Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Let's start talking fantasy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
BBF, are you going to try to fill team for team or do a dispersal draft for the new guys? With so many new teams a dispersal may be the best way to go.

First we have to get the new guys. I think that would be the fairest way to go. But it isn't my league, I just help organize it. Whatever people think is best. Maybe we can ask the new owners what they prefer- a dispersal draft or a lottery where they might get the best of the teams or a real stinker.

Dan- I'm hesitant to let someone own two teams. First, it would require two Yahoo ID's. Second, while theoretically a commissioner could prevent shady deals, I'm still not sure it would be entirely fair for various other reasons. If we have to, maybe I can think of a way to "Montreal Expos" a team. But let's try and get 3 more owners first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 am 

BBF, BuccoBoy...

i am completely new to this.. if i read this correct the original teams will stay with the same players and the rest is in the draft pool? or can the original teams protect some stars and rest filled in pool... or?

gives me a clearer view of what is going to happen, because everybody knows.. dutch coaches are talented :D

and can i see the league i am in.. ?

and is this also an espn league? and do i need another registration if i also play with my baseballbuddies in holland in a complete different league....

cheerio

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:43 am 

The league was housed on yahoo last year, probably the best of the free league websites. If past trends hold, they usually launch the leagues on the 1st or 2nd Tuesday of Feb. Nothing up yet, so either later today or next week, most likely.

A few details, it was a 12 team MLB league with 10 keepers per team. I can't remember was the draft a snake or straight? BBF, howabout a brief league constitution?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:33 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
league constitution?

Constitution? Sheesh. Ok, I'll give it a try. A couple points at the end that we should decide- 1. how to handle the allocation of rosters to new managers and 2. whether we should be able to trade draft picks if yahoo makes it possible.

Pirate Boarder League Guidelines

I. Managers

The league shall strive for 12 managers each season, and the number of managers shall be 12. 13 managers shalt we not have, neither have we 11, excepting that we then proceedest onto 12. Managers shall be members of the UPPMB, though there are no requirements for how long a manager must have been a member or how often they contribute to the message board.
In extraordinary circumstances, a manager spot may be made available to someone that is not a member of the UPPMB, but only after advertisements posted both on the Rotunda and on the Fantasy Baseball boards have failed to achieve 12 managers.

II. Rosters

Rosters for each team will be made up of 25 players as broken down below. In addition, there will be 3 disabled list positions.
Position Players: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, UT
Pitchers: SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P
Bench: 4 spots, may be position players or pitchers

III. Keepers

Managers may keep 10 players each year. There is no limit to the number of years a manager may keep a player. The deadline to determine which players you keep will be announced on the UPPMB Fantasy Sports board each year, but will generally be approximately two weeks prior to the draft. The 10 players may be any combination of position players and pitchers, with the only requirement be that they were on that manager’s roster on the final day of league play in the preceding year.

IV. Draft

The draft will take place each year as close to the end of spring training as possible. It will be 15 rounds long (15 rounds + 10 keepers = 25 players). The draft will be snaking, with the first round going in reverse order of the previous season’s final standings (ie last place team has the 1st pick, first place team has the 12th and 13th pick).

V. Waivers

The initial waiver claim order will be the opposite of the draft order, so that the team with the first draft pick has the last waiver claim. Once you use your waiver claim, you will go to the bottom of the waiver list.

VI. Trades

Trades are permitted (and encouraged) from the time of the draft through the trading deadline (mid-August). It is also possible to make trades, via the UPPMB, in the offseason. In that case, the trade must be sent to the commissioner and made public to the rest of the managers.

All trades are subject to commissioner approval, and will be subject to a 2 day wait. If there is a protest of the trade, the person filing the protest will notify the commissioner. The commissioner will then try to resolve the protest, and, if the protester is unsatisfied, will put the trade up for a league vote.

VII. New Managers

In mid-January, the commissioner will ask all previous managers if they are interested in returning. If there are managers not interested in returning, their rosters will be preserved, and a call for new managers will be posted on both the Rotunda and the Fantasy Baseball board. In extreme circumstances, if there are still unfilled spots, the commissioner may ask managers for suggestions for other players who are not contributors to the UPPMB.

If multiple managers need to be replaced in any given season, one of two options may be used for assigning teams:

A. Option #1
New managers will be randomly assigned to available teams by a neutral, blinded third party. The new managers will inherit the roster (from which they may choose their keepers or make trades) and draft position.

B. Option #2
New managers will participate in a ten round dispersal draft to get 10 keepers. For example, if 3 teams are available, and 3 new managers join, the 3 managers will have a ten round draft from which they will choose players from the available rosters. The new managers will then draft 1-3 in the league draft in the opposite order that they drafted in the dispersal draft (does this explanation make sense?)

