Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Fantasy Baseball
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:17 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
I know there are some experts here.

I'm in a YAHOO league and haven't played in about 6-7 years, but I've followed America's past time all the while.

Any advice on:

1. Pirates you'd take a flyer on? (Other than McCutchen, obviously!)
2. 'Sleepers'
3. Busts
4. Guys you hate but would draft anyways (like say... Ryan Braun)
5. Position players I should take early
6. 'Overrated' stats (like SB, BA, etc.)

Without having done my homeword, I'd answer my own questions:

1. Ohlendorf and a healthy Maholm, Garrett Jones and maybe Hanrahan (???) Milledge if he's available late.
2. I'm not too in tune w/ the MLB right now, but I fancy TB and SEA players. Injured P's, too, like Webb and Peavy.
3. Any Met or NL West player other than Adrian Gonzalez and a few Dodgers
4. Some Phillies and MAYBE Braun... maybe... eh...
5. I'm thinking SP's (since there is a lack) and skill positions early followed by 1st, 3rd and OF post 4th round... but again, it's been 6-7 years.
6. I like SB's and Saves, but are these worth it?

Can anyone throw me a bone here? I'm just hoping to finish in the middle of the pack and save face. :)

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fantasy Baseball
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
NSMaster56 wrote:
I know there are some experts here.

I'm in a YAHOO league and haven't played in about 6-7 years, but I've followed America's past time all the while.

Any advice on:

1. Pirates you'd take a flyer on? (Other than McCutchen, obviously!)
2. 'Sleepers'
3. Busts
4. Guys you hate but would draft anyways (like say... Ryan Braun)
5. Position players I should take early
6. 'Overrated' stats (like SB, BA, etc.)

Without having done my homeword, I'd answer my own questions:

1. Ohlendorf and a healthy Maholm, Garrett Jones and maybe Hanrahan (???) Milledge if he's available late.
2. I'm not too in tune w/ the MLB right now, but I fancy TB and SEA players. Injured P's, too, like Webb and Peavy.
3. Any Met or NL West player other than Adrian Gonzalez and a few Dodgers
4. Some Phillies and MAYBE Braun... maybe... eh...
5. I'm thinking SP's (since there is a lack) and skill positions early followed by 1st, 3rd and OF post 4th round... but again, it's been 6-7 years.
6. I like SB's and Saves, but are these worth it?

Can anyone throw me a bone here? I'm just hoping to finish in the middle of the pack and save face. :)



I'd be glad to help, I have about 20 years exp., but I need to know your league settings. How many teams, MLB or NL only, what stat categories, roto vs H2H?


BTW, we really need owners for the board league on yahoo, any interest? The rules are on the Fantasy games thread.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fantasy Baseball
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
I'll echo what barry said- we can help you but players values can vary drastically depending on the league settings so we would need more info.

And please consider joining the board league- we are the very definition of mediocre!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fantasy Baseball
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:12 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
12 teams, H2H, all-MLB, and...

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL, DL

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS), Extra Base Hits (XBH)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

I doubt the blokes I'm playing with are all ringers. :lol:

I'll check out the fantasy board league, too. But if I do join, be sure to leave some Bucs for me! :mrgreen:

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fantasy Baseball
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
NSMaster56 wrote:
12 teams, H2H, all-MLB, and...

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL, DL

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS), Extra Base Hits (XBH)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

I doubt the blokes I'm playing with are all ringers. :lol:

I'll check out the fantasy board league, too. But if I do join, be sure to leave some Bucs for me! :mrgreen:



I'll start with your #6 question - in your format power hitters and SP will be heavily favored over speed guys and saves. You have way more categories for those players (SP W, K, CG, SHO, QS)(Sluggers HR, RBI, TB, OPS, XBH). Also with only 1 starting C, you can either go big with Mauer early or punt and wait till the end of the draft and have your choice of a bunch of similar guys.

1) Buccos - Clement is sneaky as a C eligible way late, Doumit may be a nice target at C since he will hang around until the 10th C or so, Jones would make a good UTIL with OF/1B, Iwamura wouldn't be a terrible fallback at 2B at the end if you miss the top guys, Milledge could be a decent late round flier for the bench, I like the SP in this order - Maholm, Morton, Ohly, Duke, but none of these guys are top 5 fantasy SP, Dotel of course as a 3rd tier closer.

2) Sleepers - There's always so many out there, look for post-hype guys like a Jay Bruce, Stephen Drew, or Alex Gordon. A year ago these guys all went very high, this year they'll fall back to a reasonable risk/reward level. Alternatively, there's always breakout rookies to target late. Second and third year guys that were top prospects often breakout as well. There's also the age 27 effect for hitters (usually a breakout year) and guys in contract years (D.Lee, Carlos Pena to name a few). You're always better off rolling the dice on potential for your bench rather than taking a solid unspetacular vet. You can get the vet later on waivers if it doesn't work out.

