Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fantasy Baseball...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:37 am 

Hey guys.. i just made my own competition with my own baseball team on ESPN fantasy baseball..

it's everybody's 1st time they play it.. so give me some tips..

who should i draft directly..?

what position should i draft 1st?

Who are outside shots that prolly nobody takes directly.. and happens to get very good..!!

and for my own personal baseball highlights.. i just made my first single handed triple play!! how sweet it was...

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

Post subject: Re: Fantasy Baseball...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:44 pm 

IMO, Go position players first unless a Santana, Sabathia or Lincecum are available in the second or third round. Usually, seven or eight rounds of position players in your first 10 picks is a good strategy with the pitchers coming at the end of the those 10 rounds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:51 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
IMO, Go position players first unless a Santana, Sabathia or Lincecum are available in the second or third round. Usually, seven or eight rounds of position players in your first 10 picks is a good strategy with the pitchers coming at the end of the those 10 rounds.

Well said, BB. To add to that, I would say to be aware of positional scarcity, but don't let it overwhelm you. That is, a great shortstop is more valuable than a great outfielder; however, once those great shortstops are gone, don't take a "B group" shortstop in front of a better outfielder, because the drop-off among that shortstop and others in the "B group" is not that big, nor is the drop off between the B group and the C group. In other words, take the best player available, but when in doubt, choose the guy in the position that is hardest to fill.

Also, don't overvalue closers. You can always pick up guys for saves at the end of the draft, and sometimes even off of the waiver wire. Let someone else waste an early pick or 2 on closers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:00 pm 

My strategies:

The two weakest positions in terms of offensive production - all that matters in fantasy baseball - are SS and C.

Get a top SS with first pick, then top C. Try to get a good 2nd baseman early, since there are maybe 10-12 worth anything.

If a top starter is available, get him within the first 4 rounds. Good WHIP and K pitchers are a premium. You are not going to get Santana or Lincecum unless you go with that pick in the first 5-6.

But getting a guy like Nolasco or Liriano in the later rounds will produce a lot of value. Those guys project as having good K numbers, wins, and WHIP.

The last positions that I pick are outfielders and relievers. Every year, 10 guys at those positions who were basically unknowns have monster years. Last year, I had Brian Wilson as a 24th round pick. He wound up with 41 saves. I also picked McLouth in the 15th round, and he was a monster most of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:55 am 

During the season i am going to be doing a fantasy report in the fantasy forum.It will only be updated once a week or once a month but i would like it if we can get some good fantasy conversation going.That is what i was really trying to get to when i said there isn't a place for other baseball besides the Pirates on this board.I play Yahoo fantasy only so my views might be different than others who play elsewhere.