VIII. Trading Draft Picks

Since trading in the offseason is possible, it may be advantageous for teams with fewer than 10 keepers to be able to trade their draft picks for keepers. I have heard rumors that Yahoo made changes to their draft format that will allow commissioners to edit the draft order in this way. If that is the case, then we may take a vote on whether to allow trading of draft picks. If not, forget about it, because I am not going to try to organize an offline draft.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 am 

BBF wrote:
IV. Draft

The draft will take place each year as close to the end of spring training as possible. It will be 15 rounds long (15 rounds + 10 keepers = 25 players). The draft will be snaking, with the first round going in reverse order of the previous season’s final standings (ie last place team has the 1st pick, first place team has the 12th and 13th pick).

I will bring up a small issue with this. This has come up in other drafts. Drafting worst to first doesn't necessarily work in the snake draft. Some people think that the last spot is the best spot in a snake draft so you are really giving the 1st place team a better spot. (Hey, wait that's me)

I make two suggestions. Either 1. Get rid of the snake draft and go worst to first. Or 2. Let the worst team select the draft position they want and then the second worst select their spot etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
BBF wrote:
IV. Draft

I will bring up a small issue with this. This has come up in other drafts. Drafting worst to first doesn't necessarily work in the snake draft. Some people think that the last spot is the best spot in a snake draft so you are really giving the 1st place team a better spot. (Hey, wait that's me)

I make two suggestions. Either 1. Get rid of the snake draft and go worst to first. Or 2. Let the worst team select the draft position they want and then the second worst select their spot etc.

I'm fine with a straight draft since we keep so many and teh top teams will have a keeper advantage.

The leagues are open on Yahoo, so we can get things setup now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:42 pm 

1. The league is set up. All returning managers should have received an invitation. I need Chris Anderson and PiratesfaninNL to send me a PM with their email address or yahoo! ID so that I can send them invites.

2. I'm fine with changing the draft to a straight worst-to-first if that's what everyone wants. Can make the change soon.

3. We still need 3 managers. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:10 am 

I would much rather have fewer owners who are active than reach and find guys who may not make the effort once the season gets going. I assume we know which teams need owners so if you have some new owners maybe you let them pick which teams they want to "assume control of" and any teams that don't have new ownership can be disbanded and those players can be thrown back in to the draft pool.

I actually would prefer reducing the number of keepers and keeping it a snake draft. With the turnover in ownership it may make it a bit more enticing for potential new owners and also balance things out for all teams. If keeping at 10 keepers then I think you definitely should switch it to a worst to first straight draft.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:49 am 

A 10 team league can work. I am for that as well. But 9 will not. Have to get at least one more team.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:42 am 

We can certainly find some good owners outside of the board, but that may not be desirable. BBF, let me know if you want me to find a few takers from the CBS board. I agree that 10 would be the minimum for a MLB league unless we add more starting positions, 12 really works best to insure adequate depth, but dead teams help no one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:26 am 

*** Minsk Orange Models ***

they are officially INN!!

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:25 am 

I'm in....Renamed the team...Smizik Needs a Wig

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:03 am 

A couple quick notes-

1. I've sent out 12 invites, and only have 10 teams signed in so far. If you received an invite and haven't joined, please do so. If you have changed your mind, please let me know, as I have started a waiting list. I also can't do any changes to the league settings until everyone has joined.

2. Two of the new owners have requested we do a dispersal draft of the available players, instead of directly inheriting a team. If there is consensus among the remaining new owners, this is what we will do. This shouldn't affect any of the returning owners.

3. We need to set a keeper deadline- how about March 20? That gives me a couple days to track down people who don't declare their keepers, but allows for the maximum amount of time to make trades.

4. I still believe that Yahoo will allow me to manually set the draft order of each round, which means we can trade draft picks for keepers if we desire.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:29 am 

Looks like we have all 12 now, so is the player dispersal draft next? It looks like we have 5 new teams is that correct?

March 20 seems fine to me for a keeper date as long as we get the new teams filled soon so we have a few weeks for trading.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 pm 

Come on. Let's play ball! Trade with me, trade with me, trade with me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:44 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Looks like we have all 12 now, so is the player dispersal draft next? It looks like we have 5 new teams is that correct?

March 20 seems fine to me for a keeper date as long as we get the new teams filled soon so we have a few weeks for trading.

Yes, the dispersal draft is next. It should begin this weekend, if I can get all the new owners on board. That should give plenty of time for trading.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:35 am 

i am completely ready....

shame Matt Capps is not avaiable.. he would be my 1st pick............................

........ not..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 pm 

So...when is the dispersal draft for us newbies??!?!?!?! I am chomping at the bit!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:01 pm 

Still waiting for a couple stragglers to reply to the email- as soon as I get the replies, I'll start the draft.