankly is a huge hassle for the commish. But I think Yahoo would allow us to do compensation picks at the end of the draft without a problem. The question is, which is better...3 other guys from your roster or 3 guys at the end of the draft?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:39 am 

BBF wrote:
Traditionally, you replace the 3 you lost with 3 other players from your roster. I see no reason why we couldn't give the option of either replacing those guys from your season ending roster or getting compensation picks at the end of the draft.

Well considering I kind of took into consideration the former when making up my list, I hope it stays that way. I thought that was kind of a done deal?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 am 

Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:

Well considering I kind of took into consideration the former when making up my list, I hope it stays that way. I thought that was kind of a done deal?

I'm all for keeping it that way, but if someone wanted to have three extra picks at the very end of the draft, I don't see why that would hurt...it would be, in effect, the same as keeping three players from your roster then dumping them after the draft and picking up 3 other undrafted guys.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:11 am 

chetthespian wrote:
Hey BBF--I'm not going to be around that night, but if that works for most people then I'll pre-rank.

chet- I tried to schedule the draft for the last weeknight before the start of the regular season. However, if >5 people have trouble making it then, we can talk about moving it if there are still times available on Yahoo!.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:16 pm 

Thanks BBF. I understand how hard it is to try and get everyone together. No worries.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:08 pm 

Hey all-

So we are still waiting on 2 things before we can move forward:

1. Shark to post his keepers.

2. Corsair to join.

I think the latest we could do the expansion draft and still have time to get the rosters reset, etc. would be this Thursday. That would give everyone a week to replace keepers they lose, for me to enter the keepers into Yahoo, etc. So, here is what I propose going forward...since Shark and Corsair have not replied either to private message or email, I will give them until Tuesday morning. At that point, if Shark hasn't posted his keepers, I will choose them for him based on average draft position. His top ten players based on that will be his keepers, with #'s 7-10 going in the expansion draft. That's as objective as I can be, I think.

As for Corsair, if he hasn't replied by Tuesday, if Corsair hasn't joined up, then I'll offer the spot to Ryann.

Expansion draft will take place no later than Thursday evening.

Sound fair? Any objections?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:51 am 

Ok, so it is Tuesday morning. Still have heard nothing from Shark or Corsair. At this point, I will invite Ryann to take the last open spot. I will post Shark's keepers. If I hear nothing him by the time of the draft, we can invite someone to replace him and take over his roster.

Shark's Keepers:

B. Phillips
S. Drew
C. Jones
V. Guerrero
J. Votto
D. Ortiz
V. Wells *
J. Dye *
C. Billingsley *
E. Volquez *

These were chosen by ADP, as it was as objective as I could be. I'll post a complete list of expansion-draft eligible players shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:01 pm 

BBF:

I had no idea where to post this but figured this thread to be the best option. Now that we have the drafts over with, I'd like to get a handle on a few issues that may or may not have been dealt with already (I was too lazy to search multiple listings):

1 - How long can we keep "keepers"? I believe that you had mentioned two years? Is that official?

2 - How are guys kept on my roster BUT not on a major league 25 man roster handled under the keeper rules? For example I'm carrying Cutch and Price with the hope that they'll eventually get called up. Assuming a two year clock, does it start now? I hope not. I enjoy the prospect mining aspect of fantasy sports and believe losing a year of eligibility on guys like Price would ruin this as I'd be much less inclined to carry a prospect if I'm effectively only getting a year of service. Perhaps we pick a date and say that if that person is not on the 25 man roster by then, their clock won't start this season?

3 - Is there a place on the Yahoo league site where we can put all these rules in writing so that we have documentation in one easy to find spot?

That's it for now. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:33 pm 

Argentum wrote:
BBF:

I had no idea where to post this but figured this thread to be the best option. Now that we have the drafts over with, I'd like to get a handle on a few issues that may or may not have been dealt with already (I was too lazy to search multiple listings):

1 - How long can we keep "keepers"? I believe that you had mentioned two years? Is that official?

2 - How are guys kept on my roster BUT not on a major league 25 man roster handled under the keeper rules? For example I'm carrying Cutch and Price with the hope that they'll eventually get called up. Assuming a two year clock, does it start now? I hope not. I enjoy the prospect mining aspect of fantasy sports and believe losing a year of eligibility on guys like Price would ruin this as I'd be much less inclined to carry a prospect if I'm effectively only getting a year of service. Perhaps we pick a date and say that if that person is not on the 25 man roster by then, their clock won't start this season?

3 - Is there a place on the Yahoo league site where we can put all these rules in writing so that we have documentation in one easy to find spot?

That's it for now. Thanks!

I'll take the easy road and say that I don't make the rules, I just enforce them. Its whatever people want. Perhaps now would be a good time to have that discussion now that we have drafted, and I think I can put them down in a commissioner's note on the league page that should be at least semi-permanent.

As for our previous discussions, I believe what was discussed was to have (or not to have) a 2 year keeper limit, such that you could keep them for 2 OFFSEASONS, in effect having the player for 3 seasons. So, if Cutch doesn't come up until halfway through the year, you still get him for 2 more years after this. But you are right that if you like to go out and mine prospects, you want to have them for a while. We could abolish the keeper limit, we could extend it, we could set a date for clocks to start as you suggest, we could have a "franchise" tag like someone suggested before that would allow us to keep one prospect for longer, etc etc. I'm open to doing it however the majority decides. My 2 cents is that we should have some kind of limit, because how fun is it if one guy gets to keep Hanley, Reyes, Wright, etc infinitely? Plus, it definitely encourages trading of big names.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 pm 

My vote: Endless contracts, or the ability to tag "franchise" players.