3) Busts - You gotta watch for the 1 year wonders, guys that weren't considered very good but had a big year (I hate to mention the Legend here, but he qualifies). Also look out for SP who had bad peripherals (K/9, WHIP) yet won a lot and had good ERA's (Jarrod Washburn, Zach Duke anyone).

4) Guys I hate but take - Tony LaRussa players - this guy is the Mike Shanahan of fantasy baseball, he constantly changes the lineup and his bullpen making them very risky. Any Yankee, Red Sox, or Cubs fits here.

5) Position Players - Scarcity is the name of the game, rank you players by position by tier. Try and get as many top tier players as you can. There are more quality 1B than 2B and SS, so take a MI first then get your 1B later. The only place where I don't consider scaricty is round 1, you want an absolute stud regardless of position. There are 30 closers and saves are the hardest thing to predict, so unless your getting an elite closer (Rivera, Krod, Nathan) forget it and take 3 or 4 later. There are also many quality SP beyond the Johan, LinceK tier, so favor hitting early then load up on #2 and #3 fantasy starters. A staff made up of guys like Wainwright, Cain, Jered Weaver, Gallardo etc will outperform a top heavy rotation.


Hope that helps, its only my opinion, so I'm sure others would say some different things. I have very little H2H experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fantasy Baseball
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:50 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
Barrys Dopers wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
12 teams, H2H, all-MLB, and...

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL, DL

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS), Extra Base Hits (XBH)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

I doubt the blokes I'm playing with are all ringers. :lol:

I'll check out the fantasy board league, too. But if I do join, be sure to leave some Bucs for me! :mrgreen:



I'll start with your #6 question - in your format power hitters and SP will be heavily favored over speed guys and saves. You have way more categories for those players (SP W, K, CG, SHO, QS)(Sluggers HR, RBI, TB, OPS, XBH). Also with only 1 starting C, you can either go big with Mauer early or punt and wait till the end of the draft and have your choice of a bunch of similar guys.

1) Buccos - Clement is sneaky as a C eligible way late, Doumit may be a nice target at C since he will hang around until the 10th C or so, Jones would make a good UTIL with OF/1B, Iwamura wouldn't be a terrible fallback at 2B at the end if you miss the top guys, Milledge could be a decent late round flier for the bench, I like the SP in this order - Maholm, Morton, Ohly, Duke, but none of these guys are top 5 fantasy SP, Dotel of course as a 3rd tier closer.

2) Sleepers - There's always so many out there, look for post-hype guys like a Jay Bruce, Stephen Drew, or Alex Gordon. A year ago these guys all went very high, this year they'll fall back to a reasonable risk/reward level. Alternatively, there's always breakout rookies to target late. Second and third year guys that were top prospects often breakout as well. There's also the age 27 effect for hitters (usually a breakout year) and guys in contract years (D.Lee, Carlos Pena to name a few). You're always better off rolling the dice on potential for your bench rather than taking a solid unspetacular vet. You can get the vet later on waivers if it doesn't work out.

3) Busts - You gotta watch for the 1 year wonders, guys that weren't considered very good but had a big year (I hate to mention the Legend here, but he qualifies). Also look out for SP who had bad peripherals (K/9, WHIP) yet won a lot and had good ERA's (Jarrod Washburn, Zach Duke anyone).

4) Guys I hate but take - Tony LaRussa players - this guy is the Mike Shanahan of fantasy baseball, he constantly changes the lineup and his bullpen making them very risky. Any Yankee, Red Sox, or Cubs fits here.

5) Position Players - Scarcity is the name of the game, rank you players by position by tier. Try and get as many top tier players as you can. There are more quality 1B than 2B and SS, so take a MI first then get your 1B later. The only place where I don't consider scaricty is round 1, you want an absolute stud regardless of position. There are 30 closers and saves are the hardest thing to predict, so unless your getting an elite closer (Rivera, Krod, Nathan) forget it and take 3 or 4 later. There are also many quality SP beyond the Johan, LinceK tier, so favor hitting early then load up on #2 and #3 fantasy starters. A staff made up of guys like Wainwright, Cain, Jered Weaver, Gallardo etc will outperform a top heavy rotation.


Hope that helps, its only my opinion, so I'm sure others would say some different things. I have very little H2H experience, so take it with a grain of salt.


Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to reference it along with the FB mag I purchase and study like hell.

The only thing I have supposed thus far is that in a 12-team league I'll have to scoop up an Ace pitcher or two early and rely on RP's late (like you say, Saves are a crapshoot anyways).

I don't want to be like last time where my rotation is anchored by Odalis Perez, Josh Fogg and Kip Wells (Hey, I was 16 and those two weren't THAT bad... or good :lol: )

